What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2019

Souths turned up motivated, focused, sharp and were slick.

We lacked motivation and focus, particularly at the beginning of each half.

Hunt, Norman and Lafai played well in attack.

Losing Vaughan early didn't help.

Luc was slow and ineffective in defence.

Zac Lomax is a centre and shouldn't be selected on the Wing.

Our Fijian flyer should start at right wing. He has the leg drive we need but must work on his handling.

Pereira tried very hard but he is a fringe first grade winger. Look forward to Pearson getting a crack at the left wing spot by mid-season.

Timm looks more effective than Lawrie.

Don't understand why Kerr was not given a run.

Host, Frizell, the Sims brothers, Latimore and McInnes defended well.

McInnes was somewhat sloppy at dummy half early. But his defensive effectiveness and work rate is undeniable.

Robson is sharper at dummy half overall but will be lucky to get 5 minutes per game.

Widdop was no better than Dufty as a fullback.

It is going to take a few more weeks for the squad to gel as a defensive unit.

JDB will be sorely missed.

All in all, it is obvious that McGenius had pencilled in his squad of 17 players for round 1 before this game was played, hence the lack of playing time afforded to various fringe players like Field, Kerr, Robson and Co.

Am hoping we improve markedly in round 1.

Wittenberg

Juniors
McInnes looks like a player who plays for Parramatta. His ball presentation was woeful. Keep waiting for him to get one over Cook and so far not been forthcoming.
McInnes is so predictable. Gives penalties away every game and slow getting back in the ruck. Makes plenty of tackles but misses a few and does not provide a different point of attack. I thought he was so much of a cut above Rein when he arrived but over the last two seasons he has not developed. Only slightly above an average hooker.

blacksafake

First Grade
Well, I’m not getting my hopes up on that performance. It’s just a continuation of the last 5 bloody years. Anything good comes from individuals instead of team structures.
I know I’m probably stating the obvious but we have a good side which is poorly coached & lacking in some of the basic skills. My thoughts after watching tonight.

If L plate is given an extension, I’m done.
Lomax is a centre only, Aitken is not.
We NEED wingers.
We have a Rolls Royce getting smashed at fullback.
Without Widdop, Hunt & Norman our attack sucks.
Luc still can’t/won’t tackle.
If we lose any of Friz,Tariq or Vaughan it won’t be pleasant.
L plate hasn’t learnt & won’t,Sends Friz back on with less than 10 to go, Robson gets a token 5 minutes, Kerr & Field not sighted off nobbies. Its an Effin trial you muppet, use your bench.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Well, I’m not getting my hopes up on that performance. It’s just a continuation of the last 5 bloody years. Anything good comes from individuals instead of team structures.
I know I’m probably stating the obvious but we have a good side which is poorly coached & lacking in some of the basic skills. My thoughts after watching tonight.

If L plate is given an extension, I’m done.
Lomax is a centre only, Aitken is not.
We NEED wingers.
We have a Rolls Royce getting smashed at fullback.
Without Widdop, Hunt & Norman our attack sucks.
Luc still can’t/won’t tackle.
If we lose any of Friz,Tariq or Vaughan it won’t be pleasant.
L plate hasn’t learnt & won’t,Sends Friz back on with less than 10 to go, Robson gets a token 5 minutes, Kerr & Field not sighted off nobbies. Its an Effin trial you muppet, use your bench.
Its obvious what our starting line up will be for round1

hazzbeen

Bench
Hardly surprising given our head coach.

Straight Shooter
Mate nothing will change while Mary is coach .... 6 years on still the same plays and problems in our back line . Not just Mary but the whole boys Club thing is tighter than we think , and it will take a long time to split ..... I know its only a trial but the same things appear year after year .... Its going to be a long season . I hope I'm wrong ....

ViceVersa

Juniors
A lot of Concern Trolls here again. People think this is the finished product of how we will play this season. Remember defence was a problem in last year's CS, but we turned it around by round one. Just let them work on these new edge combinations before you jump off a cliff.

Also Dufty came on with 19 MINUTES to go, and it was no secret if anybody read this article.

Meanwhile, McGregor revealed his intentions for Matt Dufty this season, which he planned to trial in the final 20 minutes of the Charity Shield.

"Dufty is really important to our success in 2019 and he'll be in our 17, and injuries and Duff's form will determine when and where he plays,'' McGregor said.

"We signed him another two years because we hold him in such high regard.

"I will always carry an outside back. I carried Kurt Mann last year, he's not there, and I'll need to carry a utility.

"And with Gareth able to play in halves I can carry Matty.

"Gareth can go into the halves, Benny [Hunt] can go to No. 9 and Cam [McInnes] can go to No. 13. All of a sudden they're all on the field and Cam can play No. 13. He's proven that before [he can play there]. That's how we'll play the last 20 minutes in the Charity Shield.''

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wi...-to-lead-dragons-forward-20190302-p511bm.html

They needed to mostly test the spine they're going to use in round 1. Like it or not Robson won't be in the 17, period. I agree that Aitken at centre & Lomax on the wing is a big problem. Just wish people would not have blind criticism.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Souths turned up motivated, focused, sharp and were slick.

We lacked motivation and focus, particularly at the beginning of each half.

Hunt, Norman and Lafai played well in attack.

Losing Vaughan early didn't help.

Luc was slow and ineffective in defence.

Zac Lomax is a centre and shouldn't be selected on the Wing.

Our Fijian flyer should start at right wing. He has the leg drive we need but must work on his handling.

Pereira tried very hard but he is a fringe first grade winger. Look forward to Pearson getting a crack at the left wing spot by mid-season.

Timm looks more effective than Lawrie.

Don't understand why Kerr was not given a run.

Host, Frizell, the Sims brothers, Latimore and McInnes defended well.

McInnes was somewhat sloppy at dummy half early. But his defensive effectiveness and work rate is undeniable.

Robson is sharper at dummy half overall but will be lucky to get 5 minutes per game.

Widdop was no better than Dufty as a fullback.

It is going to take a few more weeks for the squad to gel as a defensive unit.

JDB will be sorely missed.

All in all, it is obvious that McGenius had pencilled in his squad of 17 players for round 1 before this game was played, hence the lack of playing time afforded to various fringe players like Field, Kerr, Robson and Co.

Am hoping we improve markedly in round 1.

You realise that Pearson is also a fringe first grade winger?

Latest posts