What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
interesting,

he'd be a decent playmaker on the edge but I'm not aware of him playing on the edge much, could be a bit of a gamble
He played second roe through the under 20sfor St George. He was awesome but I remember thinking he was too small and wouldn't make first grade.

I agree with this to some extent. But you can talk to any player at any stage under the rules of the NRL as long as you don't formally offer him a contract before the 1st of Nov(or is it the 31st, I don't remember?) one year out from the final year of their current contract.

That gives you all the time in the world to show plenty of love and interest to any player under contract that may be open to offers way before they recommit with their current clubs. So if you are a well run club with a strong current football roster have a powerful leagues club, have what will probably be the best COE in the State and have the best Stadium and the best fan support, how hard is it to convince a young star to jump ship?

Sure wont get everybody, that's for sure, but there will be takers, that is also for sure. The point is we now have the luxury of having time on our hands and the clout to impress even the most difficult to impress. As an example, centre is a position we should be planing for right now to fill for 2022 when Jennings retires. There is very little excuse in getting it wrong. We should be always looking at grooming the best and all players love when a club, but in particular a head coach takes personal interest in them. That is the key for many players, that personal attention and bond from a coach and a clear massage on how to play. Add all the other great attractions our club has and we make a very persuasive argument for almost any player.
So your plan is to get BA to talk to people?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It’s very easy to target the young form players, but the chances off Suli or Xeri ever being on the market are really zero. Even if they do decide to “test the market” our club will rightly not pay overs for either of them. You see a lot of hype around some kids these days (Zac Lomax), but sometimes all that glitters is not gold.
Xerri is already awesome but Suli is a woeful defender.

Gronk

Staff member
Agreed.

Waqa Blake, if he can remain fit, will be the game's best centre - if he isn't already.
Waqa also has plenty of upside. I think he has plenty to work on when it comes to providing clean ball to his winger. Fergo has been fed scraps of late. Just imagine when Waqa learns to offer his wingers Jenkovic type service.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
interesting,

he'd be a decent playmaker on the edge but I'm not aware of him playing on the edge much, could be a bit of a gamble

He hasn’t really played much there in the NRL (but played everywhere in the juniors even fullback) but he is pretty versatile. He has played halves / centre and edge forward isnt much different to those 2 defensively. And his running/attacking game is suited to edge.

And he has said he wanted to play lock (indicating he is happy to play in the forwards):

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...n/news-story/f4c5c3b73b1878dded150a64c1eecb11

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Both are inferior compared to Waqa Blake. Waqa is a lamborghini, Xeri is a hot hatch and Suli is a home modded old commodore that could shit it’s gearbox anyday.
I think Xerri will become at least as good as Blake, these two will probably be the best centres in the game for a while. It's delicious that they play opposite each other.

In their only confrontation (round 6 this year) Xerri was playing on the right, so they weren't opposite each other: https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/tels...ound-6/extended-highlights-sharks-v-panthers/

But obviously Xerri seems to have found a home on the left outside Wade Graham since then.

hindy111

Post Whore
If Matterson is just being a mercenary like the media are alluding to, then f**k him. He is on $350K and reckons he is worth more if you believe the reports. I like him but not $500K worth of like. I'd go $400 or so.

Bird is broken and currently on $800K so Donkeys would have to pay half his freight for mine. He's a utility back which is not really a priority for us compared to the need to replace Tep which Matterson would do nicley.

Surprised to see us linked to Bird.

I'd rather take Matto at 500 then Bird at 400. What risk is Matto.
Bird is still a risk at 400 of not playing at all

hindy111

Post Whore
Both are inferior compared to Waqa Blake. Waqa is a lamborghini, Xeri is a hot hatch and Suli is a home modded old commodore that could shit it’s gearbox anyday.

Except when Waqa played for Penrith and then he was overated.
Honestly Blake looks better at this stage but he is a seasoned NRL player.
Xerri could be anything and Suli did things last night that most centers can not.
Blake's been ok at Parra but hardly set world on fire. He looks dangerous but yet to see him bust the line out of nothing like xerri and suli seem to do.

strider

Post Whore
Except when Waqa played for Penrith and then he was overated.
Honestly Blake looks better at this stage but he is a seasoned NRL player.
Xerri could be anything and Suli did things last night that most centers can not.
Blake's been ok at Parra but hardly set world on fire. He looks dangerous but yet to see him bust the line out of nothing like xerri and suli seem to do.
Murray ran round Suli like he wasnt there ... Im Im surpri how agile Suli is for his size, but he still gets murdered in defense