What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

possm

Coach
I think a one year extension to the end of 2020 would be sufficient.

People are starting to cave in, is this the reason for the early press release?

From my point of view, no contract extension at all. Identify the new coach and announce it ASAP. Mary will then need to perform or find himself without a coachng job in the NRL.

Last edited:

Warabrook saint

Juniors
People are stating to cave in, is this the reason for the early press release?

Form me, no contract extension at all. Identify the new coach and announce it ASAP. Mary will then need to perform or find himself without a coachng job in the NRL.
Mary’s incapable of performing.He's just a good bloke mate buddy to the players

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Seems cowboys are talking to Dufty and a few others to replace barba...hope the boy doesn't jump, but with Mary at the helm who could blame him..... . ..

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
I think a one year extension to the end of 2020 would be sufficient.
No chance FF. Others clubs will gazump that..and his manager wont let that happen now. 2ys is fair enough if they want him.
Despite what others say on here he will get a gig at other NRL club if we stuff him around with a contract or under pay him too much. To much underlying talent to tap into in my mind to be let go yet.
Good coaching etc will bring it out in him

The kid is a match winner.

He has apparently bulked up so am hoping his defence improves this season.

If we do lose him, I expect Field will be considered as a replacement.

Old Timer

Coach
Funny how some people are saying Dufty has proved nothing re his ability to handle 1st grade and they would be happy for him to go yet they would be happy with Field replacing him and IMO he has proven even less.
Just goes to show how little we actually know about some players and by the look of it recruitment may know even less.

Carlton

Juniors
Dufty score trys, an won games for the dragons last season to propel the dragons into the semi finals. So he deserves 1st crack at fullback this season.

When will this nonsense about Dufty won us games last year stop. He was in the team when they won, that doesn't mean he won the game for us. In fact there were a couple of games that we lost where he was one of the biggest issues.

At this stage his attack is one dimensional (relies entirely on speed and running around players) his defence was poor, his positioning was poor, his effort was poor and his physicality was poor.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
When will this nonsense about Dufty won us games last year stop. He was in the team when they won, that doesn't mean he won the game for us. In fact there were a couple of games that we lost where he was one of the biggest issues.

At this stage his attack is one dimensional (relies entirely on speed and running around players) his defence was poor, his positioning was poor, his effort was poor and his physicality was poor.
Crap take off the blinkers...... Sure his defence needs improvement but he scored and set up plenty. Obviously your a glass half full kind of guy.... Let's see you out there superstar

Carlton

Juniors
Crap take off the blinkers...... Sure his defence needs improvement but he scored and set up plenty. Obviously your a glass half full kind of guy.... Let's see you out there superstar

The blinkers need to come off the posters that can't see there is more to fullback than just being fast and every so often running around players. He scored some good tries, he blew some tries when he should have passed and he didnt, he didnt just miss a number of tackles, he wasn't even in the same post code as the attacker which was the worry. He stood back and watched tries scored, had trouble bringing the ball back and didnt attack kicks.

Half full, half empty, who cares we had half a fullback. Maybe he can improve but it should not be in first grade.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons keen to re-sign Dufty, despite lack of No.1 assurances
Christian NicolussiFebruary 7, 2019 — 8.32pm

St George Illawarra are determined to re-sign Matt Dufty until the end of 2021, even though the pint-sized fullback is unlikely to retain his No. 1 jersey this season.

Dufty and South Sydney's Alex Johnston were two names quickly linked to Ben Barba's [URL='https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/cowboys-sack-barba-after-alleged-assault-of-partner-20190201-p50v74.html']vacated North Queensland No. 1 jersey[/URL], largely because they were unlikely to start in their preferred positions and both came off contract with the Dragons and South Sydney respectively.

Cowboys officials continue to deal with the devastation caused by the Townsville floods and are in no hurry to search for a fullback replacement.

The Dragons will not let Dufty link with the Cowboys or any rival club this season, and have been in talks about the local junior extending his time in the Red V.

When the club were keen to lure Corey Norman to the club, which meant Gareth Widdop became a genuine fullback option, Dufty was kept in the loop the whole time.

There was good interest from Leeds in the Super League, but the Dragons made it known they wanted to lock up Dufty for the long term.

Dufty is only 23, and the Dragons know he has at least another decade of first grade ahead of him.

Should coach Paul McGregor forge ahead with Widdop at fullback, Dufty will have the chance to learn from the English international.

Zac Lomax, who made his debut in round 10 and played the final three games of last year, also grew up playing fullback, but has one eye on a starting centre spot this season.

Lomax said Dufty had a great season while Widdop had played fullback for England and was the club's skipper.

"Duff is looking fit at the moment, he's put on a bit of size, he's very fast, and he has a lot of skill, a good passing game and [he's a ] confident fella. He won't be taking a backward step, and I'm confident wherever he's asked to play he'll put in a good performance,'' Lomax said.

"Fullback would be my favourite position. But as a young bloke you have to understand the demands of NRL and coming into the game, and the toll it can take on your body and mentally. If I'm to play centre or wing I'm happy wherever.

"I've been training a lot at centre and a lot at wing.

"They are completely different positions these days. The winger can play a role like a front-rower at the back end of your field taking a lot of hard carries.

"At centre you tend to get a lot of early ball and try to beat your opposite centre one on one and try and get quick play-the-balls.

"I’m more confident at centre than wing. I’ve been trying to learn the game as a winger a little bit better than I am.''

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/nrl...-lack-of-no-1-assurances-20190207-p50wdd.html

Drag Queen

Bench
Seems cowboys are talking to Dufty and a few others to replace barba...hope the boy doesn't jump, but with Mary at the helm who could blame him..... . ..
Lomax has stated he wants the No.1 jersey. If Dufty is offered an opportunity elsewhere he should take it OD Xx

Frank Facer

First Grade
if he does, Lomax goes to long term fullback, all wed need to do is sing one or 2 GUN centres, I mean world class
I am still hopeful that Marsters will develop into a quality centre.

At the beginning of last season I said that Lomax was our best centre prospect, best wing prospect and best fullback prospect,

Crush

Coach
Lomax is an exciting propect but the amount of hype about him on this forum is scary.
Best centre, best winger, best fullback...

The kid has played 4 NRL games.
I will wait until I see him play a season of footy before I get my ticket on the Lomax train.

Old Timer

Coach
Lomax is an exciting propect but the amount of hype about him on this forum is scary.
Best centre, best winger, best fullback...

The kid has played 4 NRL games.
I will wait until I see him play a season of footy before I get my ticket on the Lomax train.
I agree & IMO the kid deserves a crack at centre based on those 4 games but he needs to be evaluated on an ongoing basis.
If his form declines he needs a stint back in ISP to help his development.
Time for people to let him develop in the position he has been playing namely centre and that will be a big enough assignment in itself.
So for god's sake people stop mounting the pressure on him because when he fails on a few occasions as he surely will (every young player experiences failures but the really good ones learn from it) many of you will drop him like a hot spud and then move onto the next big thing.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
"All we need" lol
We have needed 2 world class centres for > 6 years and how has that gone for us thus far and what has changed to make you think we can get some for next season?
You need to remember Mc Fookknuckle has got the squad he wants.
Yes we have a future state of origin centre and an international centre... . Cut and paste...... .

possm

Coach
Lomax has stated he wants the No.1 jersey. If Dufty is offered an opportunity elsewhere he should take it OD Xx

Lomax has always wanted the fullback position and was in the running - according to Mary - for the position in 2018. It is now history that Dufty got the job. With Widdop being touted as the proposed fullback for 2019 and Dufty being the logical backup, it will be up to Lomax to do well and show his skills in an outside back position in 2019.

If Mary was clever, he would select Lomax at right centre in 2019 and four forwards on the bench. This idea would cover so many backline position if injury occurs. Having Widdop at fullback, of course he could move to a halves position if necessary and Lomax move to fullback or one of the wing position and one of our 4 backrow forwards move to centre. With Aitken at right centre, there is absolutely no flexibility at all.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Lomax has always wanted the fullback position and was in the running - according to Mary - for the position in 2018. It is now history that Dufty got the job. With Widdop being touted as the proposed fullback for 2019 and Dufty being the logical backup, it will be up to Lomax to do well and show his skills in an outside back position in 2019.

If Mary was clever, he would select Lomax at right centre in 2019 and four forwards on the bench. This idea would cover so many backline position if injury occurs. Having Widdop at fullback, of course he could move to a halves position if necessary and Lomax move to fullback or one of the wing position and one of our 4 backrow forwards move to centre. With Aitken at right centre, there is absolutely no flexibility at all.
Very sensible mate but we're talking about MARY............

Latest posts