What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russel Packer. Did we dodge a bullet?

epDragon62

First Grade
Rubbish.

I’m saying that 19 years of age is more than old enough to know right from wrong.

I did a lot of stupid stuff at 19, as I’m sure you did too..

But I knew that hitting a woman was not on.. Even in spite of my family background..

We have justice system for a reason.. And it shouldn’t be swayed simply because a bloke can handle a Steeden..

And whilst I’m happy to hear you were able to profit from the justice system, you should also be aware that for each person you profited from rehabilitating, there was at least one victim they had impacted..

In many cases there were more than one person impacted..

Not to mention of course the other times that a criminal wasn’t rehabilitated..
Hey Muz,

Just reading this thread and not really picking a side I feel it appropriate to make this one point. Rehab isn’t going to be 100%, however, the above post implies up don’t believe it should be attempted. I would disagree and I applaud those that try.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Hey Muz,

Just reading this thread and not really picking a side I feel it appropriate to make this one point. Rehab isn’t going to be 100%, however, the above post implies up don’t believe it should be attempted. I would disagree and I applaud those that try.
Indeed, we do reward those that can be rehabilitated..

Packer is a case in point.

Old Timer

Coach
Rubbish.

I’m saying that 19 years of age is more than old enough to know right from wrong.

I did a lot of stupid stuff at 19, as I’m sure you did too..

But I knew that hitting a woman was not on.. Even in spite of my family background..

We have justice system for a reason.. And it shouldn’t be swayed simply because a bloke can handle a Steeden..

And whilst I’m happy to hear you were able to profit from the justice system, you should also be aware that for each person you profited from rehabilitating, there was at least one victim they had impacted..

In many cases there were more than one person impacted..

Not to mention of course the other times that a criminal wasn’t rehabilitated..
You are thrashing around like a gold fish on the kitchen floor so just admit you are accusing people of ridiculous things.
I never said he didn’t know right from wrong.
I never said he was innocent.
All I said was we could have helped with his rehabilitation and suggested that due to his youth and background that would have been a good thing to do.
Please advise exactly what benefits his pregnant partner actually get from our actions?
You on the other hand openly condemn AFB and see no reason for him to be given a chance.
Dennis merely asked the question if we rehabilitate others from outside why not one of our own?
You confuse the issue by contending football ability is the key consideration for people which is a pious position on your part.
Just accept Dennis’ post for the reasons he contends and stop making malicious accusations against him and me.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
You are thrashing around like a gold fish on the kitchen floor so just admit you are accusing people of ridiculous things.
All I said was we could have helped with his rehabilitation and suggested that due to his youth and background that would have been a good thing to do.
Please advise exactly what benefits his pregnant partner actually get from our actions?
You on the other hand openly condemn AFB and see no reason for him to be given a chance.
Dennis merely asked the question if we rehabilitate others from outside why not one of our own?
You confuse the issue by contending football ability is the key consideration for people which is a pious position on your part.
Just accept Dennis’ post for the reasons he contends and stop making malicious accusations against him and me.

OT, your better off ignoring this poster ................. he just likes throwing mud, hoping some sticks.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
And I never said that you did not.. Please feel free to highlight where I did..

I’ll wait..

Considering it took a sacking and a near jail term to stop his destructive behaviour (as he himself admitted in that article posted a few pages back) we provided a consequence to his actions.

And rehabilitation cannot start until after consequence.. Surely with your claimed background you should be well aware of this..

So his partner now has a reformed father to her kids..

Let me give you a name.

Dane Nielsen.

Why are we not lamenting his departure?

Again, I’ll wait.

Lol.. Malicious accusations.. I’m sure your lawyers are busily scrambling to me their letters..

Yet again, I’ll wait..

Walpole

Juniors
It's pretty sad that people now wish we'd kept AFB under the guise of "rehabilitation". Sacking him was the right thing to do. No matter how upset you are that your footy team isn't winning, I would have thought Dragons fans were a bit better at seeing right from wrong.

Playing in the NRL on huge money (more than most of us make) should be a privilege. Everyone is entitled to a second chance, but anyone guilty of a serious crime (particularly against women) can use their second chance in real life. The motivation to stop being a neanderthal shouldn't be that you will miss out on a big money contract, it should be that you actually want to change. The NRL errs in letting any of these blokes back in, but they're no doubt buoyed by the support they get from the fans.

A far better story would have been Packer going back to uni to get a degree while working as a brickie.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It's pretty sad that people now wish we'd kept AFB under the guise of "rehabilitation". Sacking him was the right thing to do. No matter how upset you are that your footy team isn't winning, I would have thought Dragons fans were a bit better at seeing right from wrong.

Playing in the NRL on huge money (more than most of us make) should be a privilege. Everyone is entitled to a second chance, but anyone guilty of a serious crime (particularly against women) can use their second chance in real life. The motivation to stop being a neanderthal shouldn't be that you will miss out on a big money contract, it should be that you actually want to change. The NRL errs in letting any of these blokes back in, but they're no doubt buoyed by the support they get from the fans.

A far better story would have been Packer going back to uni to get a degree while working as a brickie.
Very well put, sir..

Wish I could like it twice..

Totally ridiculous parallel.
19 year old was his first offence.
Why not stand by him?
Why not try and help him?
Why was it the right decision to fire him?
Dugan had 18 indiscretions recorded against him before Canberra finally sacked him.
Then he transgressed even before the ink dried on his contract with Brisbane.
That did not deter us from signing him on big money. Desperation in my view.
He even transgressed when he played with us.
AFB has gone on to develop into a great prop forward.
I think he has done amazingly well at Manly and good luck to him.
My point is if we had used the same pastoral philosophy with this guy as we did with Dugan and Packer, we would be laughing today.
Remember he was also captain of the CC's and a home grown talent.
All that has absolutely nothing to do with our current malaise.
The guy has been playing the house down at Manly for the last 3 seasons.
As for your Dane Nielsen comment.
Where is the comparison?
A washed up 30 odd year old veteran versus an up and coming prospect from our junior ranks?
We shouldn't even have signed him.
Try and understand the issue and don't get sucked into Muzby's grandstanding.

Walpole

Juniors
Why not stand by him?
Dugan had 18 indiscretions recorded against him before Canberra finally sacked him.
My point is if we had used the same pastoral philosophy with this guy as we did with Dugan and Packer, we would be laughing today.
Where is the comparison?
A washed up 30 odd year old veteran versus an up and coming prospect from our junior ranks?
I take it from your last line this might be aimed at me. If so, and if you think I can't form my own opinions outside of what Muzby says, and if you honestly think I can't "understand the issue", then there's not much for us to discuss.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Why not stand by him?
Where is the comparison?
So.. just to be clear you are stating that 1 domestic violence conviction is better than multiple missing training or drinking sessions? Yes?

For Dane Nielsen, let me spell it out for you - he was also a dragons player (so one of ours) who was charged with assaulting a woman..

He suffered the same fate as AFB (and it was around the same time)..

Pretty sure it was his first charge too..

Why aren’t you advocating that we should have stood by him too?

possm

Coach

I don't agree. I'd say it is about time that we let legal entities look after legal punishment and SGI look after ensuring we have a quality roster. Sacking AFB was an extreme measure, more extreme than what the legal system dished out. We could have punished him in a number of ways; sacking him should have been the last resort.

SGI spent a lot of money and time developing AFB where as Manly did nothing towards his development. Manly are reaping the rewards that really should belong to SGI.

He made a mistake, went to court and was punished by the courts. We only needed to send a message that this type of behaviour is not the go at our club and then give him two choices:
1. One month suspension and a 10k fine which the club will give to his wife/girlfriend. or
2. Termination of contract.

Old Timer

Coach
So.. just to be clear you are stating that 1 domestic violence conviction is better than multiple missing training or drinking sessions? Yes?

For Dane Nielsen, let me spell it out for you - he was also a dragons player (so one of ours) who was charged with assaulting a woman..

He suffered the same fate as AFB (and it was around the same time)..

Pretty sure it was his first charge too..

Why aren’t you advocating that we should have stood by him too?
Muzby
Nobody is stating that one charge is greater or less than another charge people are simply talking about rehabilitation within the NRL system. You keep trying to make that link without looking at the significant fact that regardless of the actions the players remain within the NRL system.
So let's go through a few points
Nielsen came to the club after we through him a lifeline. He had already been at the centre of issues at Souths turning up to training drunk etc so he had form of bad behaviour and it was clearly stated that his behaviour at Cronulla breached his contract. So Nielsen had form of poor / bad behaviour prior to coming to our club. His contract was written is such a way as to not condone any further breaches so not surprising that he was sacked as you have to ask how many chances can he be afforded and he ignored the warning in his contract.
It should be noted that Nielsen, AFB, Garvey, Jorge Tafua (Manly) all had incidents around the same time and the NRL were trying to hang tough due to bad publicity. Not sure when the Packer assault happened?
Garvey was stood down and reinstated to the club after receiving 300 hours of community service for his assault charge. If you know anything about the law, 300 hours of community work is about the absolute limit before custodial sentences. So the club afforded him the opportunity to rehabilitate.
Packer again had form of bad behaviour let alone his custodial sentence before coming to the club. The club fought a long and costly battle in an effort to get his contract registered and in the meanwhile he played ISP. To his great credit CP's behaviour was exemplary in his time at the club.
Dugan had several issues prior coming to the club and of course had some other minor issues during his time and was allowed to leave of his own volition.
AFB to the best of my knowledge had no priors and after pleading guilty was given a suspended sentence and a $1,000 fine and dismissed from the club. Not afforded any opportunity to remain within the clubs system.
It would appear to some that AFB was not given the same opportunity as others and it beggars the question why are some players supported by our club but not so in his case.
You offered previously that at 19 he knows right from wrong well does that not apply to all the others we have helped?
What AFB did was clearly wrong but we could have stood him down awaiting the outcome of his trial and then looked at implementing a plan to rehabilitate a young man (somebody else clearly did so) but we didn't do that instead we immediately tore up his contract. i
In old articles about most of the above it talks about behaviour that is in breach of contracts, well JDB is facing the most serious of charges of anyone and such behaviour would clearly constitute a breach of contract, yet JDB remains in the system, remains at training and the only thing that the club has to hang its hat on is JDB's word re his innocence whilst the DPP has a case strong enough to go to court.
Why is the club not standing JDB down or ripping up his contract?
A good question and IMO the club shows its true colours in that it was easy to dispense with the contracts of a 19 year old kid and a 30 year old clunker and cast them out in an effort to support the NRL during troubled times but argue against the NRL and stand steadfastly behind marquis players such as Packer, Dugan & JDB as they were more worthwhile assets.
You continue to falsely accuse me of saying that my support of Dennis's argument re AFB is based on AFB's ability to play (not realised at the time of the incident) but I suggest that there is clear evidence that the club did support rep players in a manner they could have afforded AFB but clearly they chose not to do so.

True_Believer

Juniors
My 2 cents worth.

I think most of the posts in this thread and other threads about past and current players is more about looking for an opportunity to put the club down. The AFB scenario, selecting Hunt @ 9 for SOO, the multiple threads about Garrick etc are all aimed at trying to suggest that the club made the wrong decision and should be outed for doing so. In the AFB case it appears to have nothing to do with the moral perspective or what is actually right or wrong, but about trying to score points by raising another perceived failing by the club. It boils down to a witch hunt.

With regards to the AFB scenario, if we take the actual indiscretions out of the discussion, the one thing that separates this from Dugan and Packer is that AFB was already on a contract with the club.

Assumption 1:

When he was arrested and charged, the club would have (as they have done with JDB) worked with him to understand the actual scenario (actually supported by the fact that he was stood down when it happened but terminated 6 months later). AFB ended up pleading guilty and I assume the club knew this would be the case before the court case. This is a key difference between JDB and AFB (love the acronyms).

Assumption 2:

Contractually there would have been some sort of clause detailing consequences for off field behaviour – and this is most likely ranked against severity. Am assuming that where guilt is determined, then this would result in termination of the players contract (again, based on severity). This is the difference between Dugan and Packer – neither were on a contract with the club when their off-field indiscretions occurred so the responsibility is not with the club to act on the players previous actions.

I believe the whole thing comes down to contractual obligation. Keeping AFB on board after being found guilty of a serious crime potentially sets a dangerous precedent for other players and a feeling that the club turns a blind eye to this sort of behaviour with a trivial punishment. I believe the club did the right thing in this instance. I also understand based on media reports of other problem players that the NRL plays a role in the decision-making process as to whether to terminate them or to give them another chance. I take it that some decision making is taken out of the clubs hands.

Finally, the definition of ‘junior’ needs to be defined because AFB played with the Rabbits and the Eels prior to joining the Dragons. We didn’t nurture him through the ranks from junior clubs in the region, we bought him in at a later date. Juniors to me are those that are identified and brought through from within the region. Not those that are brought in at NYC level (or equivalent), one or 2 steps before first grade. Irrespective, just because he is or isn’t a junior should not be a determining factor in any decision. Especially one of this magnitude.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Old Timer.. you really need to check your facts..

AFB was stood down by the Dragons when he was charged.. (so still supported by the club)..

He was only sacked after he pleaded guilty and was convicted..

So he was afforded exactly the same benefit as JDB is experiencing at the moment..

BTW, Nielsen was at Souths after us, not before..

And out of curiosity how many ‘chances’ do you believe is fair for a guy to have when it comes to violence against women?

And lol at the “false accusations”... Again, please point out where these are...

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
My 2 cents worth.

I think most of the posts in this thread and other threads about past and current players is more about looking for an opportunity to put the club down. The AFB scenario, selecting Hunt @ 9 for SOO, the multiple threads about Garrick etc are all aimed at trying to suggest that the club made the wrong decision and should be outed for doing so. In the AFB case it appears to have nothing to do with the moral perspective or what is actually right or wrong, but about trying to score points by raising another perceived failing by the club. It boils down to a witch hunt.

With regards to the AFB scenario, if we take the actual indiscretions out of the discussion, the one thing that separates this from Dugan and Packer is that AFB was already on a contract with the club.

Assumption 1:

When he was arrested and charged, the club would have (as they have done with JDB) worked with him to understand the actual scenario (actually supported by the fact that he was stood down when it happened but terminated 6 months later). AFB ended up pleading guilty and I assume the club knew this would be the case before the court case. This is a key difference between JDB and AFB (love the acronyms).

Assumption 2:

Contractually there would have been some sort of clause detailing consequences for off field behaviour – and this is most likely ranked against severity. Am assuming that where guilt is determined, then this would result in termination of the players contract (again, based on severity). This is the difference between Dugan and Packer – neither were on a contract with the club when their off-field indiscretions occurred so the responsibility is not with the club to act on the players previous actions.

I believe the whole thing comes down to contractual obligation. Keeping AFB on board after being found guilty of a serious crime potentially sets a dangerous precedent for other players and a feeling that the club turns a blind eye to this sort of behaviour with a trivial punishment. I believe the club did the right thing in this instance. I also understand based on media reports of other problem players that the NRL plays a role in the decision-making process as to whether to terminate them or to give them another chance. I take it that some decision making is taken out of the clubs hands.

Finally, the definition of ‘junior’ needs to be defined because AFB played with the Rabbits and the Eels prior to joining the Dragons. We didn’t nurture him through the ranks from junior clubs in the region, we bought him in at a later date. Juniors to me are those that are identified and brought through from within the region. Not those that are brought in at NYC level (or equivalent), one or 2 steps before first grade. Irrespective, just because he is or isn’t a junior should not be a determining factor in any decision. Especially one of this magnitude.
Very well put..

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Don't know why the AFB case came into this discussion, as the post was (basically) about would we re-sign Packer.
For the record AFB was stood down by the Dragons in January 2015 and his contract terminated in June of the same year.
In any case we wouldn't even be debating the morals of AFB if he hadn't started playing decent football at Manly. For every player we let go that makes it elsewhere and good luck to them, however, there are many more that dont and can't even rate a mention in discussions.
I would like to bet that the Bulldogs would gave liked to rethink the Thurston over Silva decision.

Anyway, back to Packer and wether we should extend a hand. IMO, and I have already said it before, its a big no.

Latest posts