What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Champions’ Sydney Roosters appear on billboards in Super Bowl 53 host city Atlanta

Sonny83

Juniors
i think it's quite clever, obviously not going to dent the budget for NRL new season advertisement and will trigger some curiosity from US sports fans.

Incase most yous still living under a rock, there's seems to be many American's reaction videos on Youtube with rugby thanks to the interweb.

T-Boon

Coach
It is clever and maybe it is a sign of intentions that the NRL/clubs are going to promote more.

Maybe put some of those signs up in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney which is another place nobody seems to have heard of the Sydney Roosters. And pay for some Titans signs on the GC. There is a big filthy Suns sign in the Coolangatta airport which is the first thing you see when you step foot up there.

wazdog

Juniors
A total of four tweets have used the hashtag #NewWorldChamps since the advertisement went up. This is barely trending in East Leagues Club.

Well done to the NRL and all involved for growing the game.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It is clever and maybe it is a sign of intentions that the NRL/clubs are going to promote more.

Maybe put some of those signs up in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney which is another place nobody seems to have heard of the Sydney Roosters. And pay for some Titans signs on the GC. There is a big filthy Suns sign in the Coolangatta airport which is the first thing you see when you step foot up there.

I disagree....

If youre gonna pay for the signs, put them up in the OPPOSITIONS territory!!! Put these "Roosters - World Champs" signs in Western Sydney and QLD. Put up "QLD - Origin Legends" across NSW.

Stir up some controversy. People dont just watch to see their side win, they will tune in to see hated sides lose. Its why Origin kills and Allstars struggles; origin has a great rivalry, while the Allstars only has one team worth watching.

I think the Titans are the best example of this. They have tried not to step on toes or be controversial, now after 10 years no one gives a shit. They need to make some enemies and use it to stir up their fans...

T-Boon

Coach
A total of four tweets have used the hashtag #NewWorldChamps since the advertisement went up. This is barely trending in East Leagues Club.

The NRL needs to do one of those Gillette type ads lecturing men to be better and stop having BBQs.

Chook Norris

First Grade

That basically sums up this fail of a billboard

adamkungl

Immortal
I disagree....

If youre gonna pay for the signs, put them up in the OPPOSITIONS territory!!! Put these "Roosters - World Champs" signs in Western Sydney and QLD. Put up "QLD - Origin Legends" across NSW.

People in Western Sydney are already throwing tantrums because of a billboard in Atlanta, if they put it in Merrylands or Blacktown it might actually be a health hazard.

carcharias

Immortal
Boyd cordner on the bill board
Ha
The most boring man in league.

The Meryl Streep of rugby league

Last edited:

Chook Norris

First Grade
It’s not about bloody Americans, it’s targeting us, and the NRL would have received triple the cost of the advertising billboards in free media here in Australia.
That makes no sense.

If it's targeting us or league fans it would have been a lot more effective placing that in Sydney or even in the UK, in Wigan territory where it would have at least made a whole bunch of Wiganers mad before the game.

The amount of publicity it actually generated pales in comparison to what it would have produced in a more relevant area. Four tweets is a testament to that. Imagine how many tweets it would have gotten placed in the UK.

adamkungl

Immortal
That makes no sense.

If it's targeting us or league fans it would have been a lot more effective placing that in Sydney or even in the UK, in Wigan territory where it would have at least made a whole bunch of Wiganers mad before the game.

The amount of publicity it actually generated pales in comparison to what it would have produced in a more relevant area. Four tweets is a testament to that. Imagine how many tweets it would have gotten placed in the UK.

Looks to me like there's a hell of a lot of people talking about this ineffective advertising campaign.

A Roosters billboard in Sydney wouldn't even register a mention.
The same billboard in Wigan would be pure arrogance without even being able to hide behind the American angle for the joke.

Putting it the US has people talking in Sydney and Wigan, it's got people talking about the WCC, it's got Super League fans fired up, and MAYBE it's got a handful of Americans to have a look on Youtube or think about going to a game when they travel to Sydney.

Great marketing imo

Last edited:

Chook Norris

First Grade
Looks to me like there's a hell of a lot of people talking about this ineffective advertising campaign.

Four tweets and a bunch of NRL diehards on a NRL forum who talk about everything and anything NRL.

A Roosters billboard in Sydney wouldn't even register a mention.

I highly doubt that especially when it is an outrageous statement to make in front of your primary league market. It was always going to be controversial and talked about in some way. I just question the location.

Could you imagine the AFL putting up a billboard like that in the US? This forum would be laughing non stop for months.

The same billboard in Wigan would be pure arrogance without even being able to hide behind the American angle for the joke.

Well that arrogance in a billboard in Wigan would generate more interest in the WCC. I bet most Wiganers wouldn't have heard about the billboard now as a result.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
That makes no sense.

Hahaha, you cant judge from the tweets. Forced hashtags never take off...

But this is definitely inspiring some angry fans (just look at this thread) who are saying the want Wigan to win so the Roosters are knocked off their peck. Sounds like a solid marketing job to me.

macnaz

Staff member
The NRL had to search the world to try find people who would actually support the Roosters.. well done , i hope they can scrounge up a couple.