What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 vs Sharks

getsmarty

Immortal
Old teammates? Josh Morris left SGI in 2008 and subsequently joined Canterbury.

That’s right, 11 years ago.

Any ties he may have had with the club were extinguished a very long time ago.

Dragons Junior...once a Dragon..always a Dragon...Greatest club in the NRL....sadly a shadow of its former self.

Crush

Coach
I'm hoping for a nice surprise from Lomax and Field today. I also belive that Pearson will prove to be the right winger we are looking for. Robson may just create the change in direction we need when he comes into hooker (I hope the last 10mins of each half).
I'd say Field or Lomax will make way for Norman when he comes back, which one may be decided today.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Dragons should be desperate today. There shouldn't be any arm grabbing in tackles.
Ben Hunt needs to stand up. No more mistakes. No more 7 tackle sets from him.
Our spine is all of a sudden very fragile with Field and Lomax in it so we need Hunt to take control.
I'm predicting Dragons play very well today and get a win.
Go Dragons.

Hunt also needs his five-eighth to alleviate some of the pressure off his shoulders. In short, he can’t do it all by himself in the same way Widdop was expected to do so between 2014-17.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Dragons Junior...once a Dragon..always a Dragon...Greatest club in the NRL....sadly a shadow of its former self.

JMoz was literally around for five minutes only....hardly an endorsement of being “always a Dragon@. I bet if you asked him, he couldn’t give two shits about the club and is more concerned about Canterbury’s future. Mind you, a lot of that comes down to...you guessed it...a poor retention decision.

Crush

Coach
Hunt also needs his five-eighth to alleviate some of the pressure off his shoulders. In short, he can’t do it all by himself in the same way Widdop was expected to do so between 2014-17.
Hunt needs to do his job and be the play maker. Field just needs to run IMO at this stage.
Hunt needs to do what Pearce is doing with your beloved Knights.

TruSaint

Referee
Hunt needs to do his job and be the play maker. Field just needs to run IMO at this stage.

@Crush , mate I agree however you must admit that our last play options have become so pedestrian and predictable. Opposition teams know, its either a bomb or kick for field position, from one player , Hunt.

Bombing constantly has delivered little, and Benny's kicks in play have led to too many 7 tackle sets. We need some variation, on either an earlier tackle, or last tackle options as all the Sharks have to do is focus on Hunt...

blacksafake

First Grade
There is an article online today titled NRL PLAYERS POLL where the players rate there top players in all positions.
Vaughan is nowhere to be seen. The players don't rate him as top 3 so why would Origin selectors?
On Origin though, as much as every year I feel it derails us because we are generally going well beforehand and players come back worse off maybe this year it will work in our favor?
We have nothing to lose.
If Hunt gets selected and plays well he may find some self-belief and stop sucking so much. How many 7 tackle sets has he given away this year?
Those same players also rated Gutherson ahead of Tommy T as a fullback :joy::joy::joy:
And Kearney ahead of McGuire & Hasler as a coach so I wouldn’t take their words for it.
Also I’d say Cook is better than Smith too.

blacksafake

First Grade
@Crush , mate I agree however you must admit that our last play options have become so pedestrian and predictable. Opposition teams know, its either a bomb or kick for field position, from one player , Hunt.

Bombing constantly has delivered little, and Benny's kicks in play have led to too many 7 tackle sets. We need some variation, on either an earlier tackle, or last tackle options as all the Sharks have to do is focus on Hunt...
Exactly
Poor bloody Hunt gets no help whatsoever from the rest of the spine when it comes to kicking.This also makes it hard for him to at times have a crack on his own on the 5th tackle in case he gets tackled & no one else is able to kick on the last.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

LOL @ “beloved”.

I made a judgement at the beginning of the year that Newcastle will easily qualify for the top eight. Despite a slow (and very unlucky) start, it looks as though I’m on the money.

It’s not my fault you’re a deeply shithouse observer.

Apropos Field: not only does he have to run more frequently...nice pick up, coach...he also needs to develop a kicking game which all five-eighths should possess. At this stage of his nascent career, it’s an area that requires urgent attention because McInnes doesn’t do nearly enough from dummy half.

Crush

Coach
Exactly
Poor bloody Hunt gets no help whatsoever from the rest of the spine when it comes to kicking.This also makes it hard for him to at times have a crack on his own on the 5th tackle in case he gets tackled & no one else is able to kick on the last.
Yeah its not ideal but until Norman comes back its the way it is.
I'm not expecting Hunt to be Adam Reynolds but I do expect him to get repeat sets most times and stop with the 7 tackle sets.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

As indicated above.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Exactly

This.

Crush

Coach
LOL @ “beloved”.

I made a judgement at the beginning of the year that Newcastle will easily qualify for the top eight. Despite a slow (and very unlucky) start, it looks as though I’m on the money.

It’s not my fault you’re a deeply shithouse observer.

Apropos Field: not only does he have to run more frequently...nice pick up, coach...he also needs to develop a kicking game which all five-eighths should possess. At this stage of his nascent career, it’s an area that requires urgent attention because McInnes doesn’t do nearly enough from dummy half.
Sorry mate you lost me at Apropos....

getsmarty

Immortal
JMoz was literally around for five minutes only....hardly an endorsement of being “always a Dragon@. I bet if you asked him, he couldn’t give two shits about the club and is more concerned about Canterbury’s future. Mind you, a lot of that comes down to...you guessed it...a poor retention decision.

Agree Jimmy..my response was meant to be tongue in cheek.....