What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Champions’ Sydney Roosters appear on billboards in Super Bowl 53 host city Atlanta

TheFrog

Coach
Melbourne are the current World Champions.
It's called the World Club Challenge. They could have called it Championship if they wanted to, but the trouble is not all teams in the world have the opportunity to win it, that's why it isn't a championship.

taipan

Referee
Um argh ,perhaps it has something to do with Australia Day.
I'd imagine the Yanks saying to themselves WTF is a Rooster doing here.We need a wall, rather than a fowl from Bondi.

DC_fan

Coach
Pretty obvious they are taking the piss out of American sports calling the winners of their comps the world champions.

But why? In the process all they are doing is irritating the people they want to win over to rugby league. This will not just irk NFL and sports fans, it will irk Americans in general. Americans don’t like being being pissed on.

I really don’t see any value in what they are doing with these billboards.

Must be a slow month for the nrl marketing team! Apart from the fact our claim of a world champion is nearly as big a farce as the nrl’s given it is nothing but a pre season friendly, and do we really want to annoy a potential market for the game, it’s a great use of the nrl’s money!
You are the lowest piece of shit on all of LU, so if you're upset maybe the NRL is doing something right

siv

First Grade
First most Americas I met when I was there and I mentioned Sydney first thought is a small town in Ohio between Chicago and Dayton

To them the flat world ends at the American border or coastline and there are 51 countries

If Easts paid for it - then fine they have money. Other than its incorrect and a insult to Wigan and Melbourne

If the NRL paid for it - then I am deadset against wasting money in this manner at the expense of junior RL and it should be deducted from Easts grant and guven to junior RL

I doubt RLIF paid for it

Anyway the yanks its about some junior baseball club in Ohio

People need to do a bit of research, and it was not hard, to find out it is an NRL promotion paid for and done by the NRL. Following is from Fox Sports (and was published on Saturday in the Daily Telegraph -

Super Bowl sledge: NRL promotion pokes fun at American ‘world champions’

095def58d30273fbf79f3edc36b74770

• January 25, 2019 7:27pm
  • Joe McDonough
  • Source: FOX SPORTS

The NRL is currently running a cheeky promotional campaign in Atlanta in th e lead up to Superbowl LIII.

The governing body has taken out three giant billboards in the host-city of the NFL decider for the week, which poke fun at the yanks’ penchant for labelling their premiership-winning sporting teams ‘world champions’.

NRL Head of Commercial Andrew Abdo told The Daily Telegraph he was hopeful the tongue-in-cheek advertising would gain traction in the US.

“No doubt there will be plenty of people in Atlanta scratching their heads and wondering who the Roosters are,” he said.

“Americans always claim their domestic league winners, whether it’s NBA, MLB or NFL are the World Champion’s.

“If they can make this claim, why can’t we?

“If that encourages sports fans to make inquiries about rugby league and look up the Roosters winning the 2018 grand final that can only help promote our game.”

T-Boon

Coach
I am not sure what the NRL wants or expects to get out of the. Not sure how much this is costing the NRL, but for mine it is a complete and utter waste of time and money. Americans will either ignore or just laugh at it. Either way Americans will quickly forget the signs

They will think that is an ad for a new food chain Sydney Rooster. The Outback chain does ok in the states.

T-Boon

Coach
People need to do a bit of research, and it was not hard, to find out it is an NRL promotion paid for and done by the NRL. Following is from Fox Sports (and was published on Saturday in the Daily Telegraph -

It is a lame sledge. The "world" claim is more a MLB thing with the "world series" I have rarely heard the super bowl get pitched in such a way as to insinuate it is a world championship.

insert.pause

First Grade
It is a lame sledge. The "world" claim is more a MLB thing with the "world series" I have rarely heard the super bowl get pitched in such a way as to insinuate it is a world championship.
They are regularly, it goes back to the first few AFL-NFL games which were called the World Championship Game.

T-Boon

Coach
They are regularly, it goes back to the first few AFL-NFL games which were called the World Championship Game.

OK, most people wouldnt know that. I havent heard anybody talking about the upcoming NFL world championship game in fact that phrase would draw a blank because it is universally known as the Super Bowl.
The winner does have a right to call themselves world champions because no team outside the states would beat them and everybody in the world who can play American Football plays in the NFL.
But again it just doesnt get called the world championship or world series or anything like that by anybody.
I mean google NFL world champions and it diverts to the Super bowl champion.

T-Boon

Coach
Ah, no it isn't. Win the NBA Finals, they call the team "world champions". Win the NFL:? They call the team "world champions".

Dude, they get called the Super Bowl champions....'by everybody. I am not saying they dont claim the world champion status but it is massively overstated right here as a thing.

Chook Norris

First Grade
It creates intrigue.

Who is this team, they aren't in the superbowl? Click, click, click, ka-ching,
I think that part we all got. It'll lead to a few clicks (at most) and that's probably it.

Is there a clear next step for the marketing team to actually turn that 5 second interest into something more permanent? Is there a plan to play the roosters in that city?

If it's just one marketing cash splurge it most likely will end up with dollars wasted and no meaningful outcome

Latest posts