What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should replace Lebanon in WC 2021?

langpark

First Grade
It is clear, that in their current state, their is no way on earth they can field a team at the WC. I don't even mean a 'good' team either, I honestly doubt whether they can find 17 able-bodied males or not!

So, RLIF must make a decision quickly. I think the most logical thing would be for:
Scotland, Russia, Greece (lowest ranked)
Ireland, Italy, Spain (lowest ranked)
Cook Islands, USA (loser)

To form a group of 3, play their matches in 2020, and the winner of the group, gets Lebanon's spot.

siv

First Grade
Before Lebanon auto qualified what was the plan for Lebanon in the playoffs ?

I think they needed to beat South Africa

If anything allow the loser of the Cooks v USA to face them the following week

Pommy

Coach
Never mind the World Cup they’re supposed to be playing the 9s this October/November.
I vote Jamaica to get that spot.
World Cup realistically it should be USA, South Africa are clearly not in a position to be playing the next World Cup after their game against cooks.
I can’t see a situation where USA win that play off so just give them both a spot. The RLIF are still making noises about a NA World Cup so USA really need to be there this time IMHO.

langpark

First Grade
Before Lebanon auto qualified what was the plan for Lebanon in the playoffs ?

I think they needed to beat South Africa

If anything allow the loser of the Cooks v USA to face them the following week
I think that is what will end up happening. Either way, they should get it sorted as soon as possible.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm still predicting Lebanon will hold their spot. Until there is an accusation of board misconduct from someone that actually matters, I have no reason to think otherwise.
Remember there is serious risk of creating another Greece here if the RLIF is forced to take harsh action. Be careful what you wish for...

IF Lebanon can't hold their spot, then I think it should go to the loser of Cook Islands v USA.

Pommy

Coach
I'm still predicting Lebanon will hold their spot. Until there is an accusation of board misconduct from someone that actually matters, I have no reason to think otherwise.
Remember there is serious risk of creating another Greece here if the RLIF is forced to take harsh action. Be careful what you wish for...

IF Lebanon can't hold their spot, then I think it should go to the loser of Cook Islands v USA.

Who is going to ply the games? If they’re not running a senior comp and can’t call on heritage players who’s going to play?

adamkungl

Immortal
Who is going to ply the games? If they’re not running a senior comp and can’t call on heritage players who’s going to play?

Their university comp ran this year.
Their senior club comp may well run this year or next.
And who's to say there aren't heritage players that don't agree with Farah and Saab's crusade?

I don't doubt they'll get flogged, regardless of who's fault it is, they've shot themselves in the foot.
But I don't see them struggling to find 17 able-bodied human males.

Pommy

Coach
Their university comp ran this year.
Their senior club comp may well run this year or next.
And who's to say there aren't heritage players that don't agree with Farah and Saab's crusade?

I don't doubt they'll get flogged, regardless of who's fault it is, they've shot themselves in the foot.
But I don't see them struggling to find 17 able-bodied human males.

Isn’t the reason for not playing a senior comp that they were worried about the danger aspect in their low standards? Sending a load of students to play pros make it a little laughable.

adamkungl

Immortal
I thought it was there was a stupidly high forfeit rate and some clubs weren't actually registered as official clubs etc. Sloppy off-field standards I heard

___

Juniors
Lebanon should not be replaced by USA in the World Cup. At least Lebanon won a game at the World Cup and put up pretty brave fights against Australia and England... the same could NOT be said by the USA who were humiliated in all their outings. At least Lebanon have a good few NRL players in their squad.

Pommy

Coach
Lebanon should not be replaced by USA in the World Cup. At least Lebanon won a game at the World Cup and put up pretty brave fights against Australia and England... the same could NOT be said by the USA who were humiliated in all their outings. At least Lebanon have a good few NRL players in their squad.

What NRL players?

I don’t think anyone thought they’re ere humiliated. Samoa and NZ were humiliated not USA.

___

Juniors
What NRL players?

I don’t think anyone thought they’re ere humiliated. Samoa and NZ were humiliated not USA.
What do you mean what NRL players? Tim Mannah, Mitchell Moses, Robbie Farah, and Alex Twal for starters. Since then, Abbas Miski and Adam Doueihi have gone on to make their NRL debuts, and Josh Mansour who is eligible to play for Lebanon decided to instead play for Australia (understandably) - however as it looks like his representative career (in Australia) maybe over, he might opt to play for Lebanon instead next World Cup.

I guess humiliated is a matter of interpretation, however USA losing 58-12 to Fiji and 46-0 to Italy isn't exactly something to cheer about (for them).

Pommy

Coach
What do you mean what NRL players? Tim Mannah, Mitchell Moses, Robbie Farah, and Alex Twal for starters. Since then, Abbas Miski and Adam Doueihi have gone on to make their NRL debuts, and Josh Mansour who is eligible to play for Lebanon decided to instead play for Australia (understandably) - however as it looks like his representative career (in Australia) maybe over, he might opt to play for Lebanon instead next World Cup.

I guess humiliated is a matter of interpretation, however USA losing 58-12 to Fiji and 46-0 to Italy isn't exactly something to cheer about (for them).

So all the players they’ve just banned from playing for them and the entire premise of this thread?

Pommy

Coach
No one really takes the 9s seriously though lol. 9s footy is completely different from the WC.

Well it’s the first 9s World Cup so yeah of course, it doesn’t change the fact they don’t really have a team.

siv

First Grade
World 9s is only open by invitation so standard is maintained

They could easily say that Lebanon no longer meets that minimum stanard and revoke that invitation