What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World 9s 2019

ReddFelon

Juniors
"I think 9s is a much better game than 7s" Is Brandy talking about RL 7s? I hope he's not seriously making a comparison to actual Rugby Sevens because if he is, he's a dumbass.

jim_57

Staff member
"I think 9s is a much better game than 7s" Is Brandy talking about RL 7s? I hope he's not seriously making a comparison to actual Rugby Sevens because if he is, he's a dumbass.

He was talking about RL 7's. About 20 seconds before he said that he was asked if he enjoyed playing in one of the old 7's tournaments.

ReddFelon

Juniors
He was talking about RL 7's. About 20 seconds before he said that he was asked if he enjoyed playing in one of the old 7's tournaments.
Ahh touche, missed that part. 9s definitely has potential, needs a world series style tournament the way Sevens does it. Would be a useful developmental tool for young players.

jim_57

Staff member
Ahh touche, missed that part. 9s definitely has potential, needs a world series style tournament the way Sevens does it. Would be a useful developmental tool for young players.

At the very least I think we should have:

9's World Cup, every 2 years (before and after World Cup. 12-16 teams.

NRL 9's - 16 NRL teams + PNG Hunters, Kaiviti Silktails, NSW Cup & QCup champs. 20 teams.

SL 9's - 12 SL teams + Top 3 Championship + Elite 1 Champions. 16 teams.

Rotate venues to keep it fresh and try and build from there. I definitely think there is a place for it.

NRLMad

Juniors
Some surprising results, should do better tomorrow crowd wise. I can’t see why clubs etc aren’t asked To help Promote the game

greenBV4

Bench
NRL 9's - 16 NRL teams + PNG Hunters, Kaiviti Silktails, NSW Cup & QCup champs. 20 teams.

Rotate venues to keep it fresh and try and build from there. I definitely think there is a place for it.
Could even work as a 9's invitational, rotate between UK and AUS, made up of 16 clubs from whatever comp wants in, get a bit more competition between NRL and SL that way

Perth Red

Post Whore
Very enjoyable matches tonight. As usual our great game on the pitch let down by total merkins in the front office who couldn’t organise a pss up in the little creatures brewery,

Perth Red

Post Whore
Could even work as a 9's invitational, rotate between UK and AUS, made up of 16 clubs from whatever comp wants in, get a bit more competition between NRL and SL that way

going to be interesting to see how many fans go to the club nines in perth. Feb in perth is stinking hot so going to be hard work being in the stadium for 6 hours. Regularly decant’s to The Brisbane pub might be needed!

latingringo101

Juniors
Watched all matches last night and must admit it surpassed my expectations both of quality of matches and crowd interest.

By the time the auz vs NZ mens match happened it looked like there was at least 15 K there which was descent for a Friday night in Sydney event.

Hopefully day 2 has similar feel and atmosphere like day 1!

siv

First Grade
I refreshing viewing yesterday

9s had a pre season feel

Like a entre for the up coming international 6 week period

Something that the PMXIII match cannot achieve

My other thought was it would go down well in PNG

NRLMad

Juniors
What’s needed is a bit of hype and prime tv. People care about their countries. I miss seeing the cultural components - e.g. haka, I know we want to be fast but it’s taking away from the Occassion. Suppressed versions maybe? But maybe that is just a gimmick I don’t know

Why oh why is it Friday from 6pm - how many parents are going to say oh you know what let’s watch the footy from 630-10pm? Illogical stuff

hutch

First Grade
At the very least I think we should have:

9's World Cup, every 2 years (before and after World Cup. 12-16 teams.

Sensational idea!!!
(Which means it probably won’t happen)

jim_57

Staff member
Sensational idea!!!
(Which means it probably won’t happen)

Definitely needs a little something different, I feel like the NRL nines will go stale again if they keep it as just the 16 NRL clubs. Make it 4 pools of 5 and throw a QLD/NSW Cup side in each. Maybe even add a stipulation that the QCup/NSW Cup side can select a few former players or local products to make it even more interesting.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Definitely needs a little something different, I feel like the NRL nines will go stale again if they keep it as just the 16 NRL clubs. Make it 4 pools of 5 and throw a QLD/NSW Cup side in each. Maybe even add a stipulation that the QCup/NSW Cup side can select a few former players or local products to make it even more interesting.

they should have put in an invitational NRLWA side into next years just for a bit more Interest for fans. Could have got waqa blake, ponga and got Curtis Rona back to be in it.

jim_57

Staff member
they should have put in an invitational NRLWA side into next years just for a bit more Interest for fans. Could have got waqa blake, ponga and got Curtis Rona back to be in it.

Either that or just play the Pirates with a few former WA players like you mention to get some recognition out there for the team and their NRL bid.

taste2taste

Juniors
Hopefully the organisers don't get too discouraged by the small turn out.

luckily the Wolfpack and State of Origin didn't give up after their early days of tiny crowds.

Clarkent

Juniors
Hopefully the organisers don't get too discouraged by the small turn out.

luckily the Wolfpack and State of Origin didn't give up after their early days of tiny crowds.
I don't think they we're expecting a full crowd straight away... But they need to stick with this idea every year... People are gonna enjoy this and want more... Been loving every game