What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The devaluation of legend status

bileduct

Coach
What's the issue here? She hasn't been named as an immortal, she's not been inducted into the Hall of Fame...

Nuke

Staff member
There's an Origin book I saw in the shops the other day which had a forward / introduction by 'Queensland Origin legend Ben Ikin'.

Yep. Ben Ikin's an Origin legend these days too...:rolleyes:

no name

Coach
There's an Origin book I saw in the shops the other day which had a forward / introduction by 'Queensland Origin legend Ben Ikin'.

Yep. Ben Ikin's an Origin legend these days too...:rolleyes:
To be fair, I think the story behind Ikin’s debut pretty much puts him in the legend category.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/29/ruan-sims-remarkable-rugby-league-legacy/

So according to NRL.com, Ruan Sums is now a "legend" of the game. WTF?
The only "WTF" is that in the 21st Century we still have dopey kids who feel threatened by women and their achievements.

Of course Ruan Sims is a legend of the game. She has played rep football for state and country, captained NSW and Australia and is widely respected by her peers as a pioneer in the NRLW.

Only an idiot troll would try to devalue such achievements.

President Trump

Juniors
The only "WTF" is that in the 21st Century we still have dopey kids who feel threatened by women and their achievements.

Of course Ruan Sims is a legend of the game. She has played rep football for state and country, captained NSW and Australia and is widely respected by her peers as a pioneer in the NRLW.

Only an idiot troll would try to devalue such achievements.

Trent Barrett and Kurt Gidley were long-term rep players who captained their states as well, but that doesn't make them legends. It shouldn't be a status that is just handed out like candy as the media seems to want to do these days. But no surprises that you deflect the issue and inject an angry rant trying to stoke a gender war rather than focusing on facts and logic.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Trent Barrett and Kurt Gidley were long-term rep players who captained their states as well, but that doesn't make them legends. It shouldn't be a status that is just handed out like candy as the media seems to want to do these days
I'm curious as to when Trent Barrett captained his state. Which year was that?

You're comparing apples with oranges. But hey, that's what trolls do.
But no surprises that you deflect the issue and inject an angry rant trying to stoke a gender war rather than focusing on facts and logic.
lol. You must have lived a very sheltered existence if you call that angry.

I get it... everyone should be nice to you. After all, your posts are so positive, so open minded and without any disparagement whatsover... oh, and so focussed on "facts and logic".

Tell me, since when did a subjective viewpoint become a fact? Last time I checked, opinions were open to debate. Only an unreasonable person would consider their opinion to be the "only truth" and beyond argument.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Is she not regarded as one of the best players in her era, playing a part in the rise of the women's game?
Yes.

I actually went to the game at Leichhardt last Sunday. I'm glad I did, first time I've been the an NRLW fixture, and this one had an historical element due to it being the first standalone NRLW game.

I was there to barrack for Saints. But when Ruan scored that try for Easts under the posts, and it was a good forward's try, I was pretty happy because we knew it was her last game. She had a lot of support there and seemed to be an inspiration, particularly to the younger girls.

She may have retired from playing, but I suspect she'll be hanging around and helping at grass roots level for some time to come.

Maybe take the comps and mix them up on awards night.

There’s no reason why a young women player can’t score a better try than a guy and so forth.

It just depends what’s happening on the field.

The women seem a bit less arrogant than the guys.

Tedesco has his head stuck so far up his....

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
Maybe take the comps and mix them up on awards night.

There’s no reason why a young women player can’t score a better try than a guy and so forth.

It just depends what’s happening on the field.

The women seem a bit less arrogant than the guys.

Tedesco has his head stuck so far up his....
More explanation required for this thought...

More explanation required for this thought...

Well if a women player had an outstanding season, she can win the dally m.

If a girls team scores a great try, they can win try of the year over a guys team.

So compete equally for the best awards instead of separation on gender.

Some of the girls are far more exciting to watch play footy than the guys.

There are some sports like netball, where nobody really cares what the guys do.

I’d say water polo is even Stevens on male/female skill, combat and underwater violence. Our girls team is outstanding.

macnaz

Staff member
All I can add ..Roosters made the top 4 in NRLW 2 years in a row. :thumbsup:

yakstorm

First Grade
Won two World Cups, played in multiple Origin games, won NSW Women's competition Premiership with Cronulla-Caringbah, made a NRLW Grand Final, captained her club, state and country, plus had also won titles in Rugby Union and Rugby Sevens.

What more would she need to do in order to earn the title of 'legend'?

stryker

First Grade
Well if a women player had an outstanding season, she can win the dally m.

If a girls team scores a great try, they can win try of the year over a guys team.

So compete equally for the best awards instead of separation on gender.

Some of the girls are far more exciting to watch play footy than the guys.

There are some sports like netball, where nobody really cares what the guys do.

I’d say water polo is even Stevens on male/female skill, combat and underwater violence. Our girls team is outstanding.
I thought that is what you meant. Utterly ridiculous. If you want equality make the women play against the men. The annual NRL budget will have to include a contingency for body bags though....might be too expensive.

age.s

First Grade
Who cares? The media overhype players equally. Tyrone May was referred to as a "star" this year despite only having a handful of first grade games to his name.

Not interested in the NRLW personally but pick your battles ffs.

Latest posts