What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2019

Old Timer

Coach
So assume they were/are ready, who plays wing in ISP?
You have got to joking with that question come on tell me it’s a gee up?
Surely to god you are not suggesting we should worry about who plays wing in ISP before selecting who plays wing in 1st grade?
My post shows we have 6 potential wingers in the club and I suggested if we had purchased a top notch winger we didn’t need to buy 1 out Pearson & Ravalawa and didn’t need to extend Pereira.
6 -2 + 1 = 5 for 2 spots why do you ask such stupid questions 2 Dogs?
I haven’t even added Maranta or Runciman in the equation and tbh who really gives a f**k about ISP anyway?

denis preston

First Grade
Surely to god you are not suggesting we should worry about who plays wing in ISP before selecting who plays wing in 1st grade?
My post shows we have 6 potential wingers in the club and I suggested if we had purchased a top notch winger we didn’t need to buy 1 out Pearson & Ravalawa and didn’t need to extend Pereira.
I haven’t even added Maranta or Runciman in the equation and tbh who really gives a f**k about ISP anyway?

OT, your continual negative rants are getting tiresome , for me anyway ( not that it should worry you ) I'm as much a critic of McGregor as anyone but Jesus give some credit to the team & club when it's warranted. Going by your threads you would think we won the wooden spoon for the past two seasons.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Kevin Ryan was literally hard as cement.

Euan has a long way to go before I will utter his name in the same sentence as Kevin Ryan.
Don't know if he was literally as hard as cement but you get a full point for that.

Kevin 'Kandos' Ryan. That was the only reason why I went there today.

possm

Coach

We needed to buy B Morris and George Jennings before buying any untried fringe wingers. I've said it before, Millward has not got a clue. And as far as centres go, Mary should never have let go Mann.

Widdop should have been let go this year. Robson should have been extended last year.

These old boys just aren't up to the job, they prance around making a mess of our Club with no accountability. Only when the board is answerable to the fans will people in control be accountable for their actions.

Not sure if it's been covered yet or not but I love how the NRL pick and choose what to celebrate and what to come down on.

Sam Burgess smacks Pereira's head off, comes up swearing to the ref (an action his coach wasn't happy about) and all the while we have to listen to Mick Ennis carrying on about 'how you've got to love him'.

They have their favourites don't they.

True_Believer

Juniors

My original question was whether you thought we needed to bring players to the club. I was asking because I wasn't sure what you were suggesting. To me, your reply suggested that Saab and Masters were enough and we didn't need any more. That is why I asked who would play in the ISP - purely because we need more than 2 wingers.

You have cleared up your point in this response albeit condescendingly and aggressively. You know I might be genuinely asking a question because your previous posts don't make sense to me? You don't have to jump down peoples throats every post.

And for your information, I think you have to worry about ISP because you do get injuries and some players you choose may not be performing so you need players good enough to step up - no matter who is playing in the NRL. I also don't think we needed to buy a "top notch winger" - especially not one B Morris.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
OT, your continual negative rants are getting tiresome , for me anyway ( not that it should worry you ) I'm as much a critic of McGregor as anyone but Jesus give some credit to the team & club when it's warranted. Going by your threads you would think we won the wooden spoon for the past two seasons.
You obviously don't think my post re the wingers was either clear or valid?
By the way I am more than happy to endorse and praise things that I think are good but IMHO there isn't much to comment about in that category so in the end all that is left is to comment on things that I think are ordinary.
If people were only to post on positives this place wouldn't be open very long under current circumstances.

denis preston

First Grade
You obviously don't think my post re the wingers was either clear or valid?
By the way I am more than happy to endorse and praise things that I think are good but IMHO there isn't much to comment about in that category so in the end all that is left is to comment on things that I think are ordinary.
If people were only to post on positives this place wouldn't be open very long under current circumstances.

Agree, but for a balanced debate some recognition of positive moves from players & club would actually reinforce the negatives.If other posters already know what a certain poster is going to respond with they ( or i do ) just quickly glance at these comments , particularly when no solution or alternative is offered.I think sometimes when i get narky with the club i take a deep breath and realise when compared to most other clubs, it is the nature of the beast and we are not alone in the way we are managed. Only the cashed up clubs cover their mistakes better. Doesn't excuse it and i will be vocal where i see fit to criticise but the club ( or should i see team ) has made great inroads over the past 2 years particularly with the personnel changes ( and despite the coaching setup ! )

True_Believer

Juniors
So @Old Timer, given your preference to bring juniors through (which has some merit), and combine that with others suggestions in the forums, this is the potential scenario we have:

1. Dufty (although disputed by some based on his apparent crippling deficiencies)
  2. Saab/Masters (as we need to skip ISP and blood our juniors with a pick and stick mentality)
  3. Lomax – who, although has not performed well in the trials is excluded from any criticism
  4. Unknown (begrudgingly Lafai as we lack any other valid options – maybe Norman or Widdop however there are also calls for Widdop to be let go. Some suggest Masters. Now if only we had retained Herbert…)
  5. Saab/Masters
  6. Field (Widdop to be let go and Norman hasn’t performed in the trials or may be forced into centre - additionally Field performed well in one trial against a well understrength Newcastle so he should be a shoe-in)
  7. Hunt (iffy as he hasn’t lived up to his price tag)
  8. Vaughn (apparently dropped form last year and needs to pick up his act this year)
  9. Robson – the next incarnation of the messiah even though he hasn't proven anything in NRL
  10. See below
  11. T Sims
  12. See below
  13. See below

Only starting forward options confirmed are Sims in second row and Vaughn (although he's on his last chance). Other starting forward is Frizz however there is some conjecture as to what position he may play. That leaves the remaining 2 starting positions and the bench to be made up by Kerr, K Sims (who was a dud signing), Host, Luciano, Timm, Graham (who some are suggesting is past it), Lawrie and maybe McInness (if he doesn’t go to Parramatta). There may be others but discussion around them has been limited.

So the starting side includes at least 5 rookies (including Lomax who has only had a couple of games in NRL) and possibly up to 7 - plus Dufty who some claim isn’t ready for first grade at all and needs at least another year in ISP.

This to me looks like the Newcastle that Brownie took over and claimed the wooden spoon a couple of years in a row. Even including or blooding this many rookies in a year is asking for trouble. It’s ludicrous and unsustainable. If we were to do this to this extent, I'm sure the club wouldn't be excused for the performance because it was what the fans wanted. The club and the coach would be burned at the stake.

Old Timer

Coach
So @Old Timer, given your preference to bring juniors through (which has some merit), and combine that with others suggestions in the forums, this is the potential scenario we have:

1. Dufty (although disputed by some based on his apparent crippling deficiencies)
  2. Saab/Masters (as we need to skip ISP and blood our juniors with a pick and stick mentality)
  3. Lomax – who, although has not performed well in the trials is excluded from any criticism
  4. Unknown (begrudgingly Lafai as we lack any other valid options – maybe Norman or Widdop however there are also calls for Widdop to be let go. Some suggest Masters. Now if only we had retained Herbert…)
  5. Saab/Masters
  6. Field (Widdop to be let go and Norman hasn’t performed in the trials or may be forced into centre - additionally Field performed well in one trial against a well understrength Newcastle so he should be a shoe-in)
  7. Hunt (iffy as he hasn’t lived up to his price tag)
  8. Vaughn (apparently dropped form last year and needs to pick up his act this year)
  9. Robson – the next incarnation of the messiah even though he hasn't proven anything in NRL
  10. See below
  11. T Sims
  12. See below
  13. See below

Only starting forward options confirmed are Sims in second row and Vaughn (although he's on his last chance). Other starting forward is Frizz however there is some conjecture as to what position he may play. That leaves the remaining 2 starting positions and the bench to be made up by Kerr, K Sims (who was a dud signing), Host, Luciano, Timm, Graham (who some are suggesting is past it), Lawrie and maybe McInness (if he doesn’t go to Parramatta). There may be others but discussion around them has been limited.

So the starting side includes at least 5 rookies (including Lomax who has only had a couple of games in NRL) and possibly up to 7 - plus Dufty who some claim isn’t ready for first grade at all and needs at least another year in ISP.

This to me looks like the Newcastle that Brownie took over and claimed the wooden spoon a couple of years in a row. Even including or blooding this many rookies in a year is asking for trouble. It’s ludicrous and unsustainable. If we were to do this to this extent, I'm sure the club wouldn't be excused for the performance because it was what the fans wanted. The club and the coach would be burned at the stake.
Nice post and shows clearly the differences in opinions in this place.
You are correct in saying that I have a preference for juniors to come through the system but that is always on the proviso that we are not signing a current or soon to emerge SOO / Kangaroo player.
Signing the likes of Latimore, Masoe, Nicholls, Allgood etc to be 1st grade options ahead of talented youth IMO shows a complete lack of ability to transition players, however if you signed a Klemmer, Arrow, Creighton, Cleary then there is no room for criticism.
Fair to say I am not a fan of the Graham signing as IMO his best footy is 3 years ago but there is no denying his passion and leadership but was that a good enough reason to sign him and if so how deplorable are we in that our great club had to look elsewhere to get that essential attitude?
My argument re Saab & Masters which I think you may have misunderstood was based on people saying we still need to buy a top class winger.
Simply put if we still need a winger after signing Pearson & Ravalawa and extending Pereira then we have done something incredibly stupid and all the while we are selling short Masters & Saab who have had stellar junior careers and been more than competent in ISP.
Is signing Ravalawa and Pearson and extending Pereira showing any confidence in Saab & Masters or providing them any incentive to want to stay at our club?
Can anyone confirm categorically that Ravalawa and Pearson will go any better than Masters and Saab in the top grade and if so based on what evidence?
Somehow we will now probably find a way to inhibit Lomax as our next best centre option. Other than a couple of posters is there anyone who really believes Aitken should start ahead of Lomax and if Lomax is picked should he be relegated after 1 or 2 games or should we persist with him (god only knows we did with Aitken, Lafai and Rein despite seasons of under performing).
Host only through adversity finally gets a chance and he appears to be taking that chance with both hands and IMO outperformed Luc, Latimore & K Sims in the trials despite having had shoulder surgery which interestingly, people offer up as an argument against Widdop.
For the record my team based on the trials which to me should be part of the litmus test for selection.
Dufty, Masters, Lomax, Lafai, Ravalawa, Widdop, Hunt, Vaughan, Mc Innes. Lawrie, T Sims, Host, Frizzell Bench Graham, Kerr, K Sims, Norman
Re Dufty IMO he is our best FB option despite his deficiencies.
Re Norman I still don't get this signing and IMO is confusing and clouding selecting our best players in their best positions and again does little to enthuse the likes of Field. Having him also means we have to use him and in my team he plays bench but that spot should have gone to Robson.
Re Widdop IMO our best 5/8 by a fair margin and a IMO it is a complete myth about his ability to play a complete season in the NRL at FB. The argument re him leaving is not valid as many clubs know that star players have only 1 season left with them and they don't sacrifice them to the scrap bin, instead they use them to get the best result possible in the limited time left at the club.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Expression of Interest - Defence Plan / Coach.
Please send all resumes to I. Millward
C/O - Dragons Management 2019.
All applications regardless of experience will be considered.
All applications with no experience will be considered.

All good OKB but Mary decides on his coaching staff. Millwall is only a recruitment officer .

Dragonsamy

Bench
Spot stuffing around with the spine.
Put widdop back at 6 Hunt to 7 and Duffy to 1.
If not working out then move hunt to 9( Untill Robson is ready to take over and can play 80 mins) . Put McInnis to 14 and Norman to the centres. Drop Aitken.
Lomaz is not a winger and should be centre or not in the team.
My option is lafai and lomaz as our centres.
Eventually but to me Lomax is struggling at the moment

LINESPEED

Juniors
Spot stuffing around with the spine.
Put widdop back at 6 Hunt to 7 and Duffy to 1.
If not working out then move hunt to 9( Untill Robson is ready to take over and can play 80 mins) . Put McInnis to 14 and Norman to the centres. Drop Aitken.
Lomaz is not a winger and should be centre or not in the team.
My option is lafai and lomaz as our centres.
Eventually but to me Lomax is struggling at the moment
Nice to see someone else has a handle on the bleeding obvious

True_Believer

Juniors
Nice post and shows clearly the differences in opinions in this place.
You are correct in saying that I have a preference for juniors to come through the system but that is always on the proviso that we are not signing a current or soon to emerge SOO / Kangaroo player.
Signing the likes of Latimore, Masoe, Nicholls, Allgood etc to be 1st grade options ahead of talented youth IMO shows a complete lack of ability to transition players, however if you signed a Klemmer, Arrow, Creighton, Cleary then there is no room for criticism.
Fair to say I am not a fan of the Graham signing as IMO his best footy is 3 years ago but there is no denying his passion and leadership but was that a good enough reason to sign him and if so how deplorable are we in that our great club had to look elsewhere to get that essential attitude?
My argument re Saab & Masters which I think you may have misunderstood was based on people saying we still need to buy a top class winger.
Simply put if we still need a winger after signing Pearson & Ravalawa and extending Pereira then we have done something incredibly stupid and all the while we are selling short Masters & Saab who have had stellar junior careers and been more than competent in ISP.
Is signing Ravalawa and Pearson and extending Pereira showing any confidence in Saab & Masters or providing them any incentive to want to stay at our club?
Can anyone confirm categorically that Ravalawa and Pearson will go any better than Masters and Saab in the top grade and if so based on what evidence?
Somehow we will now probably find a way to inhibit Lomax as our next best centre option. Other than a couple of posters is there anyone who really believes Aitken should start ahead of Lomax and if Lomax is picked should he be relegated after 1 or 2 games or should we persist with him (god only knows we did with Aitken, Lafai and Rein despite seasons of under performing).
Host only through adversity finally gets a chance and he appears to be taking that chance with both hands and IMO outperformed Luc, Latimore & K Sims in the trials despite having had shoulder surgery which interestingly, people offer up as an argument against Widdop.
For the record my team based on the trials which to me should be part of the litmus test for selection.
Dufty, Masters, Lomax, Lafai, Ravalawa, Widdop, Hunt, Vaughan, Mc Innes. Lawrie, T Sims, Host, Frizzell Bench Graham, Kerr, K Sims, Norman
Re Dufty IMO he is our best FB option despite his deficiencies.
Re Norman I still don't get this signing and IMO is confusing and clouding selecting our best players in their best positions and again does little to enthuse the likes of Field. Having him also means we have to use him and in my team he plays bench but that spot should have gone to Robson.
Re Widdop IMO our best 5/8 by a fair margin and a IMO it is a complete myth about his ability to play a complete season in the NRL at FB. The argument re him leaving is not valid as many clubs know that star players have only 1 season left with them and they don't sacrifice them to the scrap bin, instead they use them to get the best result possible in the limited time left at the club.

Thanks OT. That actually provides a pretty clear view on where you are coming from. I’ll respond with where I stand:

1. I see value in signing some players for backup. We need those types of players to fill the reserve teams and provide a challenge for the young players to compete against. I don’t see the issue as being a recruitment problem, rather a selection/training problem – if the youngsters aren’t training the house down and proving they are better than the backup, then there’s an issue with their training. If they are but still aren't getting picked, then again, it's a coaching issue. Mary is the common denominator here. Continually purchasing SOO/Roo players to fill gaps seems unrealistic to me as it’s a financial issue and we do need to buy bargain players due to the cap constraints. Buying SOO/Roo players causes promising youngsters to leave anyway.
  2. Graham is a hard one. I think he’s unique in his passion – I think we have other players that have passion and leadership (Sims, McInnes etc) but Graham brings his own brand of that. I don’t think I could name another player in the league that brings that level every game (Thurston was probably the closest). Previous players who have played alongside him have nothing bad to say and praise him as someone special. You don't hear the same levels of praise about others. Playing wise I’m not convinced. Will wait and see over the first month or 2. If not playing well, no amount of passion should keep him in the team.
  3. I did completely misunderstand your winger comments – I thought you were suggesting we only needed Saab and Masters. IMO we don’t need any more wingers – we should be able to find 2 out of the 4 rookies we have plus Pereira. But like any rookie, you need to allow time for them find their feet. Don’t call for their head after one or 2 bad games.
  4. Can anyone confirm that Masters and Saab will go better than Rav and Pearson? They’re all rookies and I think the competition will be good. They shouldn’t be given a free path to the NRL just because a few fans say they’re talented or they’re saints juniors.
  5. I’m good with giving Lomax a go at centre. I would prefer to drop Aitken back and give him a good run and see how he fares – however I do know that in the past he has struggled mentally to step up. Given trial performance (and taking playing out of position for part of that) there may be demons he needs to overcome before he really hits his straps.
  6. Lafai (as you’ve pointed out in another thread) does have the skills and can play well. He’s just inconsistent. Again, a coaching issue. I’d keep him there for the time being as he can be dangerous. I think we are short a centre to challenge for the spot.
  7. I disagree that Host outperformed K Sims in the trials. I thought he did well in the trials but not enough to displace K Sims. I’d still be willing to give him a go at some stage throughout the year. It’s a toss up between him and Luc as I don’t think we can accommodate both.
  8. You’ve got 5 rookies in your team (including Lomax, Lawrie and Host who, although have played NRL, don’t have the runs on the board to consider them anything but rookies). Plus one on the bench. That’s far too many in my opinion. Like I said, the only other team to have rivalled this in recent years is Newcastle and look how long it’s taken them to come out of that hole.
  9. Dufty yes – I don’t think his deficiencies are as bad as everyone makes out.
  10. Norman – doesn’t fit into the team this year however will be valuable next year. I’m not convinced Field is ready yet – especially after only one trial. I don't think he performed well enough last year to be considered for a position in the team either.
  11. I agree with Widdop (he is the best option in the halves and has already built the combination with Hunt) – however I’m willing to give Norman a go in the halves during the year. He will obviously be filling the position permanently from next year onwards so it makes sense to have him slot in there to start that combination.

possm

Coach
Thanks OT. That actually provides a pretty clear view on where you are coming from. I’ll respond with where I stand:

1. I see value in signing some players for backup. We need those types of players to fill the reserve teams and provide a challenge for the young players to compete against. I don’t see the issue as being a recruitment problem, rather a selection/training problem – if the youngsters aren’t training the house down and proving they are better than the backup, then there’s an issue with their training. If they are but still aren't getting picked, then again, it's a coaching issue. Mary is the common denominator here. Continually purchasing SOO/Roo players to fill gaps seems unrealistic to me as it’s a financial issue and we do need to buy bargain players due to the cap constraints. Buying SOO/Roo players causes promising youngsters to leave anyway.
  2. Graham is a hard one. I think he’s unique in his passion – I think we have other players that have passion and leadership (Sims, McInnes etc) but Graham brings his own brand of that. I don’t think I could name another player in the league that brings that level every game (Thurston was probably the closest). Previous players who have played alongside him have nothing bad to say and praise him as someone special. You don't hear the same levels of praise about others. Playing wise I’m not convinced. Will wait and see over the first month or 2. If not playing well, no amount of passion should keep him in the team.
  3. I did completely misunderstand your winger comments – I thought you were suggesting we only needed Saab and Masters. IMO we don’t need any more wingers – we should be able to find 2 out of the 4 rookies we have plus Pereira. But like any rookie, you need to allow time for them find their feet. Don’t call for their head after one or 2 bad games.
  4. Can anyone confirm that Masters and Saab will go better than Rav and Pearson? They’re all rookies and I think the competition will be good. They shouldn’t be given a free path to the NRL just because a few fans say they’re talented or they’re saints juniors.
  5. I’m good with giving Lomax a go at centre. I would prefer to drop Aitken back and give him a good run and see how he fares – however I do know that in the past he has struggled mentally to step up. Given trial performance (and taking playing out of position for part of that) there may be demons he needs to overcome before he really hits his straps.
  6. Lafai (as you’ve pointed out in another thread) does have the skills and can play well. He’s just inconsistent. Again, a coaching issue. I’d keep him there for the time being as he can be dangerous. I think we are short a centre to challenge for the spot.
  7. I disagree that Host outperformed K Sims in the trials. I thought he did well in the trials but not enough to displace K Sims. I’d still be willing to give him a go at some stage throughout the year. It’s a toss up between him and Luc as I don’t think we can accommodate both.
  8. You’ve got 5 rookies in your team (including Lomax, Lawrie and Host who, although have played NRL, don’t have the runs on the board to consider them anything but rookies). Plus one on the bench. That’s far too many in my opinion. Like I said, the only other team to have rivalled this in recent years is Newcastle and look how long it’s taken them to come out of that hole.
  10. Norman – doesn’t fit into the team this year however will be valuable next year. I’m not convinced Field is ready yet – especially after only one trial. I don't think he performed well enough last year to be considered for a position in the team either.
  11. I agree with Widdop (he is the best option in the halves and has already built the combination with Hunt) – however I’m willing to give Norman a go in the halves during the year. He will obviously be filling the position permanently from next year onwards so it makes sense to have him slot in there to start that combination.
It is really too early to make decisions on all positions. It is not too early to have an opinion of players like Aitken and Dufty who have performed at first grade level in the past.

When it comes to recruitment/junior pathways/retention, in my opinion the Club should fill the first grade positions with first grade level players and then backfill with players with potential from within and outside the Club. For example we should have two first grade wingers in our top 30 backed up by say Pearson, Pereira and Ravalawa. Millward should have secured the services of two first grade wingers e.g. B Morris and G Jennings and then move on to sign Pearson and Ravalawa. We had the right mix with centres, Aitken and Lafai with Lomax and Herbert to put on pressure from ISP. Selections to be on form.

Yes it would be great to have Dufty at fullback. The only problem was he was a turnstile last season. Tackling technique which can be coached and the confidence a larger frame can give him, which can be achieved over time through gym work and diet. If Dufty has lifted to a first grade standard in this area, then of course he should be selected at fullback. On the other side of the argument, I have a feeling Widdop is not fit enough to be selected over Dufty right now. I was very disappointed to see him reluctant in defence and less than enthusiastic in attack.

Carlton

Juniors

I agree with almost everything you have said. At this stage I am not a Dufty fan and think his deficiencies are pretty significant. I believe if Widdop is going next year then we need to run Hunt and Norman together this year. I would have liked to see Widdop leave this year and for us to have purchased a fullback and a center. The trouble is this year is a sitting on the fence year at the moment. Lomax may or may not need more time, I cant decide, but he is not winger.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Carlton you are right re lomax he is not a winger.
We have two first wingers in is give them a go.
But Mary has his favourite and want change.

Latest posts