What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russel Packer. Did we dodge a bullet?

Pro Dragons

Juniors
The Wests Tigers dropped Russell Packer because of his poor form. I thought he was going to be a long term Dragon and was disappointed he left the Dragons after the club supported him during and after his prison sentence. It seems Millward was correct in letting him go. This opened the door to Jimmy Graham who has been fantastic for the club on and off the field.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
The Wests Tigers dropped Russell Packer because of his poor form. I thought he was going to be a long term Dragon and was disappointed he left the Dragons after the club supported him during and after his prison sentence. It seems Millward was correct in letting him go. This opened the door to Jimmy Graham who has been fantastic for the club on and off the field.

True that.
I was extremely peeved he dropped us like dog do-do.
I still remember how his form dropped from the moment he signed with the Tigers.
From a professional point of view, l thought it was really p!ss poor.

As the old saying goes ................. "What goes round, comes round."

LINESPEED

Juniors
True that.
I was extremely peeved he dropped us like dog do-do.
I still remember how his form dropped from the moment he signed with the Tigers.
From a professional point of view, l thought it was really p!ss poor.

As the old saying goes ................. "What goes round, comes round."

Only a few who leave us thrive long term elsewhere

I can think of Tallis, Bird, Cook & Ennis just off my head

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Questions are being asked whether Graham is running on old legs, and whether he can still compete at NRL level.

This doesn’t impugn his undoubted mentoring skills, but it’s still fair to ask if this year should be his swan song. Reportedly, he has told the club that he’s ready to go on in 2020, but should this be at the expense of younger men such as Kerr and Timm?

It’s not easy to answer.

As previously stated, I was in favour of retaining Packer because (obviously) he will still be young enough to play first grade well after Graham has retired. Now that his form has dimmed, people will automatically assume that Millward has made the correct call here.

Again, I don’t believe the answer is either black or white but resultant to an unexpected changeover of the Tigers’ head coaching role. Cleary definitely wanted him, what about McGuire? I’m not too sure about that.

Life's Good

Coach
I was initially disappointed we lost Packer considering we invested a lot of time with him. I look at it now & see how Vaughan is a forward leader, Graham delivering despite an obviously busted body, Lawrie coming on & we haven’t missed a beat.
Now I see Packer as a lower level version of Adam Blair(less the cheap shots).

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
We didnt want to lose Packer, he just got an offer that was too good to refuse, and we couldnt match it nor wanted to match it, he received the big spill from Cleary about getting on the bus with the Tigpies and was pretty pissed off that Cleary got off the bus at caugth the train to penriff... Since he spent time in Prison he needs all the cash he can get to set up he's family,he will be limited with what he can do after footy, he won't be appearing on NRL360 etc , he has a criminal record will make it hard to get a "normal" job in alot of places, he has turned he's life around,he came to us as a criminal, he left as a Saint, wish him the best..

Glenn012

Juniors
Packer was good for us but Graham changed the team. He is also extremely valuable off the field.

It appears Packer has fallen off hard over the last year, with a few exceptions here and there. Letting Packer and Dugan go was a great move
I'm a fan of Graham. IMO he should be (C) but last year he didn't "change the team" a great deal. Sneaked into the finals in 8th place and won one game. Just slightly better than when Benji Marshall carried us into the finals a few years ago.

This Year?

Immortal
Players are well within their rights to get as much money as they can during their limited careers without being flogs.
They are. It was so unprofessional how his form dropped immediately after signing for them and you could see in his play how he didn't give a shit, so yeah he is a flog.

We gave him a lifeline and he gave us about half a season of rubbish.

j0nesy

Bench
Packer was good for us but Graham changed the team. He is also extremely valuable off the field.

It appears Packer has fallen off hard over the last year, with a few exceptions here and there. Letting Packer and Dugan go was a great move
Agreed, I remember a couple in here slitting their wrists and calling for the head of Millward. I’d say they should be thanking Millward now.

Latest posts