What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW 2019

Danish

Referee
IMO if Reynolds played out the game, or came back on in the 2nd half, I reckon he makes the squad. But the fact he was in his tracksuit and iced up within about 10 mins of leaving the field probably put a pen straight through his name.

Yeah Souths say he is fine, but then again exiting a game in the first half with what turned out to just be a cork is not exactly origin material.

BranVan3000

Coach
IMO if Reynolds played out the game, or came back on in the 2nd half, I reckon he makes the squad. But the fact he was in his tracksuit and iced up within about 10 mins of leaving the field probably put a pen straight through his name.

Yeah Souths say he is fine, but then again exiting a game in the first half with what turned out to just be a cork is not exactly origin material.

I get the logic but I doubt he is the only player coming into camp with niggles. But there is a risk in naming him and then he doesn’t recover in time

But he also already has established combinations with a chunk of the squad including Crichton who played his best footy so far next to Reynolds.

Considering Frizzel will likely miss some training with concussion protocols and is still there it seems like an excuse to keep Cleary in the team

Danish

Referee
I get the logic but I doubt he is the only player coming into camp with niggles. But there is a risk in naming him and then he doesn’t recover in time

But he also already has established combinations with a chunk of the squad including Crichton who played his best footy so far next to Reynolds.

Considering Frizzel will likely miss some training with concussion protocols and is still there it seems like an excuse to keep Cleary in the team

I’m not saying it’s right, just think it probably came into consideration.

Personally I think Freddy put far too much emphasis on not hurting Cleary’s feelings instead of actually picking the best team. Reynolds should have been picked and given a chance to prove his fitness, with Cleary on stand by

Dave's mate

Juniors
Lol you merkins are so salty. We finally have a young half who's already won a series and you want to throw him away. Would have been peak NSW/10.
Also Reynolds is always 1 tackle away from yet another injury. No way you take that liability into origin carrying something.

Scotty03

Juniors
No idea why people are crying about Cleary - he's the incumbent winning no7
Top 2-3 goal kickers in the league
Very good defender (way better than reynolds), and anyone that knows origin will know defence wins you the series
Plays for the team and not himself

WTF is with Crighton getting the nod? Wow.

Wighton is the biggest myth in the NRL.

BranVan3000

Coach
Very good defender (way better than reynolds), and anyone that knows origin will know defence wins you the series

In what way is Cleary a better defender than Reynolds?

big hit!

Bench
I'm not disappointed about the Cleary selection. With Keary concussion and Reynolds most likely to miss several sessions and this week's club game if he was available, you've got to give the incumbent the benefit. He's ready to go and you can't have blokes (particularly in the spine) new to the squad spending half the 10 days standing on the sidelines not getting reps with the team. That shit hurt DCE a couple of years back as well as Hunt last year. I thought Cleary played well vs Parra, put himself in positions to make a difference, and the win will give him some confidence.

Many are surprised with the Morris selection, only because we all think Fittler was keen on ushering a new generation of players rather than going back to old. Morris never let NSW down and is tarnished more with being associated with losing NSW campaigns, but I think Fittler is looking at him as a temporary fill-in until Turbo is fit again possibly for Game 2 rather than blooding and then demoting someone like Ramien after Game 1.

Frizell you have to wonder if he'll be replaced after today's medical. It could mean Crichton gets promoted to the starting XIII on the right side with Cleary - Morris - Cotric, and another middle/edge getting a call up onto the bench.

Danish

Referee

Thats why QLD were so dominant for a decade. Because of how good Inglis, Slater, Thurston, Cronk, and Smith DEFEND...

Scotty03

Juniors
Thats why QLD were so dominant for a decade. Because of how good Inglis, Slater, Thurston, Cronk, and Smith DEFEND...

I understand your trying to be a smart a** however this statement is actually true.
Most games in the last dozen series have been decided on close margins.

Those guys you mentioned have been coming up with those try saving tackles or plays year on year, where NSW haven't.

Scotty03

Juniors
In what way is Cleary a better defender than Reynolds?

Cleary puts his body on the line and consistently puts himself in the frame for clean-up. Reynolds does not, simple.

Not suggesting Cleary is anymore skillful, I just think he has more heart (yes it's an observation, but that's just how I see it.)

The truth is, NSW haven't had a dominate half since A Johns - QLD have always produced more talented halves. But for the guys who can play the position for us this year and ongoing, Cleary is obviously the best choice.

Springs09

Juniors
f**k off Cleary is the best choice

Been shithouse all year. Doesn't have the runs on the board to justify picking him, unlike say Thurston when the Cowboys weren't going great. Would seriously rather Pearce than Cleary. I think Pearce has had enough chances but take Cleary out of last year's team and put in Pearce and I doubt the results change. Reynolds should be the number 1 pick for halfback though.

As an Eels fan if Gutherson and Ferguson had kept their form up from the start of the year they deserved to be there but they've been rubbish the last month. Morris and Cotric are probably the best picks.

Murray absolutely deserves to be there. Haas as well though I was skeptical originally his numbers can't be ignored. Crichton is a good enough player to hold his spot. Wighton no way.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Cook will make both halves look good. It is what he does.

Cameron did it for ten years thank f**k he retired, replaced by a half back.

Qld never easy but really confident.

myrrh ken

First Grade

he's there for insurance and probably won't see a lot of game time.

He's playing with a lot of confidence this year. He was a pretty ordinary fb in days past, but sticky has found his second best position.

Happy for you to name a better utility

BadnMean

Juniors
he's there for insurance and probably won't see a lot of game time.

He's playing with a lot of confidence this year. He was a pretty ordinary fb in days past, but sticky has found his second best position.

Happy for you to name a better utility

He was statistically a top drawer (top 5) FB & still very much on an upward curve last year before he ruined it by going mental on the drink.

Now he's a top 5 5/8 in terms of kicking, run meters, tries scored & he hits like a truck in defense. Not bad going and again, he's improving every week. That's not good enough on half a season to be selected as NSWE half, but he wasn't selected as a half...

Was a good centre & winger too & is physical enough for back row in a pinch.

Was top 10 fastest in the GPS tracking on NRL fastest players too.

Not a bad utility or guy to bring on if you need to make something happen imo because he can change a game with a hit or an attacking play or speed + provide good, experienced coverage in literally every backline position.

Latest posts