What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jdb case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crush

Coach
The rules will be changed next week now that Mal and Nick Politis have weighed in.
JDB will be stood down by the NRL and, given the complexity of the case, we won't likely see Jack play this year and perhaps next year if the case drags on.
I think its for the best though tbh.
Let Jack try to prove his innocence and let the team and the fans get on with the footy.
Unfortunate for Jack if he is innocent *edit*

Last edited by a moderator:

RufusRex

Post Whore
The rules will be changed next week now that Mal and Nick Politis have weighed in.
JDB will be stood down by the NRL and, given the complexity of the case, we won't likely see Jack play this year and perhaps next year if the case drags on.
I think its for the best though tbh.
Let Jack try to prove his innocence and let the team and the fans get on with the footy.
Unfortunate for Jack if he is innocent *edit*

Tony Abbott has a phrase for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Damo

Juniors

The Damo

Juniors
So we go to court (first stage) and an unbiased magistrate was happy to alter bail conditions so as to let him play. So with all info, evidence and initial testomonies before the magistrate he or she was happy to do that. Why?.
But yet we all want football organisations to override this to suit the media and part of the public because the perception is guilt and an image problem...Rubbish.

Mal's comments...We all still come back to the same crux and problem of the issue. Inglis and Papali were already guilty of charges before being stood down. JDB is not yet.
What stand him down for a couple of years if the verdict takes that long. Boy if he is innocent..look out for the counter action.

The NRL introduced a policy 10 years ago of a wait and see guilty charge before we act, so why has not someone come out in the media and dispelled this in the past 10 years.
Now the NRL have put themselves between a rock and a hard place with their policy of wait & see approach. If they turn around now and stand JDB down, they would have to do the same to Dylan Walker and others pending court appearances and it would look so much like another knee jerk reactive decision to public outcry, if they were going to do this, it should of been done by the NRL on the 9th December and their Brett stewart fallout policy torn up some time ago.

I believe the NRL will not stand him down because what information has changed since the initial charges and reasons except people and the media voicing their opinion. If they do, just shows what a week kneed reactive mob they are and cant make hard decisions on their own.

I would like to stand him down now just for 1 reason only..his own well being, not for anyone else...as I said before..out of sight out of mind until judgement day, because the peanut gallery wont let it go now unfortunately.

How does someone get a fair trial with all this played out in the media...and I mean for both sides of the fence.

And no he has not brought the game and the NRL into disrepute. He has done nothing wrong officially yet except go out and the rest is ATM... he said..she said....and of course police have enough to charge him on her word alone and after interviewing the boys...so they should.
But what would we be saying if down the track if he is proved innocent and what went on was different to how it is being reported!.

Answer..just stop all rugby league players or high profile sports having contact with alcohol and the public so nothing can go wrong...let alone try and have a mutual relationship with a partner.
Lock em in a building only to be let out upon supervision for work duties until their career is over.
That is what I am hearing from media and high profile people outcrying and people on here..cause that is the sanitised way of life its heading for.
Hey there pants on fire. Good to see you posting without altering people’s quotes - you should make a habit of it.
How many NRL players you think go drinking and have consensual sex every week without getting charged with aggravated sexual assault in company?as far as I can tell it’s just one in the last couple decades. Doesn’t actually seem like that big a risk to me, and seems like as an exceptional circumstance an exceptional response is warranted.
And man if you actually think people saying an elite sportsman should be temporarily stood down while facing serious criminal charges is equivalent asking for a sanitised way of life then that’s got more to do with your internal issues than what’s being said.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Talking as a moderator of this forum...

I have to say that some of you are turning it into a difficult job. I fully understand the emotion surrounding this case but there are limits to this.

I ask that any presumptions surrounding this case are not posted. This includes your presumptions about what happened 'in the room'.

To date we have not heard the version of events from the accused, so we cannot play guesswork on this. It's really that simple.

THE FACTS:
All we know is that charges have been laid and JDB has pleaded not guilty.
The case has been adjourned to April.
The Magistrate agreed to relax his bail conditions, therefore allowing to him to play.
That's all we know.

What happens after with the Club, League and media is out the control of most of us.

We can debate a number of issues but the moment someone starts making presumptions, I will delete or edit that post. This is to protect you as well as this site.

With most deletions or edits, a notification will be sent. If you persist, you may get fair warning depending how far you've gone. If you persist further, I will suspend your account for a short period to give you time to chill out..

On a final note, the mods are all volunteers here so please keep that in mind. If you were late for work today, it must be because you're a forum mod.

On a final final note, if anyone wants to talk to me further about this, my PM box is always open. Plus you can front me at the Taj before or after a Kogarah game. I'm pretty easy to find, just look for the bloke buying the drinks.

slippery5

Juniors
Heard them talking today about Shaun Kenny Dowall's messy break up with girlfriend accusing him of physical assault until the judge ruled her as an unreliable witness changing her story.
Just another example why you have to let him have his day in court, before he is hung out to dry, otherwise we should go back to stoning them in a hole without a case of appeal.

Drag Queen

Bench
Talking as a moderator of this forum...

I have to say that some of you are turning it into a difficult job. I fully understand the emotion surrounding this case but there are limits to this.

I ask that any presumptions surrounding this case are not posted. This includes your presumptions about what happened 'in the room'.

To date we have not heard the version of events from the accused, so we cannot play guesswork on this. It's really that simple.

THE FACTS:
All we know is that charges have been laid and JDB has pleaded not guilty.
The case has been adjourned to April.
The Magistrate agreed to relax his bail conditions, therefore allowing to him to play.
That's all we know.

What happens after with the Club, League and media is out the control of most of us.

We can debate a number of issues but the moment someone starts making presumptions, I will delete or edit that post. This is to protect you as well as this site.

With most deletions or edits, a notification will be sent. If you persist, you may get fair warning depending how far you've gone. If you persist further, I will suspend your account for short period to give you time to chill out..

On a final note, the mods are all volunteers here so please keep that in mind. If you were late for work today, it must be because you're a forum mod.

On a final final note, if anyone wants to talk to me further about this, my PM box is always open. Plus you can front me at the Taj before or after a Kogarah game. I'm pretty easy to find, just look for the bloke buying the drinks.
Cheers Willow. I would like to thank you and the other mods for giving us a 24 hour reprieve from the latest poster on this forum and this thread. Any chance you could extend it to 48hrs. TIA ;)

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
With the NRL possibly standing down JDB by bringing in new rules to punish "past" indiscretions and not having a "grandfather clause" i can see legal action down the track.

Todd Greenberg set to make huge call on future of Dragon Jack de Belin

David Riccio, The Daily Telegraph
February 22, 2019 7:03pm

Subscriber only

Todd Greenberg has broken his silence on the pressure to make the biggest decision of his career, which will be defined by a game-changing call by the NRL boss to stand down Jack de Belin next week.

Due to the torrent of negativity surrounding the code and it’s damaged brand over the issue, The Saturday Telegraph expects de Belin’s immediate playing future will be formally crushed following an ARL Commission meeting on Thursday.

However, Greenberg is refusing to be rushed or pressured into a decision before the meeting.

The NRL boss has spent the past 10-days besieged by club CEO’s, chairs, fans, sponsors and game leaders, to fast-track a clear call on why the St George-Illawarra star should or shouldn’t be stood down, as he defends a rape charge.

715232804788a6c1a57105166a877c11

St. George Illawarra Dragons is likely to be stood down from playing by the NRL due to the serious nature of the charge. (AAP Image/Dean Lewins)
MORE NRL NEWS

Knights fuel fire over criminal behaviour

Fans plea: Stop acting like tossers

Acutely aware of the magnitude of the decision, Greenberg has instead chosen to carefully consider the many factors and parties involved, while at the same time, the ARL Commission navigate through the legal minefield involved with overhauling the code’s player behaviour code of conduct policy.

“When you are making these sort of decisions, you are talking about people’s livelihoods, their families. I don’t go off on a whim,’’ Greenberg told The Telegraph.

682caaaa7fa82363f18620ed72ad6912

Todd Greenberg said he would not be rushed on the Jack de Belin decision.
“I know people will say that it takes so long (for the NRL to deliver outcome).

“But I would rather be criticised for being a little more thorough.

“It is a massive decision to conclude policy decisions and finalise sanctions on individuals and clubs.

“These all have an impact on people’s lives.

“I do take that responsibility very seriously and you can tell in my voice talking to you, that I’m passionate about it.

b61f444394b159dfca9d783a128cc1c1

It is highly likely that Jack de Belin will be stood down from playing for the Dragons. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)
“A big part of my job is to do it properly and professionally.’’

Greenberg added that he would ultimately settle on a decision which may not prove the most popular — but the right one for the code.

“When the Integrity Unit brief me on any evidence, I read every page, every line. Sometimes that can equate to large volumes of material,’’ Greenberg said.

“I make sure I know what I am talking about because they are big decisions on people and I won’t do it lightly.

“You want to make sure you get it right.

v2

“When you do these sort of things it has an impact.

“But I have to uphold the rules. That is a big part of the CEO’s responsibility and this is not a popularity contest. The game is bigger than any individual.

“So if I do it, I want to make sure I am getting it right.

“I have to balance the individual against 16 clubs, a $500 million industry, millions of passionate fans, hundreds of thousands of junior participants and also community expectations.

“I have to figure out the balance about which way you pull the pendulum. It is not simple.’’

possm

Coach
With the NRL possibly standing down JDB by bringing in new rules to punish "past" indiscretions and not having a "grandfather clause" i can see legal action down the track.

Todd Greenberg set to make huge call on future of Dragon Jack de Belin

David Riccio, The Daily Telegraph
February 22, 2019 7:03pm

Subscriber only

Todd Greenberg has broken his silence on the pressure to make the biggest decision of his career, which will be defined by a game-changing call by the NRL boss to stand down Jack de Belin next week.

Due to the torrent of negativity surrounding the code and it’s damaged brand over the issue, The Saturday Telegraph expects de Belin’s immediate playing future will be formally crushed following an ARL Commission meeting on Thursday.

However, Greenberg is refusing to be rushed or pressured into a decision before the meeting.

The NRL boss has spent the past 10-days besieged by club CEO’s, chairs, fans, sponsors and game leaders, to fast-track a clear call on why the St George-Illawarra star should or shouldn’t be stood down, as he defends a rape charge.

715232804788a6c1a57105166a877c11

St. George Illawarra Dragons is likely to be stood down from playing by the NRL due to the serious nature of the charge. (AAP Image/Dean Lewins)
MORE NRL NEWS

Knights fuel fire over criminal behaviour

Fans plea: Stop acting like tossers

Acutely aware of the magnitude of the decision, Greenberg has instead chosen to carefully consider the many factors and parties involved, while at the same time, the ARL Commission navigate through the legal minefield involved with overhauling the code’s player behaviour code of conduct policy.

“When you are making these sort of decisions, you are talking about people’s livelihoods, their families. I don’t go off on a whim,’’ Greenberg told The Telegraph.

682caaaa7fa82363f18620ed72ad6912

Todd Greenberg said he would not be rushed on the Jack de Belin decision.
“I know people will say that it takes so long (for the NRL to deliver outcome).

“But I would rather be criticised for being a little more thorough.

“It is a massive decision to conclude policy decisions and finalise sanctions on individuals and clubs.

“These all have an impact on people’s lives.

“I do take that responsibility very seriously and you can tell in my voice talking to you, that I’m passionate about it.

b61f444394b159dfca9d783a128cc1c1

It is highly likely that Jack de Belin will be stood down from playing for the Dragons. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)
“A big part of my job is to do it properly and professionally.’’

Greenberg added that he would ultimately settle on a decision which may not prove the most popular — but the right one for the code.

“When the Integrity Unit brief me on any evidence, I read every page, every line. Sometimes that can equate to large volumes of material,’’ Greenberg said.

“I make sure I know what I am talking about because they are big decisions on people and I won’t do it lightly.

“You want to make sure you get it right.

v2

“When you do these sort of things it has an impact.

“But I have to uphold the rules. That is a big part of the CEO’s responsibility and this is not a popularity contest. The game is bigger than any individual.

“So if I do it, I want to make sure I am getting it right.

“I have to balance the individual against 16 clubs, a $500 million industry, millions of passionate fans, hundreds of thousands of junior participants and also community expectations.

“I have to figure out the balance about which way you pull the pendulum. It is not simple.’’
I say put your money where your mouth is and take responsibility for your actions Greenburg. If it is your decision to suspend or restrict De Belin in any way before the trial is completed, the NRL should compensate both De Belin and SGI for this decision by:
  1. Purchasing De Belin's contract from SGI by issuing a salary cap credit 1.5 times the actual salary plus perks De Belin would have received.
  2. Continue to pay De Belin's salary until the end of the trial and if he is found not guilty provide compensation equal to the value of his contract plus damages.

Tommy Smith

Referee
That's code for "the media say 'jump!' and Toddles says "how high?".

The man is a spineless toad whose punishments dished out are directly proportionate to the level of outrage drummed up by immoral rags like the Daily Telegraph.

Look at the Mitchell Pearce case. 8 weeks and a 200k fine for basically doing nothing wrong! And why? Likely because A Current Affair did an "exclusive" and then the rags covered it on the Front Pages.

And now we have the JDB case where the NRL was set to stand firm on its perfectly sensible policy of letting the courts decide; only for the media to drum up the click bait by dragging out their secret weapon in these instances - the feminist female professor types who scream "won't somebody think of the children!"

And now, once more, it looks like Toddles is about to sing to their tune.

He's a puppet on a string.

The man is a spineless toad whose punishments dished out are directly proportionate to the level of outrage drummed up by immoral rags like the Daily Telegraph.

Look at the Mitchell Pearce case. 8 weeks and a 200k fine for basically doing nothing wrong! And why? Likely because A Current Affair did an "exclusive" and then the rags covered it on the Front Pages.

And now we have the JDB case where the NRL was set to stand firm on its perfectly sensible policy of letting the courts decide; only for the media to drum up the click bait by dragging out their secret weapon in these instances - the feminist female professor types who scream "won't somebody think of the children!"

Wait, what? Tommy, Pearce went into someone's house, pissed on their couch and acted like a prize f****it. That's not "basically doing nothing wrong". It's not "basically doing nothing wrong" from the point of view of the people whose house it was, let alone from the point of view of a competitive entertainment business that relies on the goodwill (and money) of both patrons and sponsors who aren't all blokes in their late teens and early twenties. As a kind of baseline punishment it sounds about right to me. You can argue that, using that baseline for that indiscretion the NRL aren't consistent, fair enough. But Pearce wasn't unfairly done by in any kind of framework.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons coach Paul McGregor calls for patience on Jack de Belin
By AAP
7 hours ago
http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Ff3018a8a-d4ab-4707-9c29-e38266bdac93

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has urged caution over the Jack de Belin situation, with D-Day rapidly approaching in the form of an ARL Commission meeting this week.

The centre of rugby league attention since he was charged with aggravated sexual assault last December, de Belin didn't play in the Dragons' 18-10 NRL trial win over Newcastle on Saturday due to a virus.

A decision on his immediate playing future will likely be made on Thursday by the ARLC, who are considering whether to change the game's policy and stand players down while serious matters are still before the courts.

De Belin has pleaded not guilty to the charge with the Dragons so far opting against standing him down, but the matter has the potential to drag on long term with his next court appearance only a mention in April.

"I recognise the significance and importance surrounding the current proceedings regarding Jack de Belin and the allegations against him," McGregor said.

"There is a judicial process underway to establish a resolution to this allegation and dispute.

"Jack's welfare is our main concern and it is important that integrity and well being are considered.

If history and the past decade has taught us anything in rugby league, it is to refrain from making assumptions prior to legal proceedings being concluded.

"My focus needs to be on all 35 players in our squad and starting the season well for everyone associated with the Dragons and as such, I'm not interested in adding anything further to the commentary on this matter."

Thursday's meeting shapes as a potential battle looms between the game's administrators and the players' union.

ARLC chairman Peter Beattie confirmed this week he was seeking legal advice on whether the NSW State of Origin forward and other off-field offenders could be stood down in such cases.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F12%2F14%2F18%2F09%2F1312-de-belin-5.jpg

Jack De Belin (9NEWS)
Beattie has also indicated he would have stood himself down if he was hypothetically involved in such a matter, and has been open on social media about how off-field behaviour is hurting the game.

But the Rugby League Players' Association boss Ian Prendergast has warned the game they can't be "judge, jury and executioner", a line backed by board member and de Belin's NSW teammate James Maloney.

The Dragons have also warned that any action taken by the club could have ramifications with the fairness of the judiciary process.

:copyright:

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mcgreg...de-belin/41ce5e33-ffce-435c-8fd4-d483bf11c091

getsmarty

Immortal
‘Refrain from making assumptions’: McGregor calls for patience on de Belin
Dragons
  • February 23, 2019 9:12pm
  • by Scott Bailey
  • Source: AAP
0e5932e8ffdbb97ca0c0c5a330bd3f4a

Jack de Belin could be stood down by the NRL next week. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has urged caution over the Jack de Belin situation, with D-Day rapidly approaching in the form of an ARL Commission meeting this week.

The centre of rugby league attention since he was charged with aggravated sexual assault last December, de Belin didn’t play in the Dragons’ 18-10 NRL trial win over Newcastle on Saturday due to a virus.

Round 1
A decision on his immediate playing future will likely be made on Thursday by the ARLC, who are considering whether to change the game’s policy and stand players down while serious matters are still before the courts.

De Belin has pleaded not guilty to the charge with the Dragons so far opting against standing him down, but the matter has the potential to drag on long term with his next court appearance only a mention in April.

“I recognise the significance and importance surrounding the current proceedings regarding Jack de Belin and the allegations against him,” McGregor said.

“There is a judicial process underway to establish a resolution to this allegation and dispute.

“Jack’s welfare is our main concern and it is important that integrity and well being are considered.

“If history and the past decade has taught us anything in rugby league, it is to refrain from making assumptions prior to legal proceedings being concluded.

“My focus needs to be on all 35 players in our squad and starting the season well for everyone associated with the Dragons and as such, I’m not interested in adding anything further to the commentary on this matter.”

Thursday’s meeting shapes as a potential battle between the game’s administrators and the players’ union.

ARLC chairman Peter Beattie confirmed this week he was seeking legal advice on whether the NSW State of Origin forward and other off-field offenders could be stood down in such cases.

Beattie has also indicated he would have stood himself down if he was hypothetically involved in such a matter, and has been open on social media about how off-field behaviour is hurting the game.

But the Rugby League Players’ Association boss Ian Prendergast has warned the game they can’t be “judge, jury and executioner”, a line backed by board member and de Belin’s NSW teammate James Maloney.

The Dragons have also warned that any action taken by the club could have ramifications with the fairness of the judiciary process.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k=34eb72cda70b4767b312d447283e3d7b-1550987193

getsmarty

Immortal
de-belinj-180506_gt_11.jpg

DRAGONS

McGregor plans to pick de Belin for Charity Shield
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 23 Feb 2019, 08:18 PM
walterbrad-head.png

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has called for calm over Jack de Belin as he confirmed the NSW State of Origin forward would be selected for next weekend’s Charity Shield clash with South Sydney.

De Belin, whose immediate playing future is set to be decided at Thursday's ARL Commission meeting, did not play in Saturday's 18-10 trial defeat of Newcastle at WIN Stadium due to a virus.

However, McGregor said he would name de Belin, who has been charged with aggravated sexual assault, to return in the Charity Shield alongside England prop James Graham and Australian second-rower Tyson Frizell.

"We'll be running out our side as close as we can to round one and the players will be playing minutes as close to what they need to be ready for round one," McGregor said.

"I will choose the closest 17 as I can who are fit and healthy, and that will include James and Friz being back next week and obviously Jack if he is available."

Match Highlights: Dragons v Knights

McGregor did not want to take any questions on de Belin, who has become the focal point of an off-season of player misbehaviour after the allegations against him were detailed in court evidence, but he outlined his views in a prepared statement.

"I recognise the significance and importance surrounding the current proceedings regarding Jack de Belin and the allegations against him. There is a judicial process underway to establish a resolution to this allegation and dispute," McGregor said.

"Jack's welfare is our main concern and it is important that integrity and wellbeing are considered.

"If history and the past decade has taught us anything in rugby league, it is to refrain from making assumptions prior to legal proceedings being concluded.

huntb_rc1_9407.jpg

Dragons halfback Ben Hunt :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
"My focus needs to be on all 35 players in our squad and starting the season well for everyone associated with the Dragons and as such, I'm not interested in adding anything further to the commentary on this matter."

The Dragons used 28 players in the trial against the Knights and McGregor was largely happy with the performance of his key players but admitted there were still some positions yet to be decided.

Among them are right centre and right wing, with Zac Lomax playing both positions during the trial, while Eaun Aitken started at right centre before moving to left centre in the second half.

McGregor confirmed that fullback Matt Dufty was likely to fill the No.14 jersey in a move which could see captain Gareth Widdop shift to five-eighth, Corey Norman to halfback, Ben Hunt to hooker and Cameron McGuiness to lock when Dufty came on.

widdopg_rc1_8965.jpg

Gareth Widdop takes on the Knights defence. :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
“We know Gareth is a world class five-eighth, he was also one of the better players at the World Cup at fullback, we know Hunty can nine, he plays off the interchange at nine for Australia and Cam can play 13 so there is an opportunity to play them all at some stage as well,” McGregor said.

“Duft is a really important part of our team, he knows that and that is why he stayed with us long term. I would rather be looking at them than looking for them, and to have the depth there is good.”

Hooker Reece Robson is another option for the bench utility role, while prop Josh Kerr only needs to increase the length of time he can play in each stint to come into contention for an interchange role.

Fijian winger Mikaele Ravalawa scored two tries and while he is a raw talent McGregor said he was a player who had put himself in the frame.

“He finished off two nice tries but unfortunately he came up with two errors in yardage as well so we have just got to make his best and worst not too far apart,” McGregor said.

“He is certainly an athlete, he is (188cm), 106kg, can run, changes ball with either hand, fends with either arm, he is explosive so we have got to keep working with him because he is only new to our systems but he is a big boy and something we are looking for in our outside backs.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/23/mcgregor-plans-to-pick-de-belin-for-charity-shield/

Brutalitops

Juniors

People constantly misrepresent the Pearce incident. Not only did he do the dog stuff everyone remembers, but he sexually harassed a girl on film and this was not his first offence. Does anyone recall the nightclub incident from a couple of years ago?

Brutalitops

Juniors
Let's just get it done. He's going to be suspended, that's fine, but stop leaving it so close to the season. By Round 1 we would have been well over it but it's been left so close it will surely be fresh in minds. Let's let it get sorted out behind the scenes and hopefully we can lock these threads.

In the meantime I'm excited to see who steps up in his absence. Josh Kerr surely gets in the team now

possm

Coach
Let's just get it done. He's going to be suspended, that's fine, but stop leaving it so close to the season. By Round 1 we would have been well over it but it's been left so close it will surely be fresh in minds. Let's let it get sorted out behind the scenes and hopefully we can lock these threads.

In the meantime I'm excited to see who steps up in his absence. Josh Kerr surely gets in the team now
Favouritism at NRL level is rife and unhealthy for the game. I'm sure that if it was a Storm, Broncos, Rooters or Dogs player, no moves to introduce such rules would be in motion.

Greenburg feels free to act now because the suspension rule does not effect the favoured Clubs or his beloved Canterbury.

I say if it is deemed that something dramatic must be done now to set a standard, then the NRL must transfer all responsibility for such a decision to itself; including all financial aspects and salary cap adjustments to the player's club.

Status
Not open for further replies.