What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I wouldn't object if it got downsized to 30k, but if that happens they need to do some basic remediation with ANZ to make it rectangular.

I wouldn't object if it got downsized to 30k, but if that happens they need to do some basic remediation with ANZ to make it rectangular.

They’d also need to look at the membership structure, either abolish it or change the by-laws to make it so they have to book seats.

35k might work with the current membership base, but you’d also want to change the by laws.

beave

Coach
349ee304-aabf-4ddf-82e8-eeb6df1ac0c2-jpeg.27476

from Amitropo in the eels sub folder.

adamkungl

Immortal
the 30k brigade are as usual ignoring finals and the 2 other rectangular sports that get played there and would undoubtedly prefer a larger capacity.

the 30k brigade are as usual ignoring finals and the 2 other rectangular sports that get played there and would undoubtedly prefer a larger capacity.

The other teams don’t get anywhere near 30k to a match. Both averaged less than 20k last season.

Plus the big finals can just be played at ANZ.

Yep, A-League derbies almost invariably sold out - sometimes twice a season.

But the Wanderers didn’t need more than 30k, and they host that derby too.

It’s better to create a better atmosphere for the normal games than plan for a few big games.

Sydney FC can grow their aggregate crowd more by having a smaller venue. So 10k people might miss out for the derby, but overall more people will attend for the entire season because of the greater atmosphere.

There’s premier league clubs that are vastly more popular than anything in Australia that play out of 30k seat venues.

Timmah

Staff member

It’s better to create a better atmosphere for the normal games than plan for a few big games.

Sydney FC can grow their aggregate crowd more by having a smaller venue. So 10k people might miss out for the derby, but overall more people will attend for the entire season because of the greater atmosphere.

There’s premier league clubs that are vastly more popular than anything in Australia that play out of 30k seat venues.
If nuSFS ends up being 30-35k, you could almost pitch an argument that it hosts one derby, Bankwest the other, and hopefully that creates enough demand for the third one to be ANZ and attract 60-70k.

Just looked at the numbers, Sydney FC have never averaged more than 20k for a season. The only argument is the derby.

$300m extra seems a lot to spend for the Aleague derby, ANZAC day & one wallabies test.

adamkungl

Immortal

If the 20k lower bowl is anywhere close to full the atmosphere will be great at the SFS, as it always has been. Chopping 15k off the big games for a vague hope that a fractionally better atmosphere will grow crowds is not good business for any of the tenants.

Suitman

Post Whore

If Bankwest was 35 - 40000 and both teams were travelling well, they'd sell that out easily as well.

But I see your point and agree. The rest of the season, the stadium would only be at half capacity or less, except maybe against Victory.

I think Bankwest is probably fine at 30000. It will create that demand that you say. I would have preferred 35000 however. When the Eels come good again (and they will), I think there will still be an argument to take some of their bigger games to ANZ. However, at 35000, I think that is just about the threshold when ANZ would not be considered.

Timmah

Staff member
If Bankwest was 35 - 40000 and both teams were travelling well, they'd sell that out easily as well.

But I see your point and agree. The rest of the season, the stadium would only be at half capacity or less, except maybe against Victory.

I think Bankwest is probably fine at 30000. It will create that demand that you say. I would have preferred 35000 however. When the Eels come good again (and they will), I think there will still be an argument to take some of their bigger games to ANZ. However, at 35000, I think that is just about the threshold when ANZ would not be considered.
If Easter Monday can rise to be a sell-out annually for say 3-4 years, the argument would be there, but otherwise I think Parramatta should host at least 11 Eels games a year (assuming they keep taking one elsewhere i.e. Darwin)

TheFrog

Coach
Well it’s important to note 2 things.

1. The stadium was originally built on a shoestring budget.

2. The govt of the day didn’t actually pay for it.

These two factors together are a major reason it only lasted 30 years.
I was reading the other day the new one one will only last 30 years as well.

Oh and who did pay for it? It was a bicentennial project, so the Government of the day.

Suitman

Post Whore
If Easter Monday can rise to be a sell-out annually for say 3-4 years, the argument would be there, but otherwise I think Parramatta should host at least 11 Eels games a year (assuming they keep taking one elsewhere i.e. Darwin)

Yep, agree. The demand would have to be there consistently.
In saying that, you don't see clubs like Chelsea or Arsenal taking big games to Wembley.
We need to build this type of sell out/demand mentality in this country as well.
It will encourage more people to become members to guarantee a seat at the big games.
If and only if, (for example) Bankwest becomes too small for the amount of demand from Eels fans, then maybe, consider a shift of some bigger games.
To be honest, I still wouldn't want to see that happen until ANZ has been reconfigured to a rectangular stadium.