What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ratings

Stallion

First Grade
last year 1.167m (sharks/panthers)

Thanks. So it's basically the same. Suppose it's a bit concerning in that these two clubs put on a great show last night! I assume the different means of viewing the game has impacted on such ratings figures?

Starkers

Bench
@The_Wookie ... interested in your thoughts on whether the Giants will add or detract from the audience overall for the AFL GF given they are effectively replacing Collingwood. Will the GWS inclusion boost regionals for AFL?

And also whether if the Raiders make the GF if that will be a boost to the regional numbers?

Cheers,
Matt.

The_Wookie

Bench
@The_Wookie ... interested in your thoughts on whether the Giants will add or detract from the audience overall for the AFL GF given they are effectively replacing Collingwood. Will the GWS inclusion boost regionals for AFL?

And also whether if the Raiders make the GF if that will be a boost to the regional numbers?

Cheers,
Matt.

Might bring in a decent Sydney audience if previous Swans grand finals are anything to go by. Not sure on NSW/ACT regional impact.

Raiders grand final will be big in the ACT, but probably low on priority in QLD and NNSW for viewers.

Billythekid

First Grade

Cheers,
Matt.

Depends how much they can talk about the underdog/fairytale story line for the raiders.

IMO channel 9 (and to a lesser extent the NRL) have successfully managed to make the average fan less interested in the smaller clubs. Teams like the raiders are rarely on FTA and even less commonly shown in the big time slots like Friday night. The end result is that the average fan barely knows or cares about them.

In the 90s they were regularly on TV so they could actually popular with the average punter.

Long story short I don’t think the raiders will be a disaster for ratings but I think it will be a relatively low rating final. Roosters/storm v raiders isn’t an ideal matchup even though on paper it looks amazing (underdog vs the big 2, very evenly matched teams).

As for GWS I’d say it will be similar to if the swans made it except with slightly worse ratings. Fewer people in Sydney and Australia care about GWS as do the swans.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Depends how much they can talk about the underdog/fairytale story line for the raiders.

IMO channel 9 (and to a lesser extent the NRL) have successfully managed to make the average fan less interested in the smaller clubs. Teams like the raiders are rarely on FTA and even less commonly shown in the big time slots like Friday night. The end result is that the average fan barely knows or cares about them.

In the 90s they were regularly on TV so they could actually popular with the average punter.

Long story short I don’t think the raiders will be a disaster for ratings but I think it will be a relatively low rating final. Roosters/storm v raiders isn’t an ideal matchup even though on paper it looks amazing (underdog vs the big 2, very evenly matched teams).

As for GWS I’d say it will be similar to if the swans made it except with slightly worse ratings. Fewer people in Sydney and Australia care about GWS as do the swans.

Given Raiders success over Storm in recent weeks a Raiders v Storm final will grab the imagination and see a lot of Raiders for a day backers! Roosters v Souths will be huge because of the history. Worse case is Roosters v Raiders imo as most will see it as a forgone conclusion.

Billythekid

First Grade
Given Raiders success over Storm in recent weeks a Raiders v Storm final will grab the imagination and see a lot of Raiders for a day backers! Roosters v Souths will be huge because of the history. Worse case is Roosters v Raiders imo as most will see it as a forgone conclusion.

Also because the roosters aren’t a particularly well supported team. The storm at least boost viewership in Melbourne.

I don’t really agree that the raiders will grab the imagination of your average fan. Personally I agree that a raiders final against either side would be incredibly exciting and produce a damn good match but I’m not convinced the ratings will be big.

Surely even the NRL’s lacklustre marketing department could talk up Souths v roosters. Still think it will only be average ratings wise because it will only rate big in Sydney and even there a Souths v roosters final isn’t all that appetising IMO.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Also because the roosters aren’t a particularly well supported team. The storm at least boost viewership in Melbourne.

I don’t really agree that the raiders will grab the imagination of your average fan. Personally I agree that a raiders final against either side would be incredibly exciting and produce a damn good match but I’m not convinced the ratings will be big.

Surely even the NRL’s lacklustre marketing department could talk up Souths v roosters. Still think it will only be average ratings wise because it will only rate big in Sydney and even there a Souths v roosters final isn’t all that appetising IMO.

I'm guessing there is probably a relatively small swing of audiences depending on what clubs are playing anyway isnt there?
In theory of all the GF in recent years Storm v Cowboys should have tanked in TV audience but at 3.39million it did ok.
Storm V Roosters was lowest audience of recent years at 3.05mill.
The last big audience was 2014 when 3.95 million tuned in to watch Souths v Doggies.
The all Qland final in 2015 rated an avg of 3.6mill.
Storm v Sharks rated 3.7mill

So in conclusion the last few GF's have rated between 3mill to 3.9mill.

Billythekid

First Grade
I'm guessing there is probably a relatively small swing of audiences depending on what clubs are playing anyway isnt there?
In theory of all the GF in recent years Storm v Cowboys should have tanked in TV audience but at 3.39million it did ok.
Storm V Roosters was lowest audience of recent years at 3.05mill.
The last big audience was 2014 when 3.95 million tuned in to watch Souths v Doggies.
The all Qland final in 2015 rated an avg of 3.6mill.
Storm v Sharks rated 3.7mill

So in conclusion the last few GF's have rated between 3mill to 3.9mill.

I think that’s pretty fair. Not sure why you expected the cowboys storm to tank in ratings. Historically the storm attract big viewers on TV and draw decent numbers in Melbourne where the GF would otherwise struggle. The cowboys also bring big viewers in QLD and IMO tend to have good ratings despite the broncos getting all the priority.

I think what that shows is that having some sort of storyline or rivalry helps with ratings. Seeing Souths win a premiership for the first time in 40 years clearly brought the viewers in. The all QLD derby is one of the big rivalries at the moment and likewise the sharks and storm have a lot of bad blood between them.

The roosters and storm don’t really have a rivalry and were the clear best 2 teams. Also the roosters generally just aren’t all that popular.

Maybe the raiders could bring that story line to this years GF but I’m not sure I see it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just because Sydney and Brisbane remain the biggest single audiences and without a Sydney or Broncos team in it the attraction is lessor.

taipan

Referee
Think if we get Raiders v Storm in the G/F .Brisbane and Melbourne will boost G/F ratings because of the Storm factor.Sydney quite happy with the Raiders making it, less so the Roosters.