What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Conference competition, winner of each plays off in RLSuper bowl

TheFrog

Coach
We should have more teams, which means more fans and games to watch, I’d like to see this format

Conference One
Newcastle
Lake Macquarie
Central Coast
North Sydney
Manly
Cronulla
St George
Souths
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Nth Qld
West Brisbane
Port Moresby

Conference Two
Sydney
Canterbury
Parramatta
Penrith
Balmain
West’s
Illawarra
Auckland
Wellington
Melbourne
Perth
Adelaide
Canberra

Each top 8 go into elimination finals producing a top 4 for each conference, then
semi finals, then a final for Conference winners.
Each conference winner then plays off in an NRL Super Bowl, held in the capital city’s of either Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth or Adelaide, one week after the AFL decider.
Balmain? Illawarra? North Sydney? Lake Macquarie? Central Coast? Adelaide? Surprised Newtown and Glebe weren't included.

T-Boon

Coach
One of the beauties of 2 conferences (Queensland and NSW) each with some outsiders is that it would reinvigorate state of origin.
SoO use to be great when the protagonists came from different competitions and players were to some extent unknown to the fans and each other. Origin has lost something since the NRL is the only competition.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Let’s get rid of SOO and have Qld vs NSW competition matches
I bet we could beat the 4,500 who turned up at Leichhardt in 1979

Walter sobchak

First Grade
One of the beauties of 2 conferences (Queensland and NSW) each with some outsiders is that it would reinvigorate state of origin.
SoO use to be great when the protagonists came from different competitions and players were to some extent unknown to the fans and each other. Origin has lost something since the NRL is the only competition.
SOO have become a behemoth which is damaging international RL.

tri_colours

Juniors
We should have more teams, which means more fans and games to watch, I’d like to see this format

Conference One
Newcastle
Lake Macquarie
Central Coast
North Sydney
Manly
Cronulla
St George
Souths
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Nth Qld
West Brisbane
Port Moresby

Conference Two
Sydney
Canterbury
Parramatta
Penrith
Balmain
West’s
Illawarra
Auckland
Wellington
Melbourne
Perth
Adelaide
Canberra

Each top 8 go into elimination finals producing a top 4 for each conference, then
semi finals, then a final for Conference winners.
Each conference winner then plays off in an NRL Super Bowl, held in the capital city’s of either Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth or Adelaide, one week after the AFL decider.

I like this idea;

The last thing we need to do is alienate more rugby fans and this wouldn't

Tv money seems to the way to go these days. So I would have two equal competitions . One of the Brisbane sides and several strong Sydney sides clubs in each completion , because these are the games that rate the best.

I think I would leave St George-Illawarra and West Tigers the way they are.

We don't want to leave ourselves to thin , so maybe two comps of 10 to start of with.

Everybody plays everybody twice. With maybe some rep games between the two competitions. And like you said the best sides could meet up in the finals

gpfloor

Juniors
They need to do something.. Make the competition more consistent.
Stop magically making up the draw..

That is one of my bug-bears. Draws should be exactly that and the idea of having to play some teams once and others twice annoys the hell out of me,

Play each other once or twice, and since reducing the number of teams is unlikely, a one or two tier comp could be accommodated with expansion,

Since changes are likely for 2022, I am part of group advocating for the resurrection of Western Suburbs as the Macarthur Magpies for that year. The Tiger half of the Joint Venture can fight for its own survival. Or not.

We are having a family day on Feb 16 at Campbelltown City Bowling club commencing at 11am.

More info here: https://www.macarthuradvertiser.com...asEImsQ0_LvZ7O0DEV6YSxMSLo-VOLspgnb3fIUTMNTlg

The Great Dane

First Grade
I don't really have an opinion on the whole Tigers and/or Magpies thing, but a team playing out of Campbelltown full time (or at least the majority of the time) wouldn't be a bad thing.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
That is one of my bug-bears. Draws should be exactly that and the idea of having to play some teams once and others twice annoys the hell out of me,

Play each other once or twice, and since reducing the number of teams is unlikely, a one or two tier comp could be accommodated with expansion,

Since changes are likely for 2022, I am part of group advocating for the resurrection of Western Suburbs as the Macarthur Magpies for that year. The Tiger half of the Joint Venture can fight for its own survival. Or not.

We are having a family day on Feb 16 at Campbelltown City Bowling club commencing at 11am.

More info here: https://www.macarthuradvertiser.com...asEImsQ0_LvZ7O0DEV6YSxMSLo-VOLspgnb3fIUTMNTlg

I think the only way to justify splitting the WTs is to move them both out of Sydney...

It hits a nice balance; traditionalists get 2 old brands back while we clear out Sydney and expanding to new areas.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I don't really have an opinion on the whole Tigers and/or Magpies thing, but a team playing out of Campbelltown full time (or at least the majority of the time) wouldn't be a bad thing.

Even if the SW gets a good stadium, Im not convinced Cbtwn has the transport infrastructure to handle decent crowds...

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think the only way to justify splitting the WTs is to move them both out of Sydney...

It hits a nice balance; traditionalists get 2 old brands back while we clear out Sydney and expanding to new areas.

Do we really want Balmain to be responsible of an expansion project.

It's questionable whether or not they'd be able to support a team at all but they definitely wouldn't be able to handle the extra costs involved with starting up a new club in an expansion market...

I look at it this way, the chances of the NRL using this situation as a opportunity to rationalise is slim to none, and realistically it's very unlikely that Balmain could support a team, so really all that is hypothetically being talked about is trading the Wests Tigers for the Magpies playing full time out of Campbelltown, and at the end of the day is the NRL isn't really any worse off trading the Wests Tigers for the Magpies.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Do we really want Balmain to be responsible of an expansion project.

It's questionable whether or not they'd be able to support a team at all but they definitely wouldn't be able to handle the extra costs involved with starting up a new club in an expansion market...

I look at it this way, the chances of the NRL using this situation as a opportunity to rationalise is slim to none, and realistically it's very unlikely that Balmain could support a team, so really all that is hypothetically being talked about is trading the Wests Tigers for the Magpies playing full time out of Campbelltown, and at the end of the day is the NRL isn't really any worse off trading the Wests Tigers for the Magpies.

Of course Balmain shouldnt have anything to do with it, im just talking about the branding...

Give the licence to a local Perth/Adelaide/nz group with the condition that they cannot change the name/logo without ARLC permission and they cannot take more than 10% of game out of their home state (so no moving back to Sydney)

siv

First Grade
Well News Ltd making noise in Brisbane once again

A simple QRL v NSWRL super bowl would solve a lot of problems

The Great Dane

First Grade
Of course Balmain shouldnt have anything to do with it, im just talking about the branding...

Give the licence to a local Perth/Adelaide/nz group with the condition that they cannot change the name/logo without ARLC permission and they cannot take more than 10% of game out of their home state (so no moving back to Sydney)

At that point why bother, just give the license to a new locally owned and operated franchise and let them create their own brand and identity. Saddling them with a dead Sydney clubs brand would be pointless and in most cases counterproductive, I doubt there're to many people in Perth/wherever that would be willing to be saddled with a Sydney clubs legacy over creating their own identity.

siv

First Grade
It already exists, it's played before the NRL grand final.

Not before

AS the Grand Final

Let the Cowboys Broncos and Titans merge with Qld Cup and let that conference be run by QRL. Maybe even Melbourne

While NSWRL can operate as is with its NRL clubs and maybe re add Norths and Newtown

The Great Dane

First Grade
Not before

AS the Grand Final

Let the Cowboys Broncos and Titans merge with Qld Cup and let that conference be run by QRL. Maybe even Melbourne

While NSWRL can operate as is with its NRL clubs and maybe re add Norths and Newtown

That's a really bad idea for so many reasons... For a start three quarters of the NSW Cup and Qld Cup teams would go broke in under a year if they had to try to compete with the NRL clubs at NRL standard, just like with Super Rugby having multiple governing bodies all vying for power and control over one another would be a disaster as well, etc, etc.

Personally I think that it's currently unnecessary and wouldn't solve any of the NRL's real problems, but splitting the NRL into conferences has merit, maybe even splitting into conferences based loosely on states would be a good idea, but merging the NRL Telstra Premiership with the NSW and Qld Cup's would be a total clusterf**k.

siv

First Grade
That's a really bad idea for so many reasons... For a start three quarters of the NSW Cup and Qld Cup teams would go broke in under a year if they had to try to compete with the NRL clubs at NRL standard, just like with Super Rugby having multiple governing bodies all vying for power and control over one another would be a disaster as well, etc, etc.

Personally I think that it's currently unnecessary and wouldn't solve any of the NRL's real problems, but splitting the NRL into conferences has merit, maybe even splitting into conferences based loosely on states would be a good idea, but merging the NRL Telstra Premiership with the NSW and Qld Cup's would be a total clusterf**k.

In NSW all NRL clubs run or have feeder arrangement directly with a NSW Cup team. So it just becomes FG - RG again

But clubs like Norths and Newtown would get the same grants as everyone else

Qld want equal footing as NSW so they will need to go through some growing pains. So rather than inventing clubs like Broncos Titans Crushers let the existing QLD Cup brands return to the top Tier. Either bring back Wests or let the Broncos remain as Wests replacement. While Titans can align with Burleigh and Cowboys with Blackhawks

NRL grants would go 50-50 to NSWRL and QRL who then splits them back to their state clubs

Perth Red

Post Whore
In NSW all NRL clubs run or have feeder arrangement directly with a NSW Cup team. So it just becomes FG - RG again

But clubs like Norths and Newtown would get the same grants as everyone else

Qld want equal footing as NSW so they will need to go through some growing pains. So rather than inventing clubs like Broncos Titans Crushers let the existing QLD Cup brands return to the top Tier. Either bring back Wests or let the Broncos remain as Wests replacement. While Titans can align with Burleigh and Cowboys with Blackhawks

NRL grants would go 50-50 to NSWRL and QRL who then splits them back to their state clubs

You want to take 16 nrl clubs, turn them into 32 and give half the current nrl $13million grant? Do you want to half the salary cap to $5million as well? I can see some very big holes in this idea lol.