What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World 9s 2019

Burns

First Grade
So who wins this thing anyway? Australia? Does Australia need to lose for this to be a success?

adamkungl

Immortal
So who wins this thing anyway? Australia? Does Australia need to lose for this to be a success?

As much as we hope for variation in winners, Australia losing doesn't really determine a successful event, we need to get away from this mindset.

Eg.
England winning 2017 RLWC might have made it a slightly more memorable final, but it wouldnt change the fundamentals
-poor scheduling and venues
-underwhelming crowds
-no real follow up capitalisation by Australia
-calendar still constantly shifting to the NRLs whims

Successful international scene will be built on getting the above right, not hoping someone flukes a win against Aus.
NZ has beat us a bunch of times and is still a mess.

The biggest success out of 9s will be a healthy crowd, positive press, and an immediate follow up announcement on how the RLIF and NRL will capitalise on it.

MKCS

Juniors
If this doesn't draw a crowd I'd like to see the Nines go regional to 10-15 thousand seat stadiums. WIN Stadium is hosting the international Aus Vs NZ game and would be a great location for it. I guess it comes down to how much the people in charge of sport here want it.

Even Townsville, Central Coast, Newcastle seem like good ideas.

Burns

First Grade
As much as we hope for variation in winners, Australia losing doesn't really determine a successful event, we need to get away from this mindset.

Eg.
England winning 2017 RLWC might have made it a slightly more memorable final, but it wouldnt change the fundamentals
-poor scheduling and venues
-underwhelming crowds
-no real follow up capitalisation by Australia
-calendar still constantly shifting to the NRLs whims

Successful international scene will be built on getting the above right, not hoping someone flukes a win against Aus.
NZ has beat us a bunch of times and is still a mess.

The biggest success out of 9s will be a healthy crowd, positive press, and an immediate follow up announcement on how the RLIF and NRL will capitalise on it.
Why you gotta hit me this brutal logic Adam

I think there will be good press on the event, it’s a bit of fun after all. I think I read somewhere that the next 9’s World Cup will be in 2023. I wonder if we’ll get some sort of other format before than?

adamkungl

Immortal
Why you gotta hit me this brutal logic Adam

I think there will be good press on the event, it’s a bit of fun after all. I think I read somewhere that the next 9’s World Cup will be in 2023. I wonder if we’ll get some sort of other format before than?

Yeah. Need to be having international 9s events annually from here. There are potentially some interesting format options that could get it off the ground, I doubt we have the funding to go the whole hog and copy the Union circuit.

roughyedspud

Coach
Yeah and then we'll hear about how international footy isn't sustainable hence why we can't expand and play more tests.

Cos "Australia" is trying to organise it all...and failing miserably....again....on purpose .....they put in just enough effort to make it look like they give a shit but not enough to make it successful.....cos that would impact origin & the NRL

adamkungl

Immortal
would need a money laundering international bank to finance it. doesn't even matter if no one turns up.

My dream* format is:

A circuit of 8x top tier 9s comps annually, 1 in each continent for 6, +1 extra in Australia and England.
The locations in each continent aren't set like Union, RLIF member countries bid for hosting.

Supported by a smaller series in each region with second-tier teams participating for qualification into the top-tier.

World Cup every 4 years instead of /in addition to the circuit? Not sure about this.

*where money is flowing happily and the sport can afford to invest in such things

In the meantime.. a lower cost option:

World Cup every 4 years
Annual regional/continental tournaments in the 3 years in between to qualify participants into the World Cup.

Eg.
2019: 4x Semi finalists of 2019 WC qualify for 2023 WC.

2020-2022
Annual major tournament in each region: Asia-Pacific, MEA, Europe, Americas
Winner of each region each year gains qualification to the World Cup. (4 regions, 3 years = 12 qualifiers*)
A ranking ladder in each region is also tallied over 3 years.
If the end of the 3 years there are not 16 qualifiers (some tournament winners already qualified) the next best ranked from each region qualify.

2023 9s World Cup in France
16 teams, minimum 3 from each of 4 regions qualified as above

TLDR of above;

For this 9s concept to be successful, we need to see some succession into a meaningful format starting from next year.

In Australia, that means hopefully an NRL 9s in Feb (could live without this going forward, to be replaced by Internationals) and Asia-Pacific 9s at the end of the year

Asia-Pacific 9s:
Australia
New Zealand
Tonga
Samoa
Fiji
PNG
Cook Islands
Vanuatu
Niue
Solomon Islands
Philippines
Thailand
Hong Kong
Japan
India
China?

Elsewhere, regional tournaments to mirror

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
Cos "Australia" is trying to organise it all...and failing miserably....again....on purpose .....they put in just enough effort to make it look like they give a shit but not enough to make it successful.....cos that would impact origin & the NRL
If not for this forum I wouldn't even have known it was on this week and I live in Sydney.

adamkungl

Immortal
If not for this forum I wouldn't even have known it was on this week and I live in Sydney.

They had ads at every NRL finals match
Loads of stories and ads on NRL media since the GF
I dunno if there have been TV ads, don't think I've switched broadcast TV on since the semis..
For better or for worse, it's been mentioned dozens of times in the news due to the Tonga saga

Not sure what more they can do promotion-wise.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Should have thought out side the box...this whole week should have been community and school visit...on Thursday or Friday have a parade with all the players....have a sprint race..competitons everyday online with free tickets to the winners...

God I don't know buy a car and use it to as prize before the final....

mikail-eagle

Bench
72260712_823203694744279_2196718253978419200_n.jpg

PNG Kumuls Jersey for the 9's.

Matua

Bench
They had ads at every NRL finals match
Loads of stories and ads on NRL media since the GF
I dunno if there have been TV ads, don't think I've switched broadcast TV on since the semis..
For better or for worse, it's been mentioned dozens of times in the news due to the Tonga saga

Not sure what more they can do promotion-wise.
I watch the games on Kayo so don't see ads ... I don't watch broadcast tv at all.

I haven't seen any billboards or advertising for it around the city which you generally see for big sporting events. It just hasn't been marketed very well.

Well you must not be very interested then.
Not really the point though is it. See above re: the marketing.

Springs09

Juniors
I watch the games on Kayo so don't see ads ... I don't watch broadcast tv at all.

I haven't seen any billboards or advertising for it around the city which you generally see for big sporting events. It just hasn't been marketed very well.

Not really the point though is it. See above re: the marketing.

Yes, it is the point. How many sporting events have big billboards and advertising all around the city for months in advance?
Anyone with even the slightest interest in rugby league would know there are 9s on, and any one with the slightest interest in the 9s would know when.

It's like when everyone blamed the marketing for low crowds in the World Cup. I went to Canberra for a game and I couldn't escape ads for the games, they were everywhere.

Some people aren't happy until the NRL knocks on the door and shoves a poster in their face.

Matua

Bench
Yes, it is the point. How many sporting events have big billboards and advertising all around the city for months in advance?
Anyone with even the slightest interest in rugby league would know there are 9s on, and any one with the slightest interest in the 9s would know when.

It's like when everyone blamed the marketing for low crowds in the World Cup. I went to Canberra for a game and I couldn't escape ads for the games, they were everywhere.

Some people aren't happy until the NRL knocks on the door and shoves a poster in their face.
Who said anything about months in advance? It's the week of the competition and I've seen nothing about them. When the rugby 7s were held in Sydney they had banners up and events around Darling Harbour promoting them. Origin and the GF are the only things that get blanket promotion in the city and they're going to the crowds regardless. Seems Canberra is the place to be for marketing.

Latest posts