What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Film (Pre-1970)?

Psychological thrillers and crime (fiction or based on true stories) are probably my favourite genres, but I can appreciate any film with intriguing characters, great plot and screenplay

You may have seen it (as it’s so famous), but truly gripping & compelling stuff in that category would be Double Indemnity.

There is a reason it’s still regarded by so many as the benchmark in detective thrillers. One of the most captivating opening few minutes in any movie I’ve ever seen.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Still haven’t seen Tarantula, I remember twice eagerly awaiting for it appear on Creature Feature back in the early 70s and twice it was supposed to be on when we were having those terrible black outs so I missed out seeing it.
Creature Feature was one of my must sees of week back then along with the original Twilight Zone and Outer Limits.

axl rose

Bench
91XQdEUsqyL._RI_SX200_.jpg

horrie hastings

First Grade
Creature Feature was one of my must sees of week back then along with the original Twilight Zone and Outer Limits.

Used to love being able to stay up late to watch Creature Feature and quite often I wouldn’t make it to the end of the movie and fall asleep on the lounge.

I remember when i was very young one of the Chanel’s ran what I think was a dusk to dawn horror festival ( it may have started later than dusk), it was showing Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolfman and the Mummy and probably more, I was probably to young to watch it but I remember getting up to go to the bathroom and my mother was up watching the movies and I just remember seeing the Pyramids in one of the scenes from the Mummy, not sure why I remember that so clearly, I must have only been about 4 at the time but that has always stuck in my mind.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
And of course Olivia is still going strong at 102 years old. What an innings.

My favourite Hitchcock movies would probably be Rear Window and Psycho.

Olivia is the last remaining link to the Golden age of Hollywood, even at 102 she is still spiritely and gets around well, going to be a sad day when she is gone. The family must have good genes, her father lived to 95, her mother lived to 88 and her sister Joan Fontaine lived to 97.

Yes have to agree about Psycho too, Hitchcock at his manipulative best there, I was on the edge of my seat the whole movie.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
You may have seen it (as it’s so famous), but truly gripping & compelling stuff in that category would be Double Indemnity.

There is a reason it’s still regarded by so many as the benchmark in detective thrillers. One of the most captivating opening few minutes in any movie I’ve ever seen.

Has there ever been an more evil female character in movie history than the one that Barbara Stanwyck portrayed in this movie.

Bronco18

Juniors
Definitely the golden era for Westerns. Some of my favorites:

Once Upon a Time in the West
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Wild Bunch

Also...
2001: A Space Odyssey
Midnight Cowboy
Westside Story
Bonnie and Clyde

horrie hastings

First Grade
El Topo
Vertigo
Yojimbo
Rebel Without A Cause
Sunset Boulavard
Singin' in the Rain
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
It's A Wonderful Life
The Mortal Storm
The Dirty Dozen
Point Blank

Love Sunset Boulavard, Best actress Oscar that year should have gone to either Gloria Swanson for Sunset Boulavard or Bette Davis for All About Eve.