What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2019

Mate nothing will change while Mary is coach .... 6 years on still the same plays and problems in our back line . Not just Mary but the whole boys Club thing is tighter than we think , and it will take a long time to split ..... I know its only a trial but the same things appear year after year .... Its going to be a long season . I hope I'm wrong ....

Unfortunately there are those who prop up the board by purchasing annual memberships. Unforgivable

Straight Shooter

You realise that Pearson is also a fringe first grade winger?

Yes Jimmy,

he was a fringe Bronco winger behind Oates and Isaako, both of whom would have walked into our team as wingers in 2018 and 2019.

however, he is much faster and right now we need a sharp finisher.

Jordan will try his heart out all season.

Unfortunately, we need someone better.

Nene Macdonald looks like a superstar to me right about now.

kit66

Bench
In our trials and early games last year our right side defence was woeful. It improved as the season went on but was occasionally exploited by the more savvy coaches. I'm not as confident of getting that fixed this year.
Very disappointed with Lomax the last two weeks, defensively suspect, can't catch, panics and his runs are far too soft. Doesn't deserve Lafai's spot on those performances and is lost on the wing.
Our forwards weren't too bad except when defending our right side, should have been spreading / sliding a lot faster to plug the gaps. Just before one Bunnies try we had just 2 defenders to the right of the goal posts, you could see the try coming 2 plays before it happened.
It's only a trial but I'm sticking with my belief that Widdop is our 6, Dufty is our 1 and simply must be out there for the 80 mins and Frizell is wasted in the middle.

Trial or not that was pitiful.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I think the Dragons’ frailties were there for all to see tonight:

1. the absence of established wingers is yet another damning indictment against Millward.

Lomax cannot play on the right flank - it’s as simple as that.

2. each time Saints had the ascendancy, an idiotic McInnes error saw Souths turn the tide.

I hope the Parramatta rumour is true, and anyone who says he’s an upgrade with what SGI had previously should give themselves an uppercut,

3. Norman is overrated.

4. the only time Saints had attacking fluency came off the Hunt-Widdop partnership.

Gareth MUST NOT play fullback.

5. every year we have the same discussion.. .Mcgregor cannot use his bench effectively, and he was schooled by Bennett.

6. Host just doesn’t possess the same impact as Lawrie.

7. Ravalawa is more Nabuli than Radradra.

8. Graham offers very little impact.

9. Lafai is easily the club’s best centre...a scary prospect.

10. McGregor and “contract extension” doesn’t go in the same sentence.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Yes Jimmy,

he was a fringe Bronco winger behind Oates and Isaako, both of whom would have walked into our team as wingers in 2018 and 2019.

however, he is much faster and right now we need a sharp finisher.

Jordan will try his heart out all season.

Unfortunately, we need someone better.

Nene Macdonald looks like a superstar to me right about now.

To think, the club allegedly went cold on Brett Morris....what a disaster!

I could cry.

A lot of Concern Trolls here again. People think this is the finished product of how we will play this season. Remember defence was a problem in last year's CS, but we turned it around by round one. Just let them work on these new edge combinations before you jump off a cliff.

Also Dufty came on with 19 MINUTES to go, and it was no secret if anybody read this article.

Meanwhile, McGregor revealed his intentions for Matt Dufty this season, which he planned to trial in the final 20 minutes of the Charity Shield.

"Dufty is really important to our success in 2019 and he'll be in our 17, and injuries and Duff's form will determine when and where he plays,'' McGregor said.

"We signed him another two years because we hold him in such high regard.

"I will always carry an outside back. I carried Kurt Mann last year, he's not there, and I'll need to carry a utility.

"And with Gareth able to play in halves I can carry Matty.

"Gareth can go into the halves, Benny [Hunt] can go to No. 9 and Cam [McInnes] can go to No. 13. All of a sudden they're all on the field and Cam can play No. 13. He's proven that before [he can play there]. That's how we'll play the last 20 minutes in the Charity Shield.''

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wi...-to-lead-dragons-forward-20190302-p511bm.html

They needed to mostly test the spine they're going to use in round 1. Like it or not Robson won't be in the 17, period. I agree that Aitken at centre & Lomax on the wing is a big problem. Just wish people would not have blind criticism.

Most of the "concerned trolls" know this is not the finished product.

It ticks some of us off that our defence looked as if the players met in the car park 5 minutes before kick off.

These guys are "professionals" and have been training together for a few weeks now. with our coaching staff.

Tonight they didn't seem prepared. I don't propose to pull out a razor blade anytime soon:)

Last edited by a moderator:

ViceVersa

Juniors
I think the Dragons’ frailties were there for all to see tonight:

1. the absence of established wingers is yet another damning indictment against Millward.

Lomax cannot play on the right flank - it’s as simple as that.

2. each time Saints had the ascendancy, an idiotic McInnes error saw Souths turn the tide.

I hope the Parramatta rumour is true, and anyone who says he’s an upgrade with what SGI had previously should give themselves an uppercut,

3. Norman is overrated.

4. the only time Saints had attacking fluency came off the Hunt-Widdop partnership.

Gareth MUST NOT play fullback.

5. every year we have the same discussion.. .Mcgregor cannot use his bench effectively, and he was schooled by Bennett.

6. Host just doesn’t possess the same impact as Lawrie.

7. Ravalawa is more Nabuli than Radradra.

8. Graham offers very little impact.

9. Lafai is easily the club’s best centre...a scary prospect.

10. McGregor and “contract extension” doesn’t go in the same sentence.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Gee, I must have seen a different game to some.

I was very impressed with the halves and the promise of Widdop at fullback... though Dufty is a great option too (nothing changed in the 5 minutes he was on :laughing:)

Luc neeeds motivating, but still hopeful

Lomax showed last season he has the ability. A few shockers is a disappointment, but I don’t read too much into it yet. Just maybe consider leaving him in reserves for now? Or shift him to centre...

Kerr wasn’t given a chance. Wtf?

Our defence on the wings was ridiculous. Something must be done.
Peirera was decent. He may not be a superstar, but we are weak in this position and he is solid. Mika has done enough to secure a trial in the wing considering the same. Lafai has done enough considering.

So Aitken... down on confidence... not playing well. But Lomax isn’t either. Clear what needs to be done, but not how.

Jbjbjb40

Juniors
Yes we played so well without him when he was injured last year. Oh that’s right, we didn’t...
When our bYou can’t fault his passion and all round commitment? For a skipper of the mighty dragons? Please
Yes we played so well without him when he was injured last year. Oh that’s right, we didn’t...
Haha. Remember the last time we had the ball in our hands last season? If he passes the ball after assessing the blatant overlap and acting as you would expect a marquee player to do so v Souths last year we get through.
Skipper of the mighty red v needs to show more heart all round for mine!!

rasaint

Juniors
Yes had a look at the game.

The gifted one was dreadful. Dropped balls, missed tackles, slipping and sliding, wobbly offloads and does a funny little kinky dance before getting smashed. He looks nervous and frustrated, lacks dash.

Euan believes he is superman but gets poleaxed these days

Seriously Lawrie trys hard full stop. Just like last year. Underwhelming.

Ravalawa can bend the line, let’s see where to from here. No to josh P but trys hard. Lacks dash. Remember Nene the whipping boy here on the forum. Made huge metres and very quick. Bye bye Nene wish you were still here.

Thank heavens for Tim Lafai. Strong and even the best centres find him difficult to handle.

It’s silly running a world class 5/8 like Gareth at fullback. Big joke leaving our Porsche in the garage most of the game and apparently most of season.

Ascalon

Juniors
I love the red and white as does my entire family so my wife and I travelled the 6 hours to Mudgee from the mid north coast with our 2 boys. Mudgee has signs everywhere advertising the dragons and their affiliation with the club including promoting the game here in May.
We enjoyed the game even though saints looked very clunky.
However, I though it was very ordinary that given the crap our great club has copped over the last few weeks that only two players made the effort to conduct a partial trip around the field to sign some autographs and have a photo (Lawrie and Pereira). The entire Souths outfit walked a lap signing things and taking photos. It wasn’t lost on the saints supporters in the crowd also. Saints have taken games to the country and hosted this match to engage support from the country but it was the visitors that were engaging the crowd. Sam burgess and Cook were still signing autographs as the security were trying to get people to leave!
We met the NSW indigenous under 16 team earlier in the day and they were all fine young men who engaged with children and gave my boys the footies they were training with and posed for photos. Saints could learn a lot from these young men and the Souths players whom were also very approachable even to those children adorned in red and white.

ViceVersa

Juniors
I love the red and white as does my entire family so my wife and I travelled the 6 hours to Mudgee from the mid north coast with our 2 boys. Mudgee has signs everywhere advertising the dragons and their affiliation with the club including promoting the game here in May.
We enjoyed the game even though saints looked very clunky.
However, I though it was very ordinary that given the crap our great club has copped over the last few weeks that only two players made the effort to conduct a partial trip around the field to sign some autographs and have a photo (Lawrie and Pereira). The entire Souths outfit walked a lap signing things and taking photos. It wasn’t lost on the saints supporters in the crowd also. Saints have taken games to the country and hosted this match to engage support from the country but it was the visitors that were engaging the crowd. Sam burgess and Cook were still signing autographs as the security were trying to get people to leave!
We met the NSW indigenous under 16 team earlier in the day and they were all fine young men who engaged with children and gave my boys the footies they were training with and posed for photos. Saints could learn a lot from these young men and the Souths players whom were also very approachable even to those children adorned in red and white.

It's because we lost. I go to every game and there's always the players that thank us, win lose or draw. But they mostly only come to the fence when we win. That goes for most teams.

Ascalon

Juniors
It's because we lost. I go to every game and there's always the players that thank us, win lose or draw. But they mostly only come to the fence when we win. That goes for most teams.
I hear what your saying but it was a trial in an area where you are trying to build support. None of them looked that dejected at the loss when they were chatting to the Souths players after the game. Walking 20 m to middle of the park to gesture to the crowd is just ordinary. How hard is it to have a few players go a few directions and have a photo. I used to attend all games when lived in the city and understand why they don’t after a premiership game.
Given the flack we have been copping, our ordinary membership figures and the reason they are in the country one would think that it would be a good PR move to engage the crowd.

gitano

Juniors
Aitken and Lafai are our best centres as I've said all along.

Lomax needs to work on his positioning and defence on the wing to cling onto a first grade spot.

Dufty is a no point selection on the bench. Robson is class.

getsmarty

Immortal
South Sydney beat St George Illawarra Dragons in NRL Charity Shield
Local Sport
r0_0_4201_2371_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Hit and miss: The Dragons celebrate a try against Souths in the Charity Shield. Picture: AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts

St George Illawarra are facing the spotlight of a different kind after Saturday night's 36-24 Charity Shield loss to South Sydney at Mudgee.

After an off-season where the Jack de Belin rape allegations have taken the focus away from the upcoming season and the NRL this week stood him down indefinitely, the Dragons just wanted to put it to one side and let their footy do the talking.

But their right-sided defence is causing a whole new wave of headaches for coach Paul McGregor.

Up by six after Campbell Graham scored on the back of a Dragons error in the opening exchanges, rookie winger Corey Allan made the most of his opportunities to create a 16-6 lead for Souths, now coached by 2010 St George Illawarra premiership coach Wayne Bennett.

Allan's first two tries, terrorising the Dragons' right hand side, which started with Zac Lomax on the wing and Euan Aitken in the centres, came either side of Lomax's own response when Ben Hunt floated a wide pass to him.

And by half-time, the Dragons' left-edge had stolen the advantage, as Tim Lafai crossed for a double of his own to make it 18-16 at half-time.

But St George Illawarra's defensive woes continued after the break, as Cody Walker and Cameron Murray put the Rabbitohs ahead, Allan adding his third in the 50th minute.

By that stage, Lomax had moved to the centres and Mikaele Ravalawa, whom the Dragons hope can replace either Jason Nightingale or Nene MacDonald, was on the wing, producing the same defensive result.

Tariq Sims hit back from some deft passing to make it 32-24.

Bailey Sironen barged his way to the try line with 11 minutes left to cement the Bunnies' victory.

The Dragons take on North Queensland in Townsville in the season opener on March 16.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ce-new-issue-as-nrl-season-approaches/?cs=302

Frank Facer

First Grade
A lot of Concern Trolls here again. People think this is the finished product of how we will play this season. Remember defence was a problem in last year's CS, but we turned it around by round one. Just let them work on these new edge combinations before you jump off a cliff.

Also Dufty came on with 19 MINUTES to go, and it was no secret if anybody read this article.

Meanwhile, McGregor revealed his intentions for Matt Dufty this season, which he planned to trial in the final 20 minutes of the Charity Shield.

"Dufty is really important to our success in 2019 and he'll be in our 17, and injuries and Duff's form will determine when and where he plays,'' McGregor said.

"We signed him another two years because we hold him in such high regard.

"I will always carry an outside back. I carried Kurt Mann last year, he's not there, and I'll need to carry a utility.

"And with Gareth able to play in halves I can carry Matty.

"Gareth can go into the halves, Benny [Hunt] can go to No. 9 and Cam [McInnes] can go to No. 13. All of a sudden they're all on the field and Cam can play No. 13. He's proven that before [he can play there]. That's how we'll play the last 20 minutes in the Charity Shield.''

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wi...-to-lead-dragons-forward-20190302-p511bm.html

They needed to mostly test the spine they're going to use in round 1. Like it or not Robson won't be in the 17, period. I agree that Aitken at centre & Lomax on the wing is a big problem. Just wish people would not have blind criticism.
The problem with carrying an outside back on the bench is that if a forward gets injured or HIA, we are then down to only 2 forwards on the bench. Forwards are more likely to get injured or HIA.

Last edited by a moderator: