What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 month countdown.........

ReddFelon

Juniors
Anything less than confirmation of Perth and another team (personally I prefer Adelaide, but it'll most likely be Brisbane #2) for the 2023 season will be an outright failure in my view. Unfortunately, given this is Todd Greenberg I expect him to say something like "we'll be adding an Adelaide team to the NSW Cup in 2030 and that is all we are considering on expansion"

flippikat

Bench
Anything less than confirmation of Perth and another team (personally I prefer Adelaide, but it'll most likely be Brisbane #2) for the 2023 season will be an outright failure in my view. Unfortunately, given this is Todd Greenberg I expect him to say something like "we'll be adding an Adelaide team to the NSW Cup in 2030 and that is all we are considering on expansion"

What I *REALLY* hope for.

* Perth and one other club joining the NRL (Probably Brisbane 2) for the next TV deal, making 18 teams & an extra game per weekend.

* Identification of potential markets for the FOLLOWING expansion. A shortlist would be good, and give the game a real focus beyond the next TV deal for the first time.

* Plans to grow the game in those markets, with that next expansion in mind. (If we want Adelaide or NZ 2 or Brisbane 3 or Melbourne 2 or Perth 2 down the line, the groundwork starts NOW)

* A framework for how a new club joins the NRL. Do they play in NSW or Qld cup for a season or two before the NRL debut? Do they get any "start-up" concessions? Stuff like that. Once there's a process, it can be replicated for each expansion to give new clubs the best possible start.

It has to be about MORE than this upcoming expansion with the next TV deal - adding Brisbane 2 and Perth alone isn't enough.

The NRL needs to set itself up for further markets.. and the work needs to start on that ASAP, or else we'll get to the late 2020s and have to play catch-up all over again.

Now, as far as NSW goes (including North Sydney & the Central Coast).. I'm of the opinion it should be a "zero sum game" - no new NSW teams unless its relocation or replacement of another NSW team. I'm not convinced that Sydney can sustain the clubs it has, long term.. but it's certainly not the time to be adding more when external expansion is a prospect.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach

* Perth and one other club joining the NRL (Probably Brisbane 2) for the next TV deal, making 18 teams & an extra game per weekend.

* Identification of potential markets for the FOLLOWING expansion. A shortlist would be good, and give the game a real focus beyond the next TV deal for the first time.

* Plans to grow the game in those markets, with that next expansion in mind. (If we want Adelaide or NZ 2 or Brisbane 3 or Melbourne 2 or Perth 2 down the line, the groundwork starts NOW)

* A framework for how a new club joins the NRL. Do they play in NSW or Qld cup for a season or two before the NRL debut? Do they get any "start-up" concessions? Stuff like that. Once there's a process, it can be replicated for each expansion to give new clubs the best possible start.

It has to be about MORE than this upcoming expansion with the next TV deal - adding Brisbane 2 and Perth alone isn't enough.

The NRL needs to set itself up for further markets.. and the work needs to start on that ASAP, or else we'll get to the late 2020s and have to play catch-up all over again.

They've made headway with PNG and now Fiji past few years since being at the helm, so player pool depth there is covered, most teams now have png or fijian players coming thru the ranks, aswell as pacific Is. Surely you have to say the enough player pool depth issue, isnt an issue by 2023, that means minimum 2 more teams. I mean solomona kata moved to the storm mid season, and still didn't get a game, a perth team would have him in 1st grade.

You'd have to think that perth is the next real expansion by really focusing on grassroots to building a club worthy of an NRL licence but unless a club up and goes there now its most likely not going to happen soon, and with brisbane#2 its easy throw a license up in the air at suncorp, and see which club there ends up with it, no need to flesh out any market data or consumer surveys, just make it an old fashion slogfest & rumble for it! (Bombers have no chance without actually being a club) Ipswich, Redcliffe, Souths-Logan, etc.
Any of these are viable if they get $9m in salary cap for player talent, and not to mention a great incentive to motivate and reward clubs in lower tier comps to be better to eventually join the comp.
NRL just need a guy like gould or whoever to walk into those newer clubs over a period and help or monitor how they are run in comparison to other NRL clubs, to not let them turn into another Titans,

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
Any of these are viable if they get $9m in salary cap for player talent, and not to mention a great incentive to motivate and reward clubs in lower tier comps to be better to eventually join the comp.
NRL just need a guy like gould or whoever to walk into those newer clubs over a period and help or monitor how they are run in comparison to other NRL clubs, to not let them turn into another Titans,

Yep.. the key thing is that there needs to be a clear and replicable "expansion team process" going from the initial identification, through gearing up to NRL status, then not being cannon-fodder in their first few seasons.

A process that can be used for all new NRL clubs.

MugaB

Coach
Yep.. the key thing is that there needs to be a clear and replicable "expansion team process" going from the initial identification, through gearing up to NRL status, then not being cannon-fodder in their first few seasons.

A process that can be used for all new NRL clubs.
Get politis to visit all the clubs and show how to run a club, without juniors, and sombrero cap management, forget mal, get nick up to the gold coast asap

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Now, as far as NSW goes (including North Sydney & the Central Coast).. I'm of the opinion it should be a "zero sum game" - no new NSW teams unless its relocation or replacement of another NSW team. I'm not convinced that Sydney can sustain the clubs it has, long term.. but it's certainly not the time to be adding more when external expansion is a prospect.

@flippikat for NRL CEO

Reactions: Vee

flippikat

Bench

Lol.. thanks. But it boils down to two points for me.

* To truly match-it with other codes, we need to plan for the next TWO phases of expansion (at least), and not just the next TV deal. I don't think our administrators have done that before.

* Expansion is easier if you have a comprehensive "on-boarding/induction" process that helps new clubs get the best start they can. (Sound familiar? It's kinda what the AFL try to do.. we can take some lessions from that)

Diesel

Referee
At what point did the NRL cycle revolve around a TV deal? Was it about the time the independent commission started and News left the game, say 2012?

I never remember tv being mentioned as a driving factor in the game when the NRL was getting a fraction of what they are getting now

flippikat

Bench
At what point did the NRL cycle revolve around a TV deal? Was it about the time the independent commission started and News left the game, say 2012?

I never remember tv being mentioned as a driving factor in the game when the NRL was getting a fraction of what they are getting now

Good point. I'm not sure whether the 'mega expansion' of 1995 (or 3 new teams in 1988, come to think of it) coincided with a new TV rights deal.. but I guess nowdays from a logistical angle it has to be factored into the broadcast rights cycle.

If the NRL was to add teams in the middle of a TV deal, surely that's a breach of contract with the current broadcasters. ("Hey, we signed up to cover a competition under THESE parameters.. and you're wanting to change it mid-term?")

Whether the broadcaster is Pay-TV, Free-to-Air, Internet Streaming or Radio.. and regardless of whether it's News or not, it's far easier to change a competition's structure when a new deal begins.

Diesel

Referee
With V’landys preference not to lose a Sydney team, what happens if a club falls over with a 30% grant on top of the cap?

Perth Red

Post Whore
With V’landys preference not to lose a Sydney team, what happens if a club falls over with a 30% grant on top of the cap?

Greenberg’s claim that nrl won’t bail out clubs anymore is as legit as their claim they took back control of scheduling. They won’t let anyone fall over.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Greenberg’s claim that nrl won’t bail out clubs anymore is as legit as their claim they took back control of scheduling. They won’t let anyone fall over.

Yeah, pretty much every generation of RL administration that I can remember going back to Kevin Humphreys in the 70s has unequivocally promised that they won't bail out clubs anymore, and then bailed out a club a few years down the track.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Yeah, pretty much every generation of RL administration that I can remember going back to Kevin Humphreys in the 70s has unequivocally promised that they won't bail out clubs anymore, and then bailed out a club a few years down the track.

Yeah... my guess is that the GC Titans will require another bailout a few years down the track... and probably a few years after that..

taipan

Referee

It won't be Adelaide, Brisbane 2 is too valuable for Tv ratings ,compared to what Adelaide would offer.

Latest posts