What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

TruSaint

Referee
For the FEW, A COUPLE, LESS THAN SEVERAL, MINISCULE posters on this site who damn Dufty and carry around voodoo dolls that arent working anyway.....his few mistakes PALE into insignificance versus errors by Hunt who REGULARLY gives the opposition 7 tackle restarts more than I can bare, or Widdop who kicks the ball into the shins and knees of opposition players......or our centres who have tries put on them that are embarrassing.

Or the errors of McInnes who has forgotten how to mix his game up and run the ball......or Nene McDonald who wouldn’t harm a sloth with his non aggressive / piss weak running style. These players have 3-8 years more footy experience than Duffy ......who has scored almost more tries than all the other players I named combined.

And not to forget memorable moments where we were treated to pure exhilaration.

To those that damn Dufty......get a life....get a brain......wake up......or f##k off
You lot are the ones who thought Quinlan and Dugan were ok.

I get the fact you are a Dufty fan, but wow you come up with some dribble.

Cam Mc and Nene are only 1-2 years older, and cemented their spots in 1st grade over several years. You don't have to like Widdop but he has been arguably one of our most valuable players, has represented his country, won a premiership.

Matt had a "decent" season which showed obvious flaws which he himself has said needs addressing. The club must also think that, this the signing of Norman.

You defence of Dufty is admirable but at least make it factual.

possm

Coach
I’m interested in the Widdop to fullback option - it seems to be hinted that it’s the option Mary will take, but he’s also a mindless moron more interested in self promotion than wholistic success.

So why Widdop to fullback over Norman? Norman is younger, quicker, is just as skillful in attack and more experienced in the position. He is also more suited to playing both sides of the field. Widdop seems a bit better with support play but his defensive strength is more suited to the front line. So why aren’t we advocating Norman to 1?

Norman is our long term five-eighth and Widdop our short term fullback. Norman is a better game manager and can close out a game when required. It makes more sense to me that Norman begin his combination with Hunt in 2019 rather than go to fullback and then begin his halves partnership with Hunt in 2020.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Norman is our long term five-eighth and Widdop our short term fullback. Norman is a better game manager and can close out a game when required. It makes more sense to me that Norman begin his combination with Hunt in 2019 rather than go to fullback and then begin his halves partnership with Hunt in 2020.

tend to agree ... unless there is a plan for a bloke like Field that we dont know about .. otherwise Norman at 6 in 2020 is most likely.

Dufty is no where near a lost cause, he can quite easily take teh 1 back in 2020 if he works hard on overcoming the weaknesses in his game.

BennyV

Referee
tend to agree ... unless there is a plan for a bloke like Field that we dont know about .. otherwise Norman at 6 in 2020 is most likely.

Dufty is no where near a lost cause, he can quite easily take teh 1 back in 2020 if he works hard on overcoming the weaknesses in his game.
Great thought for 2020. But this is 2019 and we should be going hell for leather for a premiership despite the obvious crippling weakness we have in the coaches box. Widdop is a better 5/8 and Norman is a better fit at fullback.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Great thought for 2020. But this is 2019 and we should be going hell for leather for a premiership despite the obvious crippling weakness we have in the coaches box. Widdop is a better 5/8 and Norman is a better fit at fullback.

i think i disagree .. Norman looks really happy on the left the same way Hunt seems happier on the right ... Widdop will pop up on both sides ... Will come down to defence/kickreturns and wingers though.

BennyV

Referee
i think i disagree .. Norman looks really happy on the left the same way Hunt seems happier on the right ... Widdop will pop up on both sides ... Will come down to defence/kickreturns and wingers though.
As does Widdop - all his magic (bar from the occasional support play) has been on the left.
Between the three of them, I’d back Norman to pull off the ‘both sides’ role best. For mine, I’d play him at first receiver (despite the number on his back) and get Widdop/Hunt running a bit wider either side of the ball. This means Norman is also in control of kicking (which he’s better at) and allows him to support ball runners a bit better.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I’m interested in the Widdop to fullback option - it seems to be hinted that it’s the option Mary will take, but he’s also a mindless moron more interested in self promotion than wholistic success.

So why Widdop to fullback over Norman? Norman is younger, quicker, is just as skillful in attack and more experienced in the position. He is also more suited to playing both sides of the field. Widdop seems a bit better with support play but his defensive strength is more suited to the front line. So why aren’t we advocating Norman to 1?
Why would you have Norman at fullback this year when you will have him as your 5/8 in future.the sensible option ,and I say sensible option .is to play widdop at fullback ,hunt and Norman will be the future halves.obviously Mary doesn't always come up with sensible options......

blacksafake

First Grade
I’d say mindset shift is referring to confidence, but he can’t exactly say ‘I’m not confident in catching high balls’.

The thing with catching high balls is that it’s not as simple as putting up bombs and practicing catching them. During the game, fullbacks need to be able to do it consistently under extreme fatigue and extreme pressure. So they need to be training this way. Start putting up spiral after spiral at him at the end of a heavy fitness session with Sims and Friz charging down to belt him.

Practice alone doesn’t make perfect, the practice has to be perfect. I’ve long believed that we have severe issues in our training methodology when it comes to skills and structure, so it’s no surprise that these basic skills aren’t developing. And that includes his positioning, support play, etc.
I agree.
I remember reading an article once about Joey who used to have some of his forwards running at him after a tough training session whilst practicing his kicking game

Carlton

Juniors
I’d say mindset shift is referring to confidence, but he can’t exactly say ‘I’m not confident in catching high balls’.

The thing with catching high balls is that it’s not as simple as putting up bombs and practicing catching them. During the game, fullbacks need to be able to do it consistently under extreme fatigue and extreme pressure. So they need to be training this way. Start putting up spiral after spiral at him at the end of a heavy fitness session with Sims and Friz charging down to belt him.

Practice alone doesn’t make perfect, the practice has to be perfect. I’ve long believed that we have severe issues in our training methodology when it comes to skills and structure, so it’s no surprise that these basic skills aren’t developing. And that includes his positioning, support play, etc.

And sometimes there are skills that players never become competent at even after coaching (uh hum) and practice.

BennyV

Referee
Why would you have Norman at fullback this year when you will have him as your 5/8 in future.the sensible option ,and I say sensible option .is to play widdop at fullback ,hunt and Norman will be the future halves.obviously Mary doesn't always come up with sensible options......
Because that’s 2020. We shouldn’t take a lesser option in 2019 just to prepare for 2020. Widdop is a better 5/8. Norman is more suited to, and has more experience at fullback. If both are here, the ‘now’ needs to take precedence over the future.

watatank

Coach

You say that like it would be difficult for Norman to transition from fullback to five eighth if Widdop ended up leaving.

I don't think it's worth worrying about Widdop leaving. We can deal with that when it comes.

red rocket

Juniors
I must be going mad if he is better than gaz how come parra got the spoon

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I must be going mad if he is better than gaz how come parra got the spoon
their forward pack:
Marshmallows_in_soft_yellow_and_blue_light.jpg

DragonJ

Juniors
For the FEW, A COUPLE, LESS THAN SEVERAL, MINISCULE posters on this site who damn Dufty and carry around voodoo dolls that arent working anyway.....his few mistakes PALE into insignificance versus errors by Hunt who REGULARLY gives the opposition 7 tackle restarts more than I can bare, or Widdop who kicks the ball into the shins and knees of opposition players......or our centres who have tries put on them that are embarrassing.

Or the errors of McInnes who has forgotten how to mix his game up and run the ball......or Nene McDonald who wouldn’t harm a sloth with his non aggressive / piss weak running style. These players have 3-8 years more footy experience than Dufty ......who has scored almost more tries than all the other players I named combined.

And not to forget memorable moments where we were treated to pure exhilaration.

To those that damn Dufty......get a life....get a brain......wake up......or f##k off
You lot are the ones who thought Quinlan and Dugan were ok.
The entire backline was poor for a good part of the season. My problem is the way Dufty was physically dominated. Training can't fix that. I guess weight training could but he would have to bulk up so much that he would lose speed and evasiveness.

McInnes did ok. He has a poor running game but the defensive work he does frees up others to have more energy to run. I'd still like Robson to get a chance early in the season.

possm

Coach

possm

Coach
I'd go as far as saying that if Dufty does not overcome his shortfalls in 2019 and if Widdop does move to the ESL at season's end and if V Holmes fails in his attempt to make it in the NFL, SGI would likely let Dufty go and sign Holmes on Widdop's salary allocation.

Just imagine a spine:
1. Holmes
6. Norman
7. Hunt
9. McInnes/Robson

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
Yeah Matt dufty will turn into a true champion with some defence and positioning. I’d get him into jiu jitsu stuff to get him lower to the ground on the rag doll imminence and close to the sideline. You can hug that grass and if you are getting pulled around it should be a sling so penalty. He should make it as we saw glimpses of this yeAr. The little fast blokes can change games, always have, always will. Alfie, Thurston, Bowen, lamb, slater, Johns...

DragonJ

Juniors
I'd go as far as saying that if Dufty does not overcome his shortfalls in 2019 and if Widdop does move to the ESL at season's end and if V Holmes fails in his attempt to make it in the NFL, SGI would likely let Dufty go and sign Holmes on Widdop's salary allocation.

Just imagine a spine:
1. Holmes
6. Norman
7. Hunt
9. McInnes/Robson
McInnes has done well in his time with us but if Robson is half as good as a lot on this forum and people like Brad Fittler think he is, McInnes should be traded this season. Maybe even traded to the Broncos for one of their fast outside backs. Their hooker makes McInnes look like Usain Bolt.
1. Holmes
6. Norman
7. Hunt
9. Robson
spine is simply too good for one team to manage within the salary cap. Need lots of TPAs and some other "creative" solutions involving brown paper bags.

Latest posts