What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barrett to Panthers

Paddles

Juniors
So many emotions at this news.

First of all happiness and relief this clown ain't the next one to be wheeled in post Mary.

On the other hand, it's pretty telling that an underachiever who completely failed as a first-grade coach, who we were chasing and almost telling he could be top dog a few weeks into 2020, has rejected us to be a long term assistant at Penrith.

It's gonna take a while to get out of the post-Mary hole, and the club is just digging faster at the moment.

Axv_JhiuRuWDtXi6qLRITJmFVgCzjlpEknaaIDRdVv0.jpg

st.phil

Bench
I find this assistant coach thing a bit of a joke TBH - how do the duties get divided up? Does head coach not get power of veto on all decisions? I can't see anyone bullying Mary as he has built a career out of bullying. It's a black box and seems more of a fodder tool when things are going to $hit

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Did you not see the multiple page thread started hours ago about this?

SaintPauli

Juniors
Just read on Foxsports that Barrett has linked up with Cleary at Penrith.
All I can say is "Thank goodness"!!
His recent statements in the media taking credit for Manly's revival made me cringe.
Even if what he was saying was partly true, why would you front the media and make those claims?
He was on a hiding to nothing as soon as he opened his mouth.
It shows a lack of media culture and class which is so important for a head coach.
So any idea of Barrett being the next coach of St. George has now been scuppered which is a relief.
Even though the Board and their media pals remain staunchly in McGregor's corner, results may ultimately prove too much of a burden for them to carry for another 2 years.
I think that is what will happen and McGregor will be shown the door.
Giving McGregor a free ride in 2019 just made McGregor comfortable with the post extension results telling a sorry tale.
With Barrett no longer on the radar, we may be getting closer to hiring a real coach.
One lives in hope.
Great! That's one less disappointment to endure.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Fantastic news for Dragons fans, I was sure he was going to be our next head coach.

I was equally sure he was going to be our 50th Assistant Coach, to assist those who are already assisting the person who we know need assisting but refuses to be assisted by both old assistant & new assistants, regardless of whether their assistance is really assisting anyone.

SaintPauli

Juniors
No Barret. YEE HAH. Great for now.

If the sacking of Hornby and Young are true then the next question is who will be their replacements.

I actually like Fitzgibbon or Ryles for defence coaches. Both have been part of very successful defence systems for a fair while in their respective clubs. Poaching either would be a great insight to Melbourne or Roarters.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

If the sacking of Hornby and Young are true then the next question is who will be their replacements.

I actually like Fitzgibbon or Ryles for defence coaches. Both have been part of very successful defence systems for a fair while in their respective clubs. Poaching either would be a great insight to Melbourne or Roarters.

Not to mention a boon for the Old Boys’ Club.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Was Barrett ever really a chance of coming back anyway? He didn't exactly leave us on good terms as a player back at the end of 2006.

Apparently, Cronulla represented his “best chance” of a premiership before his playing days finished.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
So many emotions at this news.

First of all happiness and relief this clown ain't the next one to be wheeled in post Mary.

On the other hand, it's pretty telling that an underachiever who completely failed as a first-grade coach, who we were chasing and almost telling he could be top dog a few weeks into 2020, has rejected us to be a long term assistant at Penrith.

It's gonna take a while to get out of the post-Mary hole, and the club is just digging faster at the moment.

Axv_JhiuRuWDtXi6qLRITJmFVgCzjlpEknaaIDRdVv0.jpg

Interesting point: Barrett did reject SGI (provided the rumours were true....the club must really suck).

Coffs dragon

Bench

Both Fitzgibbon & Ryles would be a huge improvement, but I can't see them leaving their current positions & apprenticeships to work under our current Peanut coach!
I feel the only way they would budge from the Roosters & Storm would be for an opportunity as a Head Coach.
It will be interesting to see whom comes in as Assistants in 2020 now that the Barrett theory has blown out.
I really suspect Dean Young will survive based on spin!

George Dragon

Juniors
I find this assistant coach thing a bit of a joke TBH - how do the duties get divided up? Does head coach not get power of veto on all decisions? I can't see anyone bullying Mary as he has built a career out of bullying. It's a black box and seems more of a fodder tool when things are going to $hit
They run the team at training while Mary is busy putting in his 14 hours a day.

Old Timer

Coach
Wake up everyone and focus on the main game.
Any other news about coach / assistant coach movements is merely a distraction from it.
Who gives a damn where Barrett, Hornby or Young for that matter go, it is all about Mc Fookknuckle and he will be here for 2 years as simple as that.
Only a player revolt will change the situation and let's face it he is getting rid of the youth in the club as the sacrificial lambs whilst he is maintaining cordial relationships with the "older statesman" of the club and that suits them all just fine.
James Graham's option for 2020 will be exercised and that will show just how stuck in the mud we are as a club.
No amount of bad results or ranting in here (such a good pressure release though) is going to alter the inevitable.
This is not being negative merely pragmatic.

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
Classic example that with 1 or 2 exceptions no one on this forum knows what is going on. Make it up as you go.:grinning::grinning:. Must feed egos

Latest posts