What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye Gus? Phil Gould to depart Penrith

Sphagnum

Coach
Gus getting out the way so he isn't held responsible for the appalling state of Panthers firsts.

Ivan Cleary totally f**ked that club in one off seaspn.

TheFrog

Coach
So Penrith have now sacked a coach, GM and given a coach with a 47% winning record a 5 year deal all to keep Nathan Cleary.

Wow, he better be worth it.
Hiring Ivan was probably to keep Nathan, but that would be all.. Hook was sacked because he and Gus didn't get along. Then he was overruled on the choice of coach. He's had his teeth pulled out since the Hook sacking and now he wants out. Maybe he can claim constructive dismissal. Interesting to hear what Alexander has to say tomorrow.

TheFrog

Coach
Is this anything to do with that wankfest worshipping the ground the Roosters walk on, Oh my God how clever are the Roosters, FMD everyone should re-name their first born "Nick" piece he wrote last week ?
Would not surprise me in the slightest.

darkbloom

Juniors
Turned it around and saved it. And one has to than James Packer. If it wasn't for his $20 million lend to the club, we would have probably been folded up, or maybe gone to Perth.
Pure myth. Never a chance of folding. Assets were greater than debt by a very large multiple. It was a tight spot but never a threat.

darkbloom

Juniors
He has done more for rugby league in Penrith than the NRL has done in any area. He is leaving because he believes his position is no longer required.
He doesn’t deserve the rubbish being sprouted here!

He has presided over some $40m in losses in the football club.

Crowds have not increased during his tenure, sponsorship has increased marginally, membership has increased but many memberships are given away.

On the plus side he did create better pathways, made our club more attractive to players, built the Academy. And under his leadership social media engagement has increased a fair bit.

On balance ...

I wonder whether he has recommended his own redundancy because the budgets will be tightened over the next few years and his power has diminished.

Mind you the numbnuts that are in charge have no idea about anything much.

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Sounds like he's getting the sack

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/23/phil-gould-set-to-end-time-at-helm-of-penrith-panthers/

Phil Gould's time at the Penrith Panthers is set to come to an end with the club to hold a board meeting on Wednesday.

As it stands, Gould is still employed by the Panthers.

NRL.com understands the board will move to ratify plans around Gould's departure from his post as the club's general manager of football at the meeting.

Panthers chairman Dave O'Neill declined to comment when contacted by NRL.com.

MORE TO COME

Penriff CEO Dave O'Neill, surely not the unfunny comedian, No wonder AFL is popular...........

Vic Mackey

Referee
Hiring Ivan was probably to keep Nathan, but that would be all.. Hook was sacked because he and Gus didn't get along. Then he was overruled on the choice of coach. He's had his teeth pulled out since the Hook sacking and now he wants out. Maybe he can claim constructive dismissal. Interesting to hear what Alexander has to say tomorrow.

Hook was sacked because they knew they had Ivan. Gus even confirmed this on the podcast released the night Hook was sacked. They hired Ivan to keep Nathan. So yes Hook was sacked to keep the 7.

It also appears obvious there was an agreement that Gus would be gone not long into Ivan’s stint.

The Cleary’s had all the cards, they played them and came up with a Royal Flush. Gus had a pair of 2s. Revenge was served cold for 2015.

Whether Ivan and Nathan were worth getting rid of Griffin and the God Father of Penrith only time will tell.

TheFrog

Coach
Gus even confirmed this on the podcast released the night Hook was sacked.
If you believe it. I don't. Hook was sacked because they weren't talking and Ciraldo was about to walk out because he was the go-between. The Chairman Bryan Fletcher indicated this in an interview on the day. If Hook was sacked to get Ivan it all could have waited until the end of the season.

The feud between the two of them had been going on since the Bulldogs trial when they clashed in public over Griffin's decision to not interchange his players. For most of the season they managed to exist under the same roof but around 6 weeks from the finals Hook decided he was now indispensible and didn't need to humour Gus any longer, which led to the sacking. That is my understanding of it. O"Neill had been talking to Ivan because he wanted to bring him in for 2019 but there was absolutely no reason for that to be pushed forward mid-season. Certainly Cleary did not have to start asking Wests for a release at that early stage as was suggested.

Gus could hardly go on a podcast and tell the world he'd sacked his coach a month out from the finals with the side running 4th, because two grown men on serious money could not work out a way to co-exist for a few more weeks.

Last edited:

forby

Juniors
Watching him last night I thought I was about to witness my first live death on TV.
He seems to forget how much Cronulla loses and was in debt before they sold their ‘gold mine’ to barely survive. They are just fortunate that the development went ahead when it did, as they had no other idea how to recover.

Latest posts