What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breaking News - Nathan Brown to depart Knights at seasons end

Spot On

Coach
... and we've all seen plenty of Pearcey not playing to standard way too often - kicking and screaming or whatever he does - he just aint a decent leader.

Lack of options may have forced Browny's hand re the captaincy but the million dollar half is far from captain material.

Again, did anyone think he'd be that type?

Knight Vision

First Grade
No-one was complaining about Pearce's leadership when he was dragging the club kicking and screaming to wins. All 16 of the blokes with him were feeding off it and thriving on it. He has it in him, I've seen it in action. We all have.
your right we have ....for 6 games. For 6 games he played like a million dollar player .

Being a million dollar player doesnt make him an automatic selection for Captain nor should being the halfback/on field general. .

It's in moments like these character comes to the fore. A leader would be leading right now in the dark times and leading the playing group to the fight against the Tigers.

( IF the reports are true ) A leader would have gutted any player discontent before it had a chance to take root and shut down any rumour undermining the coaching. He's the Captain he sets the tone, he sets the mental toughness, he sets the standards, he helps establish what the club is about.

Pearce is and always will be just one of the boys. He just doesnt have the character of a leader. Leaders are born not made.

perverse

Referee
your right we have ....for 6 games. For 6 games he played like a million dollar player .

Being a million dollar player doesnt make him an automatic selection for Captain nor should being the halfback/on field general. .

It's in moments like these character comes to the fore. A leader would be leading right now in the dark times and leading the playing group to the fight against the Tigers.

( IF the reports are true ) A leader would have gutted any player discontent before it had a chance to take root and shut down any rumour undermining the coaching. He's the Captain he sets the tone, he sets the mental toughness, he sets the standards, he helps establish what the club is about.

Pearce is and always will be just one of the boys. He just doesnt have the character of a leader. Leaders are born not made.
Without knowing what's gone on behind closed doors, I can only really agree with you that the captain sets the tone and sets the example - and in that Pearce has failed in this current predicament. I don't doubt that. I can't really agree with anything else you've said, and I especially disagree with the sentiment that leaders are born, not made. Everyone you've ever met is a product of their environment and their genetics... and I don't believe there to be a leadership gene.

If Pearce has lost the playing group that would be another thing entirely. Pearce is the leader of his teammates, not the club itself in it's entirety. For all we know he's been sticking up for their best interests in this whole predicament. We just don't know, we don't have enough info. What I do know is that both last year and this - on the field - he can do it.

It's funny because I've been sounding out Pearce as a problem on the field since we started losing, to a very quiet reception I might add. Not because I don't think he can do it - but because I know he can... and he hasn't been lately. I seem to be in shallow company in wanting to know why before casting judgement.

perverse

Referee
... and we've all seen plenty of Pearcey not playing to standard way too often - kicking and screaming or whatever he does - he just aint a decent leader.

Lack of options may have forced Browny's hand re the captaincy but the million dollar half is far from captain material.

Again, did anyone think he'd be that type?
Absolute bollocks. Outside of the past month or two of games the praise for Pearce has been universal... and with good reason. He's been great for us.

Yosh

Coach
Success built on lack of decency and honour will be fleeting. Long term success is built on principles. Preferably the principles which are a reflection of the people the club represents.

Sure but if our lack of decency and honor means trophies (legally) I don't mind all that much. Just a couple of years of success then I'll be okay with all that principles crap again...

I thought we had a leadership group and not just a Captain. Pearce as Captain on-field could be different to the role he plays off.
Edit: he does head the leadership group.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
I thought we had a leadership group and not just a Captain. Pearce as Captain on-field could be different to the role he plays off.
Everyone needs someone to blame, I guess. Pearce, Brown and Kalyn in the crosshairs at the moment. My gut tells me there's more to this behind the scenes. Firstly because blaming Brown, Pearce and Ponga (without any real specifics on what has been done wrongly) for the current situation doesn't connect enough dots for me to be comfortable. Secondly, with the people I have known in and around the club in the past... I know from experience that what we're hearing will certainly not be the full picture. It never is.

The cynic in me looks towards who has the most to lose if the full truth came out, and also who actually has the power to keep the truth under wraps. That's a small list of people... and Brown isn't on that list anymore. He may never have been. I also look towards people who had something to gain from this happening. Again, small list of people.

It's clear that Brown, over the past 6-8 weeks, has lost the playing group. Personally, I'd like to know why. The armchair experts around here seem to think they know, but I'm not convinced. The Cowboys win also stands out to me as a massive wtf in retrospect. I don't understand how that even happened given the current narrative.

Everyone needs someone to blame, I guess. Pearce, Brown and Kalyn in the crosshairs at the moment. My gut tells me there's more to this behind the scenes. Firstly because blaming Brown, Pearce and Ponga (without any real specifics on what has been done wrongly) for the current situation doesn't connect enough dots for me to be comfortable. Secondly, with the people I have known in and around the club in the past... I know from experience that what we're hearing will certainly not be the full picture. It never is.

The cynic in me looks towards who has the most to lose if the full truth came out, and also who actually has the power to keep the truth under wraps. That's a small list of people... and Brown isn't on that list anymore. He may never have been. I also look towards people who had something to gain from this happening. Again, small list of people.

It's clear that Brown, over the past 6-8 weeks, has lost the playing group. Personally, I'd like to know why. The armchair experts around here seem to think they know, but I'm not convinced. The Cowboys win also stands out to me as a massive wtf in retrospect. I don't understand how that even happened given the current narrative.
Brown won't implicate anyone. He'll cop it on the chin as something that has happened and is part of the game.
As it stands now, with what's out there even though it's not verified, I'd settle for:
Gardner gone
Pezet gone
Don't sign O'Brien
Think seriously about Wane but back him up with recruitment. I'd even consider Gould in that role or another.

We get the slate partly cleaned, influences from outside minimised and it's almost over except for player backlash.

I'd be prepared to sacrifice players regardless of who they are for the sake of integrity and stability.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I especially disagree with the sentiment that leaders are born, not made. Everyone you've ever met is a product of their environment and their genetics... and I don't believe there to be a leadership gene.
Perhaps I used the wrong language. I do agree with you. But I do believe we are born with a certain character and some have a character which thrives on being a leader. I just dont think Pearce is of that character.

If the playing group is lost then certainly a healthy proportion of the blame falls at Pearce's feet.

Knight Vision

First Grade

Maybe most of what we are hearing is bullshit and made up hyperbole from journo's.

What we are seeing is a playing group that doesnt give a shit. Why? who really knows but it certainly aint cool.

Spot On

Coach
Absolute bollocks. Outside of the past month or two of games the praise for Pearce has been universal... and with good reason. He's been great for us.

Bollocks, outside a quarter of the season, the million dollar half has been balls for us this year. f**k what the universe thinks... he has stunk it up most of the time.

Browny should feel let down by Pearce. His on field performances and lack of leadership on and off the field have contributed to the coaches situation.

If we are to believe the tripe in the media, senior players approached Brown to do something about Ramien. So Brown did. Apparently snr players phone him to tell him he did the right thing after Ramien was booted then they fail to show up for game day and support him on field. Pearce leads that.

Pearce, as the captain, has to wear that lack of leadership both on and off the field.

Then we have the fiasco this week with the lack of front from the captain, who apparently did not get back to Brown as part of the snr playing group asked to give ferdback on whether the coach should go now. Again, lack of leadership and a piss poor decision to run and hide.

Then Pearce has to front the media and admit he has not acted in the way a captain and leader at the club should ... that on field performance was a disgrace and all because he failed to face up to the issues a decent leader and captain would have and should have addressed previously.

And all this for a million a year. FFS.

And as for the Cowboys result ... did you watch the game?

The Cowboys literally refused to tackle anyone that day. They were pathetic. They have some internal issues as well with their captain and coach having words in public recently.

Pearce needs to step up and show leadership in our home game v the wooden spooners this w/e.

And the irony of the situation ... Brown put most of his eggs in the Pearce basket. He honestly believed Mitchell was the half to lead us to success.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
Bollocks, outside a quarter of the season, the million dollar half has been balls for us this year. f**k what the universe thinks... he has stunk it up most of the time.
So where have you been for the entirety of Pearce's time here then? If he's been so bad, why haven't you called him out earlier? I'll tell you why - because you're full of shit. You're hardly the genius you think you are if it's taken you 2 seasons to figure out such a self evident truth.

You can sit here and rewrite history to your own warped point of view all you like, I'm not buying it.

Why don't you tell me more about how much of a genius our defensive coach is for turning our season around in the space of a week? At least that was funny. Your current little agenda is just sad.

perverse

Referee
Perhaps I used the wrong language. I do agree with you. But I do believe we are born with a certain character and some have a character which thrives on being a leader. I just dont think Pearce is of that character.

If the playing group is lost then certainly a healthy proportion of the blame falls at Pearce's feet.
Character is formed through life experience. Sorry mate, I just completely disagree with the entire premise. I also don't believe there's just one type of leader. People follow people for a multitude of reasons.

slotmachine

First Grade
Pearce is a very good club player but I don't think he's a captain.

As for his form, the Storm showed everyone if you pressured Pearce there was no plan B.

perverse

Referee
As for his form, the Storm showed everyone if you pressured Pearce there was no plan B.
Is that his fault, or the fact that he's always got a pot plant playing outside him? Possibly a bit of both... but it would be nice if we had another bloke step up when Pearce is getting shut down. KP not there yet.

slotmachine

First Grade
His commitment and confidence seems to go up and down, but overall I don't think the way the team was set up has helped him.

Some would argue he's on a million bucks a year so should do it all, but Joey is basically the only half ever who has been able to do that, and he's not Joey.

perverse

Referee
His commitment and confidence seems to go up and down, but overall I don't think the way the team was set up has helped him.

Some would argue he's on a million bucks a year so should do it all, but Joey is basically the only half ever who has been able to do that, and he's not Joey.
Yeah, the problem with playing both sides of the field as a traditional halfback is that you're always first receiver by nature... so you're the single focal point of the attack. It wouldn't be so bad if we had another half on the field that can slip into first receiver and run the plays... but we just don't have that.

What he's being paid isn't just a reflection of his ability or value to the team, it's also an indication of our need and desperation when we signed him. Anyone using his price tag as a criticism completely ignores the circumstances of where we've come from as a club to where we are now. I think it would be extremely audacious to claim we'd be in a better position now if we stuck with a Brock Lamb or Jack Cogger... which is probably the other option that was on the table. It's all well and good to bitch about what he's being paid today - but we'd never have gotten far enough to even worry about that had he not come in the first place - and he wouldn't have come without the paycheque.

TooheysNew

Coach
Million dollars or not, what other better halfback was available to us? In fact, what other better players were available to us. If we hadn't spent the money on Pearce, it'd just sit there unused anyway.

We had just won two spoons. Players weren't exactly lining up...

mozza91

Coach
Pearce and KP and especially Klem are not problems.
Agree with KP and Klemmer. I think Pearce is a part of the problem though. The difference between his best and worst is far too much for an elite half. Outside of those couple months he’s been pretty average this year particularly at the start.

It’s partly because he doesn’t have a quality half outside of him but he needs to be better too. He tries hard and defensively he’s very good, but his kicking game has been so up and down this year.

He was much better overall last season when he got on the park.

Latest posts