What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post game discussion v panthers

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
This is probably because if we tried to be a squeaky wheel we would be labelled whinging loosers, whereas because the Storm, Rooster, Bunnies, etc. are 'expected' to win, when their coach has a whinge, or they challenge something at the MRC, they are looked at in a different light.
Very true.

It was also a statement made with zero understanding of what happens behind the scenes with respect to our interactions with NRL administration and officials.

It was also another example of where someone is watching a press conference and failing to understand its role and function.

Gazzamatta

Coach
This is probably because if we tried to be a squeaky wheel we would be labelled whinging loosers, whereas because the Storm, Rooster, Bunnies, etc. are 'expected' to win, when their coach has a whinge, or they challenge something at the MRC, they are looked at in a different light.
Dosent make it right. Everyone has to start somewhere.

emjaycee

Coach
Dosent make it right. Everyone has to start somewhere.
Yep, I agree however I think it actually starts in a few places.

With regard to complaints about referees, from what I understand we do have regular meetings between our coaching staff and HoF and the NRL to discuss refereeing performance in our games, especially when we do not believe it was totally balanced. This is of course less public than the coach blowing up in a post-game presser when he hasn't had a chance to see replays and assess what actually occurred and as it happens behind closed doors (from the fans perspective) it obviously doesn't happen.

MRC challenges are a different beast - we have limited quality in our playing roster to risk losing a player to suspension based on an increased penalty for challenging so I can understand why we may just decide to take the lesser penalty and get it over with. For example if we had challenged the Moses citing from the Cows game and lost, he would have missed the Panthers game (he probably wishes now he did) but from the Club's perspective, could we really afford to be without our #1 halfback - I think not.
Having said that, I would have definitely challenged the ruling against Mennings from Round 1 at Penrith - the player was already falling when Mennings made contact which was the only reason he hit him high. I would have brought in an expert professor in motion, impact, whatever, to show that Mennings had no chance of not hitting him near the head, based on whatever the science proved. I guess it becomes a risk/return based decision on a case by case basis.

Of course, as per my original point, if WE as a club were more successful and our players were more successful individually, then I have no doubt we would see less "on reports" or post-match citings. I am waiting with bated breath to see if JWH gets cited for last nights blatant hit on Ponga.

Last edited:

Gazzamatta

Coach
Yep, I agree however I think it actually starts in a few places.

With regard to complaints about referees, from what I understand we do have regular meetings between our coaching staff and HoF and the NRL to discuss refereeing performance in our games, especially when we do not believe it was totally balanced. This is of course less public than the coach blowing up in a post-game presser when he hasn't had a chance to see replays and assess what actually occurred and as it happens behind closed doors (from the fans perspective) it obviously doesn't happen.

MRC challenges are a different beast - we have limited quality in our playing roster to risk losing a player to suspension based on an increased penalty for challenging so I can understand why we may just decide to take the lesser penalty and get it over with. For example if we had challenged the Moses citing from the Cows game and lost, he would have missed the Panthers game (he probably wishes now he did) but from the Club's perspective, could we really afford to be without our #1 halfback - I think not.
Having said that, I would have definitely challenged the ruling against Mennings from Round 1 at Penrith - the player was already falling when Mennings made contact which was the only reason he hit him high. I would have brought in an expert professor in motion, impact, whatever, to show that Mennings had no chance of not hitting him near the head, based on whatever the science proved. I guess it becomes a risk/return based decision on a case by case basis.

Of course, as per my original point, if WE as a club were more successful and our players were more successful individually, then I have no doubt we would see less "on reports" or post-match citings. I am waiting with bated breath to see if JWH gets cited for last nights blatant hit on Ponga.
Cant disagree with most of that but with respect doing things the right way has gotten us nowhere. Sometimes officials need to be embarassed. I could say similar applies to some players at times. Even a statement from the club that we have raised certain issues etc. We hear nothing therefore the perception is we do nothing. Perenara and Atkins have been and continue to serve up utter garbage to our club. It very much looks like doing things through the right channels hasnt helped much.
"Fate is what befalls a man who fails to act. "

emjaycee

Coach
Cant disagree with most of that but with respect doing things the right way has gotten us nowhere. Sometimes officials need to be embarassed. I could say similar applies to some players at times. Even a statement from the club that we have raised certain issues etc. We hear nothing therefore the perception is we do nothing. Perenara and Atkins have been and continue to serve up utter garbage to our club. It very much looks like doing things through the right channels hasnt helped much.
"Fate is what befalls a man who fails to act. "
Mate i have offered Bernie a $5k contribution to BA's fine on at least 2 occasions after Perenara has reffed us.

Eelogical

Referee
Not much talk about the playing surface at Bankwest after thursdays game. I heard 'dew' and 'slippery' several times during the broadcast and we all saw Moses almost slipping over kicking for goal, once. Is this going to be be an ongoing issue with night games and how cold was it at parra on thursday night?

Latest posts