What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Beatte NRL 360 - expansion

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Agree most fans are resilient. However the ones that have abandoned the code are not. These are significant in number I suspect. Diluting/mergering such clubs comes at a cost.

What are the most valuable clubs in terms of brand and fan base in the comp today?
Brisbane
Souths
Parra
Dogs
Storm
Knights
Cowboys
Warriors
Dragons

You will notice that five of them are not from Sydney. This is a good thing for the game. Sydney is very important but we have achieved a good balance of powerful clubs both in Sydney and elsewhere.

Stallion

First Grade
The Newcastle comp is a shell of what it once was even 30 years on.

Very different again. The Newcastle District competition is in tatters as a result of extremely incompetent administrators and dubious inner city club delegates. A decision to play mostly Sunday football by the inner city district clubs have caused an alienation of such clubs in their local district areas. For instance the South Newcastle(current premiers) club has to source under19s players from other areas to field a side in that competition. Meanwhile the Saturday playing local union club has more than 40 players in its under 19s squad (these players get rostered for playing games). Historically the district competition elected to play on Sundays in 1970. From about the mid to late 1970s the local juniors (600 back then) started to go to union in their mid teens. This has now become an annual migration and Souths juniors now number mid 200s to 300 in recent times. The local district grand final(Lakes/Souths) of 1987 had 16000 attending at a local ground. In 2018 the same clubs played in front of 5500 at the Knights stadium. In this same year the Saturday playing local Lower Hunter competition (2nd division) fielded the largest (over 55 teams & growing )number of teams worldwide for a domestic rugby league comp. This competition broke away from being affiliated with the District competition 4 or 5 years ago and alligned with the CRL. They haven't looked back and are very progressive in my opinion . I'll add that the inner city clubs tend to play more Sunday games whereas the outercity clubs from the Coalfields (Cessnock,Maitland, KurriKurri etc)play only on Saturdays. Participation in these areas is high. Not so for the inner city District clubs whom play at least half of their home games on Sundays.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cultural and historical ties with the well known and universally popular Sydney clubs would have been lost with your "plan" Sounded ok but not practical or realistic.In fact 'disastrous' if you accept a blunt description. History and culture along with top flight status goes hand in hand with the most popular rugby competition on Earth. And you want to carve it up!?

Sometimes you have to go through short term pain to get long term gain

tri_colours

Juniors
What are the most valuable clubs in terms of brand and fan base in the comp today?
Brisbane
Souths
Parra
Dogs
Storm
Knights
Cowboys
Warriors
Dragons

You will notice that five of them are not from Sydney. This is a good thing for the game. Sydney is very important but we have achieved a good balance of powerful clubs both in Sydney and elsewhere.

iALSO
Brisbane
Souths
Parra
Dogs
Storm
Knights
Cowboys
Warriors
Dragons

I also noticed that 3 of the top 4 are Sydney Clubs. The Roosters are one of the wealthier clubs and the Panthers is arguably the largest brand name in sport

List of largest sporting brands(2013)

1. Penrith
3. Bulldogs
11. Parramatta
15. Brisbane
18 Canberra
20 Roosters

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Cultural and historical ties with the well known and universally popular Sydney clubs would have been lost with your "plan" Sounded ok but not practical or realistic.In fact 'disastrous' if you accept a blunt description. History and culture along with top flight status goes hand in hand with the most popular rugby competition on Earth. And you want to carve it up!?

Cultural and historical ties with the well known and universally popular BRISBANE clubs didnt kill the game there

What comp? You would have lost the public by that stage! It's pretty simple : If you take something that is culturally the norm and familiar (well established) you lose the cultural significance and supporter loyalty . So if you do so , the public at large will protest and go elsewhere. You don't just flick a switch and expect neutrals and loyal fans to suddenly accept a fanciful restructure causing the loss of things like colours,name,locality and longevity within a club supporter base?! Hope you can see the damage that would occur. Sydney clubs are very parochial and they have been the shining light for rugby league to expand. If they go, just the same as if you did this in the AFL, mass resentment occurs. This sort of thing loses loyalty in established fan bases. THAT MATTERS!

Actually Super Leagues have been PROVEN to work...

A comp placed above an established league, fewer teams, only the very best players, representing much larger areas. You know what that discribes? STATE OF ORIGIN.

Are you gonna admit that this can actually work or are you actually gonna argue that State Of Origin is secretly unsuccessful and unpopular?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'm sure if the ARL had an inkling in the early 90's of what was to come they would have gone down that road of signing the clubs they wanted in their SL to long term contracts and let the Sydney sides fight it out. Hindsight is a wonderful gift! They obviously didnt see it coming so felt that best to keep everyone equal and on one year licenses whilst they got everyone to the point of agreeing criteria for inclusion which they did in 1994. 1995 was first year of criteria meeting but then SL came along. I reckon by '98 they would have got the comp down to the 14 clubs they wanted.

This is my whole point. The ARL were stupid enough to leave themselves wide open to a takeover out of a sense of fairplay...

They are not the "good guys" of the SL war and they are certainly not powerless victims. They had their chance to save the game and they royally f*cked it up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is my whole point. The ARL were stupid enough to leave themselves wide open to a takeover out of a sense of fairplay...

They are not the "good guys" of the SL war and they are certainly not powerless victims. They had their chance to save the game and they royally f*cked it up.

I'd love to know why they turned down the very reasonable News Ltd offer that I posted for the existing comp to remain and an elite comp set up above it. After all they were already heading down the path of a 14 club SL with a much bigger national presence.
Was it the threat Packer was throwing at them, was it the prospect of sharing profits with News ltd, was it self preservation of some individuals? Id love for someone to ask Arko before he pegs it!

Stallion

First Grade
Cultural and historical ties with the well known and universally popular BRISBANE clubs didnt kill the game there

Actually Super Leagues have been PROVEN to work...

A comp placed above an established league, fewer teams, only the very best players, representing much larger areas. You know what that discribes? STATE OF ORIGIN.

Are you gonna admit that this can actually work or are you actually gonna argue that State Of Origin is secretly unsuccessful and unpopular?

Way wrong in context champ! The Sydney rugby-league had widespread notoriety and Australia wide interest. Respecfully this was not the same for the Brisbane comp. Very different scenarios. Shows like Sevens Big League boosted the profile of Sydney rugby league. This gave these clubs unprecedented notoriety and exposure. They become a part of general public relevance and culture. A big difference to Brisbane. (mind you I tried to follow the BRL when I could but not as accessible as the Big League with respect! )

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
That is a different topic. Is the sport of Rugby League dying in Newcastle?

No? So we can see that fan loyalty actually just shifted to the united Newcastle team.
What you are missing is that Novocastrians absolutely love the Sydney clubs and its rich history along with the many rivalries. Newcastle wanted to be a part of that. Not some mismatch and convoluted club arrangement with no soul or history. These things matter to supporters especially a culturally reliant code such as league. The vulnerability of the code necessitates strong ties to its most popular and proven competition which has grown as
a result of the Sydney clubs not despite them as some seem to suggest! The NRL would be nothing had it not been for the Sydney based notoriety of its clubs. This matters big time. Sevens Big League and such achieved such notoriety. And of course the product was great and unrivalled.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Way wrong in context champ! The Sydney rugby-league had widespread notoriety and Australia wide interest. )

I'm not sure if you've spent much time around Australia but outside of NSW and Qland once beyond the ex pats it really doesn't. Majority of the public in half the country would be hard pushed to name a Sydney RL player or know which suburb the Panthers represented.

King hit

Coach
I'm not sure if you've spent much time around Australia but outside of NSW and Qland once beyond the ex pats it really doesn't. Majority of the public in half the country would be hard pushed to name a Sydney RL player or know which suburb the Panthers represented.

Is that a reason Perth failed