What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Stats.

Rich102

Staff member
Just reading down the list of team stats. on NRL.com
Just looking at the top 5 in each category one name jumps out. Ken Maumalo.

Tries scored first equal with 12
Linebreaks third equal with 11
Post contact metres first (by a big margin) with 929
Running metres first with 290
All run metres first with 2829 (RTS second with 2645)
Pretty impressive effort. Clubman of the year?

Some other stats.
Tackle breaks RTS second with 75
Linebreak assists Peta Hiku 4th with 10
Kick return metres RTS 4th with 703
Penalties conceded Adam Blair second with 15

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Yup, took him until what, his 4th or 5th year in first grade to learn that trick? Bet you could find a few dozen u18 guys who have been doing it all their jnr career.

#naturalwinger

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Nobody’s claiming he was a born winger. What’s important is that he IS a good winger, NOW. Two seasons ago youd’ve been right with that claim, not now. He’s learned the skills and is close to the best in the comp now.

Iafeta

Referee
Comfortably our best player this year. But because he’s over 6’ and 100kg he’s not a winter, y’know.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Depends on what your idea of a winger is. Ken obviously is the in the Vatuvei/Sailor/Tuquiri mould but he lacks one major fundamental that those three have over him and that's speed. He also lacks other parts such as aerial ability and a knack for breaking the line but my main problem with him is lack of speed. Hes not a line breaker so I dont know why people would think hes the best when you got Josh Addo Carr, Blake Fergusson, Nick Cotric, Corey Oates etc...THOSE are wingers. MY idea of real wingers anyway ;)

Not hard to be the man in a mediocre team. If anything, this is where mediocrity gets rewarded, especially under Kearney.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Depends on what your idea of a winger is. Ken obviously is the in the Vatuvei/Sailor/Tuquiri mould but he lacks one major fundamental that those three have over him and that's speed. He also lacks other parts such as aerial ability and a knack for breaking the line but my main problem with him is lack of speed. Hes not a line breaker so I dont know why people would think hes the best when you got Josh Addo Carr, Blake Fergusson, Nick Cotric, Corey Oates etc...THOSE are wingers. MY idea of real wingers anyway ;)

Not hard to be the man in a mediocre team. If anything, this is where mediocrity gets rewarded, especially under Kearney.

The one argument I always hear is that without Maumalo we wouldn't make any metres in our sets, and there is some truth to that.

That's also my point. We currently need Maumalo because of necessity. Build a proper team and the necessity isn't there and without necessity we have a player whose overall skill set as a winger does not stack up against complete wingers.

I like wingers to be gamebreakers. Guys that turn half chances into full ones and can provide moments of brilliance to change a game. That's not Maumalo. Doesn't have the speed, positioning, anticipation or instincts of a winger.

Rich102

Staff member

But unlike the other wingers you mention Ken hasn't had the players inside him to set him up. He has had to go looking for his chances.
Unlike so many others he is having a real dig.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
But unlike the other wingers you mention Ken hasn't had the players inside him to set him up. He has had to go looking for his chances.

100% he's having a dig. He's a fantastic player and the fact he's come as far as he has is a testament to how hard he works, how strong he is mentally, and how willing he is to learn.

Still, he doesn't change the game the way truly top wingers do.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
The one argument I always hear is that without Maumalo we wouldn't make any metres in our sets, and there is some truth to that.

That's also my point. We currently need Maumalo because of necessity. Build a proper team and the necessity isn't there and without necessity we have a player whose overall skill set as a winger does not stack up against complete wingers.

I like wingers to be gamebreakers. Guys that turn half chances into full ones and can provide moments of brilliance to change a game. That's not Maumalo. Doesn't have the speed, positioning, anticipation or instincts of a winger.
We're both not big fans of big Ken but thats a fair and accurate summation of Ken Maumalo. Ken is a product of Kearneys persistence. I guess when you keep watching mediocrity, some end up appreciating mediocrity without even realising it. I mean, what else is there to be positive about in our team?

Only a couple of months ago some of were claiming RTS was the greatest and I spoke of true greatness and how he could achieve it. But some were like 'no no no, RTS is the greatest'. Now look. Wheres that greatness now? lol. Tedesco is the current great fullback now.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Focus on the part of my post where it mentions SPEED. Also how those guys broke the line ON THEIR OWN! (no help from anyone) - line breakers.

Speed and line breakers. Maumalo? he's neither, thats my point.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I'm a big fan of Ken, always have been since NYC.

But in a team devoid of attacking threat on the edges, developing a junior second rower into a winger has always felt completely counter productive.

We didn't need to manufacture a replacement Manu, we needed to look at the players we had and create a team balance/style that best suits their skills.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Still, he doesn't change the game the way truly top wingers do.
And if you're going to considered one of the best wingers in the NRL, you MUST have this ability.

Bennett, Bellamy, Meninga would LAUGH at anyone saying that Ken is the best winger in the NRL. They wouldn't pick him over Addo Carr, Cotric, Fergusson or Oates. Come on, you gotta know league.

Latest posts