What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 2 final v Storm

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
yaniv-gunt-4-png.892992

Eelementary

Post Whore
If Storm play to their best it wont matter what we do. They'll win.

I completely disagree.

If we play our best, we beat them.

They beat us on experience, and the wrestle - but they cannot handle our expansive play, and explosive backs.

I am expecting the Storm to win, but I don't think you are giving the Eels enough credit.

Eelementary

Post Whore
As good as we were on Sunday, the donkeys were absolutely woeful. There’s no way the storm will allow us to play like the broncos did. Well the 3 refs won’t allow it that’s for sure :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The Broncos were poor - but the way we played help to facilitate that.

Every time they ran the ball, we smashed them.

Every kick they put in was made under extreme pressure.

The Broncos were shit - but that does not denigrate how white-hot we were.

We would have beaten anyone that day.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It's perfect. A slug fest makes it closer to a 50/50.
I dont want to bust people bubbles but Brisbane where rubbish. We are playing Melbourne in Melbourne. If both teams played to their best in dry conditions I'd back Storm every time.
But in the wet gee. I am starting to like our chances even more.

What are you talking about?

A dour slugfest in the wet plays into Melbourne's hands.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
We like to spread the ball and take risks, they play up the middle. Wouldn't wet weather suit their style more than ours?

If we are forced to play safety first it will be harder. They are the masters of that type of football and will wrestle and strangle the shit out of us.

84 Baby

Referee
They are the masters of that type of football and will wrestle and strangle the shit out of us.
Even money they do that regardless of weather. Dry weather just means there’d probably be less of those merkins in the tackle wrenching necks and squirrel gripping

Eelementary

Post Whore
Why? Do you think our backline will blow them away with power and speed?
Wet game means a 50/50 slug fest.

Wet games are traditionally better for huge forward packs, because expansive games go out the window.

Our strength lies in our expansive football; poor weather means we have to play it through the middle.

As for our backs:

Jennings is at least as good, if not better, than Chambers
Blake is one of the best centre in the NRL
Ferguson and Sivo are two of the best wingers in the game
Gutherson is an above average, but not elite level, fullback

Our backs are our biggest strength. I believe our backline is in the top 4 best of the NRL.

IFR33K

Coach
Wet games are traditionally better for huge forward packs, because expansive games go out the window.

Our strength lies in our expansive football; poor weather means we have to play it through the middle.

As for our backs:

Jennings is at least as good, if not better, than Chambers
Blake is one of the best centre in the NRL
Ferguson and Sivo are two of the best wingers in the game
Gutherson is an above average, but not elite level, fullback

Our backs are our biggest strength. I believe our backline is in the top 4 best of the NRL.

Just on gutho, had he been just a little quicker he’d def be in turbo toms league.

Anyway, if it’s wet I’ll be predicting Moses/Drown short kicking game to play a major role in us scoring play. We may shoot ourselves in the foot if we attempt to play too expansive.

emjaycee

Coach
All year we have been a confidence team. Willing to back ourselves when we a playing with confidence to pull off the expansive plays successfully.

In his behind the scenes thing, BA made mention to the team that they need to trust themselves and that no one else plays our style of footy.

I am picking us to play our game, our way, despite the weather... the Parra way got us to 5th after 25 rounds. It got us past Manly in round 25 quite convincingly, it got us past Brisbane so dramatically. If it gets us past Melbourne whoohoo. If it doesnt, a change to how we have played all year wouldn't have either.

Go Parraball!!

Eelectrica

Referee
To beat Melbourne we're going to have to take a few risks I think.

Thing is melbourne is a low risk team themselves. Meaning we should be in the game until the end this time. The game in brisbane was an aberration.

Melbourne had more than enough ball in the second half to put Canberra away if they wanted. They wanted to grind out a win instead.