What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW 2019

shear_joy9

Coach
[QUOTE="Scotty03, post: 13587585, member: 42494]
Wighton is the biggest myth in the NRL.[/QUOTE]

You must have missed all the games he's played...

Been on fire this season.

yobbo84

First Grade
Stoked for Cam Murray. He'll captain Australia one day. Absolute superstar. Hopefully he starts at lock, with Jake T coming off the bench.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Wighton has been a big reason the Raiders are where they are. I would have played him at center but he’s a good option off the bench too

typicalfan

Coach
Thats why QLD were so dominant for a decade. Because of how good Inglis, Slater, Thurston, Cronk, and Smith DEFEND...
All those players were/are exceptional defenders except Thurston who will likely be an immortal due to his attacking play.

typicalfan

Coach
f**k off Cleary is the best choice

Been shithouse all year. Doesn't have the runs on the board to justify picking him, unlike say Thurston when the Cowboys weren't going great. Would seriously rather Pearce than Cleary. I think Pearce has had enough chances but take Cleary out of last year's team and put in Pearce and I doubt the results change. Reynolds should be the number 1 pick for halfback though.

As an Eels fan if Gutherson and Ferguson had kept their form up from the start of the year they deserved to be there but they've been rubbish the last month. Morris and Cotric are probably the best picks.

Murray absolutely deserves to be there. Haas as well though I was skeptical originally his numbers can't be ignored. Crichton is a good enough player to hold his spot. Wighton no way.
Fergo showed his hand that he is still all about Fergo with his showing last Thursday. Gutherson is an ok player but I'd take Wighton in a heart beat. Better defender and harder to tackle.

typicalfan

Coach
I never said he was bad. The stats don’t really back him up as being better than Reynolds though and Cleary has had some poor efforts this year
Cleary made a massive try saving tackle on Inglis that I believe Reynolds would be unable to make. Not sure what the stats say.

BranVan3000

Coach
The weird double standards is what really annoys me about Cleary. I’ve never heard of the excuses being made for a half like I have for Cleary at Origin level.

Maloney was the one to step up last year. He won the series as much as Cook and Tedesco. If they want to talk loyalty and ability to step up to the occasion then Maloney is the one who deserves that faith

Shit the Cleary gameplay last year seemed like he got kudos for staying out of Maloney’s way, not overplaying his hand as long as he didn’t miss tackles. Will we expect Walker to run the whole show here like Maloney? Because I’ll tell you now that isn’t Walkers strength

Dave's mate

Juniors
Stoked for Cam Murray. He'll captain Australia one day. Absolute superstar. Hopefully he starts at lock, with Jake T coming off the bench.
Looks a very good player but any situation where Jake isn't starting and playing huge mintues makes us weaker

BranVan3000

Coach
Cleary made a massive try saving tackle on Inglis that I believe Reynolds would be unable to make. Not sure what the stats say.
I’d of course back Cleary in a one on one just based on his size. But Reynolds runs a very tight ship in defence, you’ll rarely find a big misread or a yawning gap on his side of the field. He reads numbers and directs the guys around him as good as any half. And he’ll always put his body on the line

Their missed tackle stats are both around 14% career to date

big hit!

Bench

Mate, I'm a Souths man too, but take off the one-eyed glasses. Cam Murray is exceptional, but Jake T is arguably the best forward in NSW - he should start and play big mins. Murray will get his op from about 50 mins. He's just a kid, his time to rule will come.

BranVan3000

Coach
Mate, I'm a Souths man too, but take off the one-eyed glasses. Cam Murray is exceptional, but Jake T is arguably the best forward in NSW - he should start and play big mins. Murray will get his op from about 50 mins. He's just a kid, his time to rule will come.
I’d say don’t underestimate Murray because he is young. They are playing the same position but have had similar stats. Like for like in avg meters made and tackle efficiency. Trbojevic has more tackles made and more minutes played whereas Murray has more tackle breaks, offloads and tries scored

Murray hasn’t been picked for future potential, he got picked because he is killing it onfield right now

Either way we are spoiled for choice at lock in the years to come with these two

BranVan3000

Coach
Fittler on NRL 360 (rough summary)

“Why did you pick Cleary despite his form and Penrith going so poorly?”

Fittler: “because he was there last year and played well”

“Why didn’t you choose Maloney”

Fittler: “Because Penrith are going so poorly”

Fittler:
36f.gif

Lambretta

First Grade
The weird double standards is what really annoys me about Cleary. I’ve never heard of the excuses being made for a half like I have for Cleary at Origin level.

Maloney was the one to step up last year. He won the series as much as Cook and Tedesco. If they want to talk loyalty and ability to step up to the occasion then Maloney is the one who deserves that faith

Shit the Cleary gameplay last year seemed like he got kudos for staying out of Maloney’s way, not overplaying his hand as long as he didn’t miss tackles. Will we expect Walker to run the whole show here like Maloney? Because I’ll tell you now that isn’t Walkers strength

This ^^^^ 1,000%

NSW need a dominant half with an excellent long kicking game. Typically NSW to pick players not suited to the game being played.

For years they picked Mitchell Pearce when they needed a half with a dominant long kicking game. Mitch doesn't have one. Reynolds does. For years they ignored their best option for Origin

Now they need an organiser with a long kicking game and Walker can chime in when needed

To my thinking, that's Reynolds. Cleary at this stage is the supporting half. So now we have two supporting halves and no dominant one

Back to hoping our forwards will carry us upfield and Queensland won't be given field position though penalties and repeat sets

Springs09

Juniors

I'd say Murray will come on 25-30 minutes and then Jake T will go into the prop rotation.
It's just a waste of a bench spot if Murray doesn't come on till late, as Wighton is unlikely to come on until 10-20 minutes to go unless there is an injury.

yobbo84

First Grade
Jake T on the bench is a better balance IMO. A bench with Wighton, Murray and Crichton doesn't offer much relief in the middle. Either way when Murray is on the field he'll be playing the link man with Jake more a straight out middle forward.

BranVan3000

Coach
This ^^^^ 1,000%

NSW need a dominant half with an excellent long kicking game. Typically NSW to pick players not suited to the game being played.

For years they picked Mitchell Pearce when they needed a half with a dominant long kicking game. Mitch doesn't have one. Reynolds does. For years they ignored their best option for Origin

Now they need an organiser with a long kicking game and Walker can chime in when needed

To my thinking, that's Reynolds. Cleary at this stage is the supporting half. So now we have two supporting halves and no dominant one

Back to hoping our forwards will carry us upfield and Queensland won't be given field position though penalties and repeat sets
We’ve won 2014 and 2018 in recent years. What was consistent in those years? In form club combinations in the halves and having a game managing half

15,16,17 was all over the place. Players who never played together before.

If you have the opportunity to use two in sync halves you really should take advantage of it

At least the hooker and five eighth will know each others games

Vic Mackey

Referee
the halves pretty much just got out of the way last year. it was all cook, teddy, latrell and to a lesser extent tom turbo. this year theyve added walker to someone who might do something and just hope nathan stays out of the way again

King hit

Coach
the halves pretty much just got out of the way last year. it was all cook, teddy, latrell and to a lesser extent tom turbo. this year theyve added walker to someone who might do something and just hope nathan stays out of the way again

Maloney was quite influential in last years series