What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman??

possm

Coach
Thought Norman played overall very composed considering he debuted in a decider in Sydney.

That kick for the first try of the match was on a dime

Was also pleased to see Hunt among the QLD better players again. His line break in the 78th minute should have had more support, he almost got them within field goal range with that run
SGI has a few really talented players who are top shelf. The likes of Hunt, Norman, Vaughan, Frizell and Sims are a good core of players to build a competitive team around. Our second tier players, McInnes, Graham and maybe K Sims are the standard of player we should be recruiting to support our top shelf players.

Of course there is room for up and coming players like Lomax, Pearson, Leilua, Saab and yes Ravalawa. However, there is really no excuse for retaining some of the deadwood we are currently stuck with Dufty, Aitken, Lafai, Maranta, Runciman and Nicholls some of which are eating up valuable salary cap and preventing SGI from holding the depth needed to succeed in the NRL competition.

We often see at other clubs new young 18 year olds bring blooded into NRL sides and then forming the necessary depth or pushing through to first grade level. Unfortunately at SGI we seem to go for players like Marenta over Masters and contract Nicholls over Clune and we lament that we 'can't keep them all' when players like Robson, Timm, Masters and maybe a few other young plaers feel the need to leave SGI.

I say the way to avoid most of this and set on a path which would allow us to move forward with a squad of better depth and first graders of a higher standard is to:

1. Plan to rid the club of our deadwood ASAP. This includes the coachng staff.

2. Recruit only first grade player 'like for like OR BETTER' to fill our first choice first grade 17.

3. Back fill with depth comprising a mix of our best and brightest young players and credible second tier first graders who come at an economical price.

4. Improve our pathways system by creating 5 level stages of progress with a criteria of skill-sets that players are required to meet before moving to the next stage of the ladder path for selection to first grade. SGI should ensure that those young players coming through can tackle, pass the ball both ways, competently take a pass and/or a high ball and have a good understanding of positional play.

5. The separation between the management of pathways/recruitment/retention and coaching should revert to the old system of reporting to the head coach. The head coach should report to the football manager or the CEO depending on the structure preferred by the Board.

j0nesy

Bench
SGI has a few really talented players who are top shelf. The likes of Hunt, Norman, Vaughan, Frizell and Sims are a good core of players to build a competitive team around. Our second tier players, McInnes, Graham and maybe K Sims are the standard of player we should be recruiting to support our top shelf players.

Of course there is room for up and coming players like Lomax, Pearson, Leilua, Saab and yes Ravalawa. However, there is really no excuse for retaining some of the deadwood we are currently stuck with Dufty, Aitken, Lafai, Maranta, Runciman and Nicholls some of which are eating up valuable salary cap and preventing SGI from holding the depth needed to succeed in the NRL competition.

We often see at other clubs new young 18 year olds bring blooded into NRL sides and then forming the necessary depth or pushing through to first grade level. Unfortunately at SGI we seem to go for players like Marenta over Masters and contract Nicholls over Clune and we lament that we 'can't keep them all' when players like Robson, Timm, Masters and maybe a few other young plaers feel the need to leave SGI.

I say the way to avoid most of this and set on a path which would allow us to move forward with a squad of better depth and first graders of a higher standard is to:

2. Recruit only first grade player 'like for like OR BETTER' to fill our first choice first grade 17.

3. Back fill with depth comprising a mix of our best and brightest young players and credible second tier first graders who come at an economical price.

4. Improve our pathways system by creating 5 level stages of progress with a criteria of skill-sets that players are required to meet before moving to the next stage of the ladder path for selection to first grade. SGI should ensure that those young players coming through can tackle, pass the ball both ways, competently take a pass and/or a high ball and have a good understanding of positional play.

5. The separation between the management of pathways/recruitment/retention and coaching should revert to the old system of reporting to the head coach. The head coach should report to the football manager or the CEO depending on the structure preferred by the Board.

Agree with the general intent of this post. As for the support staff structure, we need to get back to bare minimum and absolute basics. We are too small a club to have as many support staff as we do. I’d go back to head coach reporting to board, with 1 assistant coach and 1 or 2 talent scouts all reporting to the head coach. The assistant coach should also coach the reserves and the talent scout(s) can coach the juniors. All coaches should work across all grades to get an appreciation of the entire squad. Aside from a physio and a doctor, what else do we need?

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Nice post Possm, but a couple of points:
1. Runciman IS NOT in our top 30 and is on a CC contract only. He doesnt take up any salary cap.
2. Clune, as I'm aware was offered an NRL contract but declined he's hapoy heing a part-timer.
3. The very fact that the clean-out needs to start at the very top of the tree, almost guarantees it wont happen. Basically, why would they employ someone just to sack them.
4. Agree, that McGregor and his band of merry men have to go, the unfortunate thing is....refer point 3. Belligerence and ego will not allow any change to the coaching structure unless we totally bomb out and win a couple of Wooden Spoons. Then of course it will see the likes of another old boy take over. That's the sad reality.
5. On paper even our current Squad should be competing in the top 8 at the very minimum requirements. The fact that we're not he's a clear indication today I'm not coached to achieve this.
6. As others have pointed out the problem with the coach and the coaching staff run very deep. Whilst it is dreaming that we recruit quality players, the reality is that no one wants to come here unless they're at the end of their careers. It is more than likely that we will lose more about promising juniors then we will retain.

Again, these are the cold facts.

rednwhites

Juniors
Another big chance for him to step up tonight and fell extremely flat. Probably his worst performance of all, and he's had a few. He ran rings around the Bulldogs and kicked two important field goals this year. Everything else has been putrid from him.

Second worst signing blooper we've made.

getsmarty

Immortal
Another big chance for him to step up tonight and fell extremely flat. Probably his worst performance of all, and he's had a few. He ran rings around the Bulldogs and kicked two important field goals this year. Everything else has been putrid from him.

But remember...he's much better than widdop according to many on here...

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop walks right back in to number 6.

Won't make a difference....side is down on confidence and McGregor really is not a man manager in terms of getting the best out of players....but yes I think Norman 1 Widdop 6 or Norman 4 Lomax 1

Drop aitken...Of course that will never happen under McGregor.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I know there is nothing to be gained but you pick your best team, or 'your least worst team' in our case.
If Widdop is returning next week I would use it as the opportunity to give Norman a much required attitude test and drop him to cc for the rest of the season, he is kidding everyone including himself based on what he did tonight.

Old Timer

Coach
If Widdop is returning next week I would use it as the opportunity to give Norman a much required attitude test and drop him to cc for the rest of the season, he is kidding everyone including himself based on what he did tonight.
Wait he’s like so many of our much vaunted forward pack
A rep player beyond reproach and a certainty to be picked every week

getsmarty

Immortal
Wait he’s like so many of our much vaunted forward pack
A rep player beyond reproach and a certainty to be picked every week

How we going this year without him ???? We were a much better side with him @ 6 and Hunt @ 7....

Regardless the main issue is McGregor.....

VodkaSaint

Juniors
Norman is crap, I thought he might step up, he too slow and doesnt guide the team around the park like he used at parramatta
Parramatta are laughing there socks of and thanking us.
problem is we are stuck with him for another two bloody years.
he needs to take leak out Benji Marshals comeback or find Bejis trainer.
Give the youngsters a go, time to start Grooming for next year

Bench
McIdiot said on his post match interview that changes would be made for next week, I bet he won’t drop any players but Pearson should be dropped, he has had in chance.
I hope Lomax and Jordan P will be back soon.
Aitken needs to go also, for the last two games I have seen him waving his arms after a try is scored, he is the reason they scored, he is more of a liability now

getsmarty

Immortal
Half a chance: Norman prepares for fullback switch as Widdop returns
Adam Pengilly
July 22, 2019 — 6.02pm
  • Send via Email
Leave a comment

Corey Norman has told coach Paul McGregor he will move to fullback to accommodate Gareth Widdop's return from a long-term shoulder injury in St George Illawarra's last roll of the dice to save their season.

The Dragons are poised to parachute their captain straight back into the halves alongside the recharged Ben Hunt if he can come through the rest of the week unscathed before the do-or-die clash against the Rabbitohs on Friday night.

NRL Highlights: Panthers v Dragons - Round 18
The Penrith Panthers take on the St George Illawarra Dragons in Round 18 of the NRL.

The English international trained strongly in Wollongong on Monday with Norman stationed at the back, almost certainly condemning Matt Dufty to the bench or Canterbury Cup in an echo of McGregor's spine dilemma at the start of the year.

Widdop underwent a shoulder reconstruction after falling awkwardly in the golden point win over the Broncos way back in round three.

Only hours after a brutal video review of the hiding they took from the Panthers on Friday, Norman indicated he would slot straight back into the No.1 spot as Widdop prepares for his final fling at the club before taking up a Super League deal with Warrington next year.

0d89c67bf8f8affabdd9dd45507a95e96dec6307

Corey Norman could go to fullback for the Dragons.Credit:AAP

"Hopefully Gaz is back this week, so that would be a massive inclusion for us," Norman said. "He is our captain, he has been at our club for so long and he is moving on at the end of the year, so Gaz wants to finish on a high as well.

"I'm not too sure what the positional change will be, but if I have to move for Gareth I am more than happy to do that. Me, Gareth and Benny Hunt, we have played a lot of football so we can play with each other. Gaz will have a lot of opportunity with ball in hands and we have just got to go off him."

The Dragons, who have won just two of their last 11 matches, virtually need to win their remaining seven games to have any chance of featuring in the finals.

They have the worst defensive record in the competition and have only been saved from propping up the table by the struggling Bulldogs and Titans.

Widdop led a searching video session alongside James Graham and Tyson Frizell just three days after Cameron McInnes' searing post-game assessment of his side's performance against Penrith.

"We had a pretty honest video session today and spoke openly to one another," Norman said. "There was some good feedback about where we need to improve obviously, but I think we said what we needed to say and now we move on."

Added forward Korbin Sims: "It wasn't all doom and gloom. It wasn't a bash-up session . . .

"I think for a big part of the weekend's game we showed a lot of resilience to turn them away for as long as we did, but we couldn't find that extra set when they did end up scoring points. And I think that’s the thing that Paul is a little bit down about."

The Dragons board will meet on Tuesday to discuss the team's dismal campaign but have stressed McGregor's future won't be an item agenda.

The coach signed a two-year extension earlier this year which is set to keep him at the helm until the end of 2021.

"I don’t think it is Mary's fault," Sims said. "He is obviously the head honcho and it is easy for everyone on the outside looking in to blame Mary, but for us as a playing group we need to really step up and give Mary the support he has been giving us for the full year by starting to play the brand of football we know we can."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ha...switch-as-widdop-returns-20190722-p529j7.html

rednwhites

Juniors
Norman and T Sims, along with Hunt, have the most to answer for for the last two weeks.

They are certainly the highest paid players not putting in and not showing the right attitude. Norman should consider himself lucky if he even gets picked again. Dufty, of all players, trumps him on effort at the moment and on principle should force Norman to the bench or to CC.

Dragon Blood

Juniors

I'm still not convinced about Norman, except for his field goal kicking.
When the signing was made official, I do remember a parra fan posting in one of our threads and said something along the lines of parra fans were happy to see the back of him as they referred to him as Borey Snorman.
At this point from what I have seen of him, I'm starting to think that the parra fans may be correct