What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RM Cup & Sydney Shield

imgunawin72

Juniors
Blacktown would be in my opinion better off to run a SS team as well as RMC and NSW Cup. This gives them more depth to call on when there are injuries.

Pantherman72

Juniors
They already have a SS team but the problem is it is playing in the RMC comp.
And so it will remain while they keep a coach that good players won't play for as he has no idea. It won't change as the club needs his dad's sponsorship money, which effectively pays for his sons job as the coach. The isp coach has the gig because he works at Westfields Sports High and Manly get the best kids from there now and pay for him. Neither appointment is made to get the club wins or for the players. Proven by the points table.

imgunawin72

Juniors
And so it will remain while they keep a coach that good players won't play for as he has no idea. It won't change as the club needs his dad's sponsorship money, which effectively pays for his sons job as the coach. The isp coach has the gig because he works at Westfields Sports High and Manly get the best kids from there now and pay for him. Neither appointment is made to get the club wins or for the players. Proven by the points table.
Whats so special about hills sports high?
Again too much focus on kids and junior reps like Matts n Ball and not enough on young men in their early 20’s. A lot of coaches are dumb as dog shit and think if the kid played SG ball , then they’re going to be a super star playing against men.

Pantherman72

Juniors
Again too much focus on kids and junior reps like Matts n Ball and not enough on young men in their early 20’s. A lot of coaches are dumb as dog shit and think if the kid played SG ball , then they’re going to be a super star playing against men.
Manly have very few kids playing football so they need to get from out of area to bolster their junior reps teams. Westfields Sports gives them some of the best of the west and a training base out west as well meaning kids don't have to drive to Manly for weights. The trade off is giving the ISP gig to a teacher there. Just like the trade off to having a dud Ron Massey Cup coach is the 100k sponsorship his old man tips in. It all ended sourly at Windsor with the same arrangement and eventually it will at Blacktown once they hit rock bottom, which they virtually have now.

Butts74

Juniors
Manly have very few kids playing football so they need to get from out of area to bolster their junior reps teams. Westfields Sports gives them some of the best of the west and a training base out west as well meaning kids don't have to drive to Manly for weights. The trade off is giving the ISP gig to a teacher there. Just like the trade off to having a dud Ron Massey Cup coach is the 100k sponsorship his old man tips in. It all ended sourly at Windsor with the same arrangement and eventually it will at Blacktown once they hit rock bottom, which they virtually have now.
Exactly ! He done the exact same thing at Windsor , when shit hit the fan he pulled the pin on the club !

kbw

Bench
I have been told Blacktown are seriously considering entering a SS team next year.

The relationship between Blacktown and Manly goes further than just a need to fill HM and SGB squads.
It started out as the fultons trying to create super teams for Beacon Hill and promising the kids from the west positions in the junior rep sides. Manly decided to formalise it all and hence the relationship. Well thats the short story.

Paddo Colts basically tried to do the same thing decimating teams from Balmain and North sydney in order to win competitions. They promise kids all sorts of things to create "super" teams. The difference is they are burning bridges and some of their promises are not being fulfilled

kbw

Bench

Do you know whats funny. I have heard more than one coach say, he would rather a team of players that hadn't come through a jnr rep system because alot of them have shitty attitudes. But like the also often heard comment "I would rather a team of workers than those with the big hits and flashy runs" they are just words that are not put into practise

imgunawin72

Juniors
Its surprising also that Mounties do not have a SS team this year, now that they’re not running Flegg for Canberra. Hopefully they’ll run one in 2020 .

imgunawin72

Juniors
Yep they probably do get some good kids from westfields sports, but I am not a fan of sports high schools- I know some kids that went to Hills for other sports such as cricket and AFL,not because they were outstandingly talented, but because their parents had high aspirations for them. The kids get burnt out from too much training etc and most end up giving it away. It’s a pretty average school in general. Kids should be at school to get an education, there’s plenty of time for training and sport after school.
So going to a sports high doesn’t mean that the kid is going to be a better footy player as a 20- 21 year old. Again way too much focus on kids and not enough on young men.

Pantherman72

Juniors
Yep they probably do get some good kids from westfields sports, but I am not a fan of sports high schools- I know some kids that went to Hills for other sports such as cricket and AFL,not because they were outstandingly talented, but because their parents had high aspirations for them. The kids get burnt out from too much training etc and most end up giving it away. It’s a pretty average school in general. Kids should be at school to get an education, there’s plenty of time for training and sport after school.
So going to a sports high doesn’t mean that the kid is going to be a better footy player as a 20- 21 year old. Again way too much focus on kids and not enough on young men.
All true but the clubs don't care about the ones who burn out. They want the next G.I.
Look at Manlys SG Ball team this year. Grand Finalists with plenty from Westfields. In the NRL team Moses Suli and Manaise Fainu. Kelepi Tanginoa. Lots of their ISP went to Westfields. Unfortunately it doesn't buy you wins.

Pantherman72

Juniors
I have been told Blacktown are seriously considering entering a SS team next year.

The relationship between Blacktown and Manly goes further than just a need to fill HM and SGB squads.
It started out as the fultons trying to create super teams for Beacon Hill and promising the kids from the west positions in the junior rep sides. Manly decided to formalise it all and hence the relationship. Well thats the short story.

Paddo Colts basically tried to do the same thing decimating teams from Balmain and North sydney in order to win competitions. They promise kids all sorts of things to create "super" teams. The difference is they are burning bridges and some of their promises are not being fulfilled

The relationship between Blacktown and Manly has nothing to do with stacking Beacon Hill or the Junior reps. That is all to do with Westfields Sports and Manly. None of those kids are from Blacktown.

The Manly Blacktown arrangement is about money. Run an isp team yourself and it costs plenty. Let someone else run it and you save that money.

Last edited:

imgunawin72

Juniors
All true but the clubs don't care about the ones who burn out. They want the next G.I.
Look at Manlys SG Ball team this year. Grand Finalists with plenty from Westfields. In the NRL team Moses Suli and Manaise Fainu. Kelepi Tanginoa. Lots of their ISP went to Westfields. Unfortunately it doesn't buy you wins.
Yes good points. I guess if its purely results driven then their approach is not working. It seems these knuckleheads have learnt nothing from the failed NYC. Most but not all of these young players don’t develop fully until 22-24, so then why waste time n money concentrating on 18 year old kids?

Last edited:

kbw

Bench
The relationship between Blacktown and Manly has nothing to do with stacking Beacon Hill or the Junior reps. That is all to do with Westfields Sports and Manly. None of those kids are from Blacktown.

The Manly Blacktown arrangement is about money. Run an isp team yourself and it costs plenty. Let someone else run it and you save that money.

I was under the opinion that is how is all started.
But regardless I do support districts like Manly and the Roosters recruiting kids from larger districts into their HM and Ball teams. That way kids that are good enough are not missing out just because they play in a district with 100s in their age group. But it does need to go hand in hand with those small districts putting in effort to develop some of the local kids

imgunawin72

Juniors
I was under the opinion that is how is all started.
But regardless I do support districts like Manly and the Roosters recruiting kids from larger districts into their HM and Ball teams. That way kids that are good enough are not missing out just because they play in a district with 100s in their age group. But it does need to go hand in hand with those small districts putting in effort to develop some of the local kids
yep its good that kids from areas such as Penrith n parramatta etc get an opportunity to play junior reps in other areas. What I find annoying is NRL recruitment officers such as the one at Penrith recruiting from out of area when they already have a massive pool of kids to pick from, I believe they do this to justify their own jobs.

kbw

Bench
yep its good that kids from areas such as Penrith n parramatta etc get an opportunity to play junior reps in other areas. What I find annoying is NRL recruitment officers such as the one at Penrith recruiting from out of area when they already have a massive pool of kids to pick from, I believe they do this to justify their own jobs.

Arent they doing a great job too, Penrith have gone of a powerhouse of jnr reps to not even making the semis in Ball

imgunawin72

Juniors
Arent they doing a great job too, Penrith have gone of a powerhouse of jnr reps to not even making the semis in Ball
Ha ha yep my point exactly. Jim jones should have left with gus gould. He likes recruiting kiwis n kids from the bush and at the same time ignore the massive pool of kids in the Penrith juniors. Like i said i reckon he is just making a job for himself

Last edited:

rightleftin

Juniors
Curtis Johnston has scored tries in 6 of the 7 games he has played this season:

Rd 1 RMC 1 try vs St Marys
Rd 2 RMC 1 try vs Wests
Rd 3 NSW Cup 1 try vs Wenty
Rd 4 NSW Cup 1 try vs Bulldogs
Rd 5 SS 1 try vs Belrose
Rd 6 RMC did not score vs Mounties
Rd 7 did not play
Rd 8 SS 1 try vs Brothers

rightleftin

Juniors
Half time at Matitland, Newcastle Rebels leading RMC 18-10. In a fast paced game RMC looked on top for a significant portion of the half, leading 10-4 at one stage, but nearly every time Newcastle got an opportunity they converted into points. Rebels hooker, Alex Langbridge is having a great game.