What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jdb case

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Damo

Juniors
Where i think this went off the rails was when the allegations against him were read out in court and became public information via the media. I was shocked by them but feel that not only in his case but in all cases this should not be made public as it goes right to the basis of innocent until proven guilty. Basically mud has been thrown and some of it will always stick.
Justice should not only be done - it should be seen to be done. That’s why we have open courts in democracies. Secret courts are almost always a bad thing overall.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
I’ve asked before and I’ll ask here again - can you give a single example where spmoeone, from any industry, was stood down on full pay while serious criminal charges are tried, and they successfully sued their employer? Standing people down on pay in these situations is quite common, surely someone had had a go at suing?
i don't go looking to find if anyone in any industry has sued or not, but you seem to not understand or didnt read my post, we are not talking about FULL PAY, he is going to miss out on potentially other income, he is a current SOO player and he would more than likely be chosen again, even if not performing at 100%, he will no doubt have clauses in hes current contract re Rep bonuse's, by possibly missing up to 18+months, he's market value could possibly suffer, if you think he will not sue especially if he is found not guilty your dreaming...

The Damo

Juniors
i don't go looking to find if anyone in any industry has sued or not, but you seem to not understand or didnt read my post, we are not talking about FULL PAY, he is going to miss out on potentially other income, he is a current SOO player and he would more than likely be chosen again, even if not performing at 100%, he will no doubt have clauses in hes current contract re Rep bonuse's, by possibly missing up to 18+months, he's market value could possibly suffer, if you think he will not sue especially if he is found not guilty your dreaming...
I Ask for an example to make the point that the grounds people claim he would have are actually really shaky. He’d have to likely prove a combination of;
Denied due process - but he’s had meetings and been represented capably in them
NRL acted beyond bounds of authority - they have the power to do this, and it states it explicitly in player contracts.
So both of those are gonna be hard.
Then he’s gotta make a case on the balance of probabilities that he’s lost x amount of dollars. Given the injury rate in first grad footy, how few forwards play a full season, claiming he’d still be picked for rep duties while on trial for aggravated sexual assault - all seems like a very steep mountain to climb to me. He can threaten, but I reckon the NRL would be rightly confident, especially given the lack of precedent.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
I Ask for an example to make the point that the grounds people claim he would have are actually really shaky. He’d have to likely prove a combination of;
NRL acted beyond bounds of authority - they have the power to do this, and it states it explicitly in player contracts.
Then he’s gotta make a case on the balance of probabilities that he’s lost x amount of dollars. Given the injury rate in first grad footy, how few forwards play a full season, claiming he’d still be picked for rep duties while on trial for aggravated sexual assault - all seems like a very steep mountain to climb to me. He can threaten, but I reckon the NRL would be rightly confident, especially given the lack of precedent.
If the NRL have the power, Why havent they already stood him down, Why are they asking him to stand himself down, Why are they having a meeting tomorrow to come up with new rules to stand him down...."It’s innocent unless you are proven guilty".....time will tell

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons player Jack de Belin refuses to stand down ahead of ARLC meeting
  • Dragons Den
    r1305_306_3123_1440_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

The NRL will have to stand Jack de Belin down after the St George Illawarra star refused to take the action himself.

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg met with de Belin on Wednesday, hoping to convince the Dragons forward to take the matter out of his hands.

De Belin has been charged with aggravated sexual assault and his immediate playing future will be determined at an ARLC board meeting on Thursday.

Read more: Details of Dragons player Jack De Belin's rape allegation revealed

De Belin, who has pleaded not guilty to the charge, told Greenberg in no uncertain terms he won’t be standing down.

The incumbent Blues lock has been advised that sitting himself out while his court case is in train could be construed as an assumption of guilt and could prejudice the outcome.

r0_0_2921_1649_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

By making the NRL stand him down - rather than doing it himself - de Belin also retains his right to sue the governing body if he is eventually acquitted.

The Dragons have also refused to ban de Belin and are supporting his decision.

That puts the onus back onto the NRL to make a call and it’s expected they will stand him down on Thursday.

Under the current protocols, players are allowed to continue their careers until their court cases have been finalised.

However, Rugby League Central want to stand down players charged with serious offences and will make an ultimate determination on how they proceed on Thursday.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-to-stand-down-ahead-of-arlc-meeting/?cs=3713

WoyD4LWoy

Juniors
When JDB comes off contract will the NRL pay his wages because this case could run for a couple of years? If NRL doesn't pay him his market value when he comes off contract and later found to be not guilty he has grounds to sue the NRL for loss of income and damages to his reputation

The Damo

Juniors
T
When JDB comes off contract will the NRL pay his wages because this case could run for a couple of years? If NRL doesn't pay him his market value when he comes off contract and later found to be not guilty he has grounds to sue the NRL for loss of income and damages to his reputation
that won’t be an issue. The initial trial will very likely be completed within 6 months. The only way it all takes two years is if he’s convicted, goes to gaol, appeals and loses, then appeals to Supreme Court. The idea the initial trial won’t be completed for 2 years is ludicrous.

possm

Coach
As we should

Only Saints can stand him down

If the ARLC and the NRL want to change the rules and require players to be stood down if charged with an offence, they need to take full responsibility for making such a decision. This would include issuing the order to stand down and all financial implications associated with such a decision.

It seems that under the current policy it is up the player to voluntarily stand down or for the player's Club to suspend him.

In my opinion, if the ARLC and NRL want this new policy to be implemented they must first have a relevant clause included in player contracts. Only then after the player has signed and agreed to such a clause, will the game be able to move on to transferring responsibility to the ARLC and/or the NRL.

To deal with the current circumstance JDB is embroiled in the ARLC must appease JDB in a way that does not compromise his trial in any way. My suggestion is that:

1. The ARLC pay out in full JDB's contract plus an agreed sum as compensation for missing representative opportunities.
  2. The ARLC provides SGI a salary cap credit plus a an agreed sum of compensation for any financial losses SGI may claim.
  3. The suspension or stand down of JDB makes it absolutely clear that this action is not an admission of guilt in any way but rather an attempt to mitigate damage to player health.

possm

Coach
I would think JDB has already done a great job of damaging his own reputation.

And for those talking about Origin, very much doubt that Freddie picks him this year whether he's playing well or not.

Did not Freddie already announce to the media that JDB would be considered for SOO selection?

possm

Coach
I would think JDB has already done a great job of damaging his own reputation.

And for those talking about Origin, very much doubt that Freddie picks him this year whether he's playing well or not.

As with other players who have been cleared after being charged, JDB if cleared by the court would carry on as normal.

The complain and charge have been responsible for JDB's problems mainly because without a complaint or charge, there would be no court action. Now if found guilty he will pay much, not just by way of damage to his reputation however if cleared, I believe JDB could continue on in the NRL.

WoyD4LWoy

Juniors
I stand by JDB unless p
T

that won’t be an issue. The initial trial will very likely be completed within 6 months. The only way it all takes two years is if he’s convicted, goes to gaol, appeals and loses, then appeals to Supreme Court. The idea the initial trial won’t be completed for 2 years is ludicrous.
Many cases go longer than 6 months! Ludicrous to think they don't

SaintPauli

Juniors
Remember all its
Innocent "unless" proven guilty!
NOT
Innocent "until" proven guilty

JDB needs saints environment and his teammates until his fate is determined.

NRL stop being influenced by alterior motive
NRL Ceos and fans.

The Damo

Juniors
I stand by JDB unless p

Many cases go longer than 6 months! Ludicrous to think they don't
No they don’t. Only if you count appeals etc. I’m talking about the initial trial only. The trial itself will probably go less than two weeks. At the hearing in April they will hopefully set a date for the trial and it will be within months, it won’t be next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts