What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We Have Enough Cap Space to Buy Quality

Wittenberg

Juniors
Joey Leilua would be a great signing.

Rapana would be a great signing.

Oates would be a great signing, but I think he would be very expensive. If we signed him, I would try him at centre.
Rapana I think would be worth a tilt at, he has been injury prone of late but he is quality. Leilua for mine has too many brain snaps and is inconsistent but he is certainly a monster. Oates can have blinders but when I watch every Broncos game I wait for his dropped ball or spilt kick. He helps win many games but he loses a few as well.

The calm one

Juniors
Nothing wrong with digging potholes!
The world may be changing rapidly with technology but there will always be jobs for pothole diggers!
Actually now I think of it thats probably false....
The pothole digger can come to the forest with me. The tomato plants are ready to graduate from pots to the ground. :grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:. Stay calm

possm

Coach
Joey Leilua would be a great signing.

Rapana would be a great signing.

Oates would be a great signing, but I think he would be very expensive. If we signed him, I would try him at centre.
Yes but Millward has made such a mess of things that we will need a couple of seasons to rid ourselves of the plodders who will spend most of the season in reserve grade.

So far it looks like Timm, Field, Masters, Dufty and Aitken are on their way out the door. I only hope the salaries of Dufty and Aitken are not being subsidised.

I would like to think Frizell is staying but I doubt De Belins legal case will be concluded in early 2020, so I would play Fifita from the Broncos in the secondrow and move Frizell to lock. It looks like Graham will go around again in 2020 but most likely be injury prone. We will have some high price reserve graders running around in 2020 unless we can off-load them without subsidy.

For season 2020 we really need a new fullback and a replacement for De Belin;

1. Lomax - 300
2.. Saab - 150
3. Sailor - 300
4. J Leilua - 450
5. Oates - 500
6. Norman - 800
7. Hunt - 900
8. K Sims - 350
9. McInnes - 500
10. Vaughan - 600
11. T Sims - 500
12. Fifita - 750
13. Frizell - 600

14. Kerr - 200
15. Lawrie - 250
16. L Leilua - 250
17. Ford - 150

To me, the inclusion of J Leilua, Oats and Fifita gives the 17 better balance and more strike power.

Depending on the structure of football management staff, we may have a chance of being more competitive in 2020 with the above 17. I think it will all come down to attitude.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Yes but Millward has made such a mess of things that we will need a couple of seasons to rid ourselves of the plodders who will spend most of the season in reserve grade.

So far it looks like Timm, Field, Masters, Dufty and Aitken are on their way out the door. I only hope the salaries of Dufty and Aitken are not being subsidised.

I would like to think Frizell is staying but I doubt De Belins legal case will be concluded in early 2020, so I would play Fifita from the Broncos in the secondrow and move Frizell to lock. It looks like Graham will go around again in 2020 but most likely be injury prone. We will have some high price reserve graders running around in 2020 unless we can off-load them without subsidy.

For season 2020 we really need a new fullback and a replacement for De Belin;

1. Lomax - 300
2.. Saab - 150
3. Sailor - 300
4. J Leilua - 450
5. Oates - 500
6. Norman - 800
7. Hunt - 900
8. K Sims - 350
9. McInnes - 500
10. Vaughan - 600
11. T Sims - 500
12. Fifita - 750
13. Frizell - 600

14. Kerr - 200
15. Lawrie - 250
16. L Leilua - 250
17. Ford - 150

To me, the inclusion of J Leilua, Oats and Fifita gives the 17 better balance and more strike power.

Depending on the structure of football management staff, we may have a chance of being more competitive in 2020 with the above 17. I think it will all come down to attitude.
I would play Oates at centre, instead of Sailor. With Oates at centre, the only 2 positions in your hypothetical team that I wouldn't be happy with are K Sims and we would obviously need a winger. Maybe Ramsey or one of the Feagai brothers could be fast tracked as one of our wingers. I would love us to sign David Fifita, but I can't see it happening. I can't see us signing Oates either. Leilua is the only one who I think is a realistic idea, because he started off at our club, his family lives in the St George area, his brother plays for us and Canberra are trying to offload him, but I still doubt that we will sign him.

I am hoping that Flanno will be getting the team he wants over the next couple of years. I don't expect to be premiership contenders next year.

possm

Coach
Well I am very disappointed in our halves performance this year Norman, Hunt and Widdop all played below par as far as I'm concerned. Mary wass said to be conservative and where did that get us? I just hope we get Flanagan and a football manager in an effort to stem the tide.

Old Timer

Coach
Well I am very disappointed in our halves performance this year Norman, Hunt and Widdop all played below par as far as I'm concerned. Mary wass said to be conservative and where did that get us? I just hope we get Flanagan and a football manager in an effort to stem the tide.
FMD Hunt & Norman as halves played to the standard that they are namely a couple of good games here and there, otherwise bog average for most of the season.
Face reality that is the standard for them and they are not going to be any better than that.

getsmarty

Immortal
FMD Hunt & Norman as halves played to the standard that they are namely a couple of good games here and there, otherwise bog average for most of the season.
Face reality that is the standard for them and they are not going to be any better than that.

Give them a decent coach and gameplan and it all changes....

sack-mc-jpg.33219

received_533308900757343-jpeg.32895

red-v-sack-jpg.32760

This Year?

Immortal
Imagine paying those 2 frauds that kind of money while expecting the others who get half or a quarter of what they are on to perform.

Old Timer

Coach
Give them a decent coach and gameplan and it all changes....

sack-mc-jpg.33219

received_533308900757343-jpeg.32895

red-v-sack-jpg.32760
I think we saw both of them under good coaches previously and that’s why they now play for us.
As bad as Mc Fookknuckle is Norman & Hunt are only spasmodically good and that was evident well prior to them playing under him.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Hard to really judge Norman and Hunt. Potentially, they could be a dynamic pairing as halves, however, it all xomes back to our game plan. Forward (or winger) hit up, play the ball. Pass straight to another forward hit up, play the ball. Pass to another forward hit up, play the ball. Play 4 another forward hit up, play the ball. We reach play 5 where we normally use a sweep play out to either Hunt or Norman (or Widdop when he was 5/8) then to either centre. Play 6 Hunt or Norman kick down field.

4 plays burnt in the power play, 1 sweep play then a kick. Hard for our halves to he creative in this structure. Even when we are attacking in the opposition 20 its basically the same plan.

I'm not defending Hunt or Norman here, but they should fake some matters into their own hands, rather than meander aroubd with Mc85mins game plan.

Let's see if the addition of a smart assistant will change this. If if doesn't then Clune (I'm hoping he gets a full time fontract), young Sullivan and/or Wishart had better prepare themselves quickly.

possm

Coach
Hunt selected out of position, Norman selected in desperation for a win. Both coached at SOO by better coaching staff with a real plan.

For SGI they did not perform to the level that they were being paid.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Hard to really judge Norman and Hunt. Potentially, they could be a dynamic pairing as halves, however, it all xomes back to our game plan. Forward (or winger) hit up, play the ball. Pass straight to another forward hit up, play the ball. Pass to another forward hit up, play the ball. Play 4 another forward hit up, play the ball. We reach play 5 where we normally use a sweep play out to either Hunt or Norman (or Widdop when he was 5/8) then to either centre. Play 6 Hunt or Norman kick down field.

4 plays burnt in the power play, 1 sweep play then a kick. Hard for our halves to he creative in this structure. Even when we are attacking in the opposition 20 its basically the same plan.

I'm not defending Hunt or Norman here, but they should fake some matters into their own hands, rather than meander aroubd with Mc85mins game plan.

Let's see if the addition of a smart assistant will change this. If if doesn't then Clune (I'm hoping he gets a full time fontract), young Sullivan and/or Wishart had better prepare themselves quickly.
It's so easy to fix it's a wonder our dimwitted coach wasn't awake to this.
Look into the fine print of NRL rules.
Rule No.35(E)
If your club has a below par coach ie. can't make the 8 in consecutive years they are allowed a power play where the opposition must allow them to get into opposition half the match sometimes during the match.
Failing this the referee is allowed to forget his tackle count until team with below par coach gets into opposition half.

Dragsters

First Grade

I reckon the best our halves have looked for ages was early 2018 when Hunt & widdop were playing on the same side to each other and kicking for each other close to the line....

getsmarty

Immortal
I think we saw both of them under good coaches previously and that’s why they now play for us.
As bad as Mc Fookknuckle is Norman & Hunt are only spasmodically good and that was evident well prior to them playing under him.

Disagree.... more to it...Coach should be called McShackler...

Old Timer

Coach
Hunt selected out of position, Norman selected in desperation for a win. Both coached at SOO by better coaching staff with a real plan.

For SGI they did not perform to the level that they were being paid.
We purchased Hunt as a half and it is only Kevin Walters that thinks he is a better hooker than a half and that is because the Qld stocks for hookers is so poor after Cameron Smith.
Norman was a left field nomination for SOO and will not represent at that level ever again IMO.
Both are well short of top shelf quality (Johnny Walker Red both of them) and are not worth anywhere near what we pay them (Single Malt) and that is the only reason they play with us as we throw lifelines to players that are "exited" from other clubs for under performing when it counts.
That is the reality of the situation.

Latest posts