What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Test - NZ 34-14 Tonga @ Mt Smart

Oceania Cup - Rep Weekend: NZ v Tonga

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stormbati

Bench
Great game from the Kiwis.
I’m betting Madge will be having a word to Brandon Smith and promising him the world at the Tigers.

Quicksilver

Bench
Last night the NSW womans winger had the same grounding and it was disallowed.

For mine a try is correct in that case. But how can the bunker last night say no try... and tonight overturn onfield refs to award one for damn near identical grounding?

It’s a toss of the coin with those things. Sometimes they want downward pressure, other times they talk separation or control.

SBD82

Coach
It’s a toss of the coin with those things. Sometimes they want downward pressure, other times they talk separation or control.
That’s because there are different rules for grounding a rolling ball and dropping and regathering before grounding.

mxlegend99

Referee
I honestly miss the downward pressure rulings. They were more consistent.

The whole separation and control thing can't even be consistent from one night to the next. Uet the whole point of the bunker was supposed to be for consistency to improve.

TheFrog

Coach
I honestly miss the downward pressure rulings. They were more consistent.

The whole separation and control thing can't even be consistent from one night to the next. Uet the whole point of the bunker was supposed to be for consistency to improve.
I thought last night's one was a try.

Quicksilver

Bench
If there is separation when you are in possession you have to regain control.

If it’s a rolling ball you just need to put downward pressure. You don’t need control.

I don’t think he really regained control on that one though.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
MATCH REPORT - New Zealand 34 Tonga 14:

Johnson hat-trick helps Kiwis trounce Tonga
Andrew Jackson | June 22 2019 5:41PM

New Zealand v Tonga

A Shaun Johnson hat-trick stole the show but Brandon Smith continues to quell concerns over life after Cameron Smith, with an energetic performance in New Zealand's 34-14 win over Tonga at Mt Smart Stadium.

The 23-year old was a constant threat through the middle in the 54 minutes he was on the field, scoring a try, setting up one and busting 10 tackles.

And that was on top of the usual 35 tackles and tireless work in defence.

He helped New Zealand's big men roll upfield with ease and five-eighth Johnson reaped the rewards, scoring a hattrick of tries.

Despite the score line, the Tongan supporters made their voices heard throughout the entire eighty minutes.

Read the full match report - https://leagueunlimited.com/news/33573-new-zealand-v-tonga-report/