What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye Gus? Phil Gould to depart Penrith

adamkungl

Immortal
Gus has made some mistakes but the structure and foundations he has in place are solid.
His mistakes are surface level, temporary.

The new power couple at Penrith have already shown a willingness to knock out the foundations for short term gains.
Undercutting Gus to sign Cleary over Bennett just to keep a single promising young player who apparently wants to play for his old man will have long term consequences. Gus leaving is step 1.

GongPanther

Referee
"The club is still to determine the conditions of his departure but have mutually agreed his time working with the football department is over.

"We met this morning, myself, [Penrith chairman] Dave O'Neill and Gus," chief executive Brian Fletcher told NRL.com.

"We spoke about his role and asked what he thought of it going forward. He came back and said 'my job has become redundant'. He recognises that with Ivan here, the right structures are in place."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An important piece from that link if true. Gus' leaving is amicable. My guess is that he has had enough and doesn't need the Penrith job being that there isn't anything left for him to hang around. His health isn't 100%, so it's best he slows down and just calls the football.

Gus has left a positive footprint on our club in all the times he has been here. I just hope that all fans applaud the recognition he deserves.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bad Move Penrith as much as he is disliked in the universe he does know what he is doing running the football club..

Should have let him sign Bennett... The media got to the board and caused them to undermine him in signing Cleary look how well that has gone.

Football club lost over $5million last year, $4.2 million year before and still no closer to a premiership. Not sure he is doing that great a job tbh.

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
Wish him nothing but the best. Turned the club around after the debacle that was the Elliott years.
Turned it around and saved it. And one has to than James Packer. If it wasn't for his $20 million lend to the club, we would have probably been folded up, or maybe gone to Perth.

King hit

Coach
He has his critics but I feel he did a decent job at the Panthers. They were a shit storm when he took over and he improved the finances, developed juniors, had successful NYC teams and the first grade side was mostly competitive.

big hit!

Bench
"We spoke about his role and asked what he thought of it going forward. He came back and said 'my job has become redundant'.
He recognises that with Ivan here, the right structures are in place."

Yeah I'm not sure that's what he meant hey

Ha....love the penriff spin on it all

Generalzod

Immortal
Is this anything to do with that wankfest worshipping the ground the Roosters walk on, Oh my God how clever are the Roosters, FMD everyone should re-name their first born "Nick" piece he wrote last week ?
This is the some bloke that thought the Storm did nothing wrong

Canard

Immortal
Probably the biggest cancer the game has seen.

He could be a force for good, but his agenda driven bullshit has ensured that other the has had virtually no success since the 90s.

He is also the worst commentator there ever was, and responsible for more negative coverage of the game then any other living person.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Before or after tax free LC grants ?

Before, they would be well and truly fcked if it was after! Problem is LC also lost money in bailing out the FC so not all rosy by any stretch. 2017 LC lost $5.7million, 2018 they lost $5.5 million. Current liabilities exceed assets by $13million. Don't get me wrong, they have a $134mill revenue base and $200mill in assets so are not at any great risk but they aren't exactly cash positive at the moment.

The FC is spending around $35million a year, its hard to say they are getting a good return on that expenditure!

Last edited:

Latest posts