What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Well said. Except, I think you'll find that Labour was in charge at a state and federal level when the majority of these major new gas development projects were signed off. They missed a chance to ensure energy security for the country and the rest of us are paying for that incompetence.

Don't let that get in the way of a good rant though.

yeh, they started it, no arguments there, but look at the extent to which it has been managed to get to this point, its totally out of control now

Bandwagon

Staff member
Well said. Except, I think you'll find that Labour was in charge at a state and federal level when the majority of these major new gas development projects were signed off. They missed a chance to ensure energy security for the country and the rest of us are paying for that incompetence.

Don't let that get in the way of a good rant though.

That's still being overly simplistic to push a point, energy policy as a whole has been a partisan clusterf**k for well over a decade now. The only issue that both the majors seem to act in a remotely bi-partisan manner upon is the importance of ensuring favourable conditions for the corporate sector to invest, which despite their protestations has invariably meant that Joe public has been f**ked over.

The situation we have here is just the latest instalment of decades of attempts to grab short term cash without any real long term planning.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yes I think Gillard started the gas thing. All the same, the LNP have been at the wheel for a considerable period and have done little to remedy the issue.

What grates everyone’s gears is that companies like Santos extract (our) LPG resources, export it at a price which is way beyond traditional domestic rates and then force us pay for our gas at those inflated rates that the international market pay.

AND just to rub salt in the wounds, the pay NO tax.
Not easy to unwind agreements that were signed under Rudd, Gillard and Bligh. I saw the push from the LNG companies first hand. The government folded on anything related to energy security. Major missed opportunity.

That said, could the current governments be doing more to remedy that f**k up? Definitely.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
That's still being overly simplistic to push a point, energy policy as a whole has been a partisan clusterf**k for well over a decade now. The only issue that both the majors seem to act in a remotely bi-partisan manner upon is the importance of ensuring favourable conditions for the corporate sector to invest, which despite their protestations has invariably meant that Joe public has been f**ked over.

The situation we have here is just the latest instalment of decades of attempts to grab short term cash without any real long term planning.
I agree with your point but you haven't made mine redundant. Those things DID happen under labor. I don't typically become partisan but I couldn't leave Twizzle's ridiculously partisan (and inaccurate) comment unchallenged.

But yes, more bipartisanship and progressive thinking on issues of energy security is needed from BOTH sides of politics.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I agree with your point but you haven't made mine redundant. Those things DID happen under labor. I don't typically become partisan but I couldn't leave Twizzle's ridiculously partisan (and inaccurate) comment unchallenged.

But yes, more bipartisanship and progressive thinking on issues of energy security is needed from BOTH sides of politics.

I'm not trying to make your point redundant, I'm simply pointing out it isn't that cut and dried.

I mean if we wanted to go tit for tat I could point to the fact that when it comes to those approvals, the government of the day has to deal with them under the legislation of the day, and again that legislation is a product of inaction over that particular issue over decades of governments of both flavors.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I'm not trying to make your point redundant, I'm simply pointing out it isn't that cut and dried.

I mean if we wanted to go tit for tat I could point to the fact that when it comes to those approvals, the government of the day has to deal with them under the legislation of the day, and again that legislation is a product of inaction over that particular issue over decades of governments of both flavors.
Except that the legislation didn't prevent the government of the day signing energy agreements that secured domestic supply. That's patently untrue.

So I believe tit is now beating tat.

Go tits!

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Staff member
Except that the legislation didn't prevent the government of the day signing energy agreements that secured domestic supply. That's patently untrue.

So I believe tit is now beating tat.

Go tits!

Without enabling legislation they could do no such deal.

Bandwagon

Staff member
frilled-lizard-shutterstock_725750464.jpg

Latest posts