What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

super_coach

First Grade
Maybe it’s time to talk to the bears,Newtown,central coast,Illawarra,Perth,Port Morsbey and start a break away comp. Because the NRL is powering down a giant slippery dip

axl rose

Bench
In saying that, most days of the week the NRL are made to look foolish and nothing seems to ever happen to their leadership

Cricket Australia just did a full audit/cleanout of head office. The NRL is long overdue for one. Amazingly the 'independent' commission had done a worse job then Gallop/News Ltd. They looked around the world for a CEO and then ended up settling on a reject like Greenberg down the hall who they did not even want. You'd think they would at least hold him accountable for his gross incompetence.

super_coach

First Grade
Cricket Australia just did a full audit/cleanout of head office. The NRL is long overdue for one. Amazingly the 'independent' commission had done a worse job then Gallop/News Ltd. They looked around the world for a CEO and then ended up settling on a reject like Greenberg down the hall who they did not even want. You'd think they would at least hold him accountable for his gross incompetence.

Greenberg is just the mouthpiece for the big guys who run the game. They say jump and Toddy says how high. Just happens these big guys are also connected with a few of our bigger clubs....funny that

Ron's_Mate

Bench
It was also a shitty act for the NRL to announce the Tigers sanctions at the same time as the Sharks ones. The Sharks case is a clear cut breach of the rules. As noted the Tigers case is more one of lack of clarity, but by bundling them together the NRL is trying to tar the Tigers with the same brush as the Sharks. Such an obvious PR strategy on their part.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Tigers fans have been very vocal/united on social media if that's anything to go by. Hopefully a few more of them sign up as members, we are a disgrace compared to Souths in that department. Perhaps Madge can take that siege mentality into next year and it will rub off on some of the players, especially if players start getting forced out.

It’s hard to go by membership numbers because we have great membership numbers but some of our home games are a disgrace in terms of members showing up. Madge will be great in terms of of the culture that the tigers are trying to build. He’s actually a good bloke which you don’t come around too often in rugby league. In my opinion Seibold benefitted greatly off of Madge’s hard work in 2017. The roster was there for him. All he had to do was show us how to hold the ball. Madge does what’s best for the team and not for himself and that’s why he’s going to kill it at the tigers.

I'm still trying to work out how the punishment fits the alleged crime. You would be hard pressed to find anyone who has read the reports and said "dirty tigers cheats" most would say so what? I've fired off my email to NRL asking them to explain:

1. They say Pascoe has deliberately misled them. How exactly?
2. How have we benefited under the cap?
3. Why have we been sanctioned equally or more heavily than teams providing false documentation and committed financial crimes using TPA's?
4. Why are they only taking action now even though the information they based their decision on was available years ago?
5. Why is it that Cameron Smith and JT can have a testimonial match, financially benefiting them both, without it being included in their respective teams caps. One of them had not even indicated he was retiring
6. Why other players such as JT have announced similar roles with their clubs after retirement and this has not resulted in sanctions? I have asked if there are active investigations and if not, why not?
7. It was widely reported Cooper cronk played a round of golf with politis. Politis missed something like a 2 foot putt to lose a $200k bet to cronk. Is this being investigated and if not why not?
8. I've gone through the roosters squad player by player and assigned what has either been reported as the players contract value or what I consider fair market value. I've included the $300k TPA figure reported on the NRL website. Unsurprisingly it doesn't add up. I've asked for a please explain. I've also mentioned the NRL used the fair market value rule when they refused parra's contract for folau.

I wait with baited breath for a reply.

If we have deceived the NRL, how? If Pascoe deliberately mislead them, how? As fans, or key stakeholders as they like to crap on with, we deserve answers. There has not been transparency here.

I agree with others we should just sue. And if we win sue for reputations damage. Unfortunately the courts are now closed so it will have to wait for next year. While I appreciate brydens patronage I would employ a legal team that doesn't so closely resemble Dr nick Riviera

simmo05

Bench
I'm still trying to work out how the punishment fits the alleged crime. You would be hard pressed to find anyone who has read the reports and said "dirty tigers cheats" most would say so what? I've fired off my email to NRL asking them to explain:

1. They say Pascoe has deliberately misled them. How exactly?
2. How have we benefited under the cap?
3. Why have we been sanctioned equally or more heavily than teams providing false documentation and committed financial crimes using TPA's?
4. Why are they only taking action now even though the information they based their decision on was available years ago?
5. Why is it that Cameron Smith and JT can have a testimonial match, financially benefiting them both, without it being included in their respective teams caps. One of them had not even indicated he was retiring
6. Why other players such as JT have announced similar roles with their clubs after retirement and this has not resulted in sanctions? I have asked if there are active investigations and if not, why not?
7. It was widely reported Cooper cronk played a round of golf with politis. Politis missed something like a 2 foot putt to lose a $200k bet to cronk. Is this being investigated and if not why not?
8. I've gone through the roosters squad player by player and assigned what has either been reported as the players contract value or what I consider fair market value. I've included the $300k TPA figure reported on the NRL website. Unsurprisingly it doesn't add up. I've asked for a please explain. I've also mentioned the NRL used the fair market value rule when they refused parra's contract for folau.

I wait with baited breath for a reply.

If we have deceived the NRL, how? If Pascoe deliberately mislead them, how? As fans, or key stakeholders as they like to crap on with, we deserve answers. There has not been transparency here.

I agree with others we should just sue. And if we win sue for reputations damage. Unfortunately the courts are now closed so it will have to wait for next year. While I appreciate brydens patronage I would employ a legal team that doesn't so closely resemble Dr nick Riviera
All very valid questions mate. I asked a few questions last year and got basically an automated response. Maybe put the questions to f**kwitburg on twitter.
What else can you do? The nrl does not even attempt to hide the double standards now. They do not give a f**k about anyone other than the cheating merkins melbourne, and the yet to be caught cheating merkins roosters

axl rose

Bench
It’s hard to go by membership numbers because we have great membership numbers but some of our home games are a disgrace in terms of members showing up.

Much like the Tigers your fans are spread across the country. Id be interested how many out of town members the Tigers have. A quick poll of a few hundred Tigers fans on facebook the other day and only a few still lived in Sydney. A vast amount, like myself, from enemy territory in QLD.

gordsy

Juniors
Found this on twitter "Pascoe requested special Cap dispensation from the NRL on the basis of Farah's release being related to his presence causing reputational risk to their Club. At the same time he entered into a highly paid post-career ambassador role with the same player." and this on news.com.au
We have obtained documents which show that the club entered an agreement to pay Robbie Farah to act as an ambassador at the club when he retires from playing,” Greenberg said.

“This agreement was signed in 2016, at the same time Robbie left the club to join the Rabbitohs.

“The game’s rules are very, very clear on these arrangements.

“Any commitment to make such a payment should have been disclosed and should have been included in the salary cap. The club failed to do this.

“The club then compounded its conduct by submitting a misleading application to the NRL in relation to the salary cap treatment of money paid to Robbie when he left the club.”

So from that I gather you can't pay the ambassador gig as well as having getting the nrl to pay us to get rid of him, as they think the ambassador gig was his take it and go money. Reading between the lines even if he hasn't taken it up he could in a year or two which the Nrl deems as us gaining an unfair advantage. Right or wrong it was Pascoe's job to know this and he didn't or did and did a poor job or covering it up. Either way he carries the can.

super_coach

First Grade
This whole thing was very well planned by the NRL

1/ couple it with the Flanno breach at the Sharks to try and create a hard but fair image with the public

2/ Deliver the verdict and punishment days before the Christmas break, in order to give both the public and the media less time to discredit their judgement .

The NRL have got this one all wrong, the fans and the press for years have been questioning the cap and it’s policing. So they decided they have to look to be doing something so they find a sacrificial lamb, of course it is not one of the clubs everyone has been up in arms about, it’s a small fish.

Anyway Greenberg has packed up shop and bolted for holidays. I just hope when he gets back we have a legal team that’s belts the tripe out of him and the NRL

super_coach

First Grade
Funny nearly everything I have read in the Media on the breach and the punishment has painted the Tigers to be harshly treated. Of course some have been a little more vocal than others.

Anyway chief league writer for the Sydney Rosters,channel nine and the NRL, Danny Wessel has come out in his Sunday rag, blowing the trumpet for the NRL and basically bagging the Tigers.

Iam not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing given anyone with a double figure IQ would discard anything the Wessel sprouts

Danny weidler is an absolute flea who would run with any story without credibility,who would of thought Ben Teo was such a good judge of character.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Just reading on the NRL site the likely starting side for the Roosters in 2019....gee and we are the ones being labeled as cheating the cap...ar$eholes.

Das Hassler

Bench
Just reading on the NRL site the likely starting side for the Roosters in 2019....gee and we are the ones being labeled as cheating the cap...ar$eholes.

Funny thing about the chooks ...people still talk about brown paper bags....hardly...."Nick always gets his man". ..just think about the implications of that often repeated catchphrase....

From Fox sports at the time of Cronk's signing

" With his manager declaring a few weeks ago that Cronk was keen to explore his options in Sydney, the Roosters were always going to get their man.
A powerful club with strong business connections, Cronk’s desire to grow his business portfolio in Sydney only added to the allure of the Roosters."

There it is right there. ...if anyone thinks there wouldn't be unsigned agreements in place that would blow their cap out of the water if disclosed then they're very niave...there are infinite ways to discreetly enhance a professional athlete's wealth portfolio whether it be immediate or longterm ...some would say they have a similar ideological relationship to the cap as they do with the taxation system...playing by the ethical rules of both is for suckers..i.e. those who have not and will never have a harbour view

Last edited:

macnaz

Staff member
I was speaking with a retired nrl player ( Country rep/State rep/Australian rep) .. bit over 12 months out of the game .. anyway it was early in the day when the news broke about the Tigers& Sharks and i asked him if he had heard the news. Anyway when i explained it he laughed and just said what about the Roosters !!
Its one thing for the public to percieve salary cap issues about particular clubs but when a PLAYER who has achieved the highest accolades in the game also shares that belief there is something seriously wrong. The old saying where there is smoke there is fire IS 99% true about most persistent rugby league rumours ... but some clubs seem to have their very own fire brigade available 24/7 at NRL headquarters ready to extinguish any inkling of a fire.