What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Some crazy totally unreliable rumours on social media at the moment:

DCE - Broncos
Foran - Manly
Reynolds - dogs
Fifita - Souths / roosters (reported in media)
Matterson - sharks have no interest in him
Moylan - tigers. Tigers have asked sharks about possible swap for Matterson. But Moylan / sharks not interested.

Glenneel

Bench
Says who?

I have no idea what our cap position is, but if we do have anywhere near $1mill left for 2021 (and possibly next year if we can wrangle it) after extending Drown and Mahoney then why not spend it on a genuine elite player in a position we need to fill like Fifita?

Sure we could get 2 strong nrl players (an edge and middle forward) for the same coin, but they won’t be game breakers. I’m also not sure we NEED another middle in order to make us contenders. People forget that this year’s middle rotation got us a fifth finish and we’ve already strengthened it with the addition of RCG. At worst that shouldn’t weaken us and realistically, should improve us. The addition of Fifita would infinitely improve our edges on this season and with the continued improvement of Moses and Drown, along with Blake getting more time in our backline, we should be a top 4 side challenging for the 2021 premiership.

We have a window and we need to give ourselves the best opportunity to take advantage of it.
Agree Happy. We already have Junior, Evans, RCG, Alvaro, Terepo, Kaufusi and potentially Stefano, that's 7, middles in a 30 man squad. Do we need more, I doubt it. Need to strengthen a position we're short in and that is edge forward, fullback and perhaps centre.

How much do we have in the cap? Rough guess is Mannah, Ma'u and Moeroa have left us with $1.5m and perhaps more. However the upgrade of Sivo and Drown will probably take $700k (Sivo $300k/Drown $400k) so what do we have left? Both Blake and RCG have come into the squad, Blake probably on $500k and RCG about the same so do we even have a decent amount left to offer Fifita? Guess we'll see if we're mentioned in proceedings to get him but he'll cost around $800k I guess. But he'll definitely open a premiership window for us but only if we get our defence in order which leads to another discussion. Is BA the coach able to get us there???.

Avenger

Immortal
I'd take Matterson and another experienced prop/middle forward before Fafita.

I'd also take Cameron Murray (if he was available) before Fafita.

Glenneel

Bench
Well the Fifita talk was fun while it lasted. I’m still more than happy with Matto if true, quality player and we won’t have lost anything on the edge.
And still have money up our sleeve. Maybe Tigs can take Alvaro and Terepo off us as a swap? If so we then need another middle.

Last edited:

Tooooks

Bench
I dont know how to copy a link from the NRL app but here's a quote from Fifita from an article titled "She will make the call: Mother knows best as Fifita weighs up future" NRL.com article by Brad Walter:

"Sydney is a nice place but that city area is not me," he said. "I couldn't live in Sydney. It is too busy."

Of course, this probably means nothing because we all feel and think very differently when we're 19. Interesting quote in the context of the Souths/Easts rumour though.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I dont know how to copy a link from the NRL app but here's a quote from Fifita from an article titled "She will make the call: Mother knows best as Fifita weighs up future" NRL.com article by Brad Walter:

"Sydney is a nice place but that city area is not me," he said. "I couldn't live in Sydney. It is too busy."

Of course, this probably means nothing because we all feel and think very differently when we're 19. Interesting quote in the context of the Souths/Easts rumour though.
Brisbane is not exactly a country town.

emjaycee

Coach

Parramatta is smaller than Brisbane as a city and rural Dural is not far from oir new CoE

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
How much do we have in the cap? Rough guess is Mannah, Ma'u and Moeroa have left us with $1.5m.

No no no, I hate it when it’s suggested that because such and such aren’t re-signed we now have their current contract as being available the following year as cap space!!

It just doesn’t work like that, as the club wouId be assembling the following years squad/spending the cap without them being factored into it!! They were never signed for 2020 so they don’t free up anything!!

Bazal

Post Whore
We've got enough middles really. RCG fills any minor need we really had there, so not sure why people think we need more when as it stands we literally have like two FG quality edge forwards. Three if you count Taka as first grade quality for some reason.

Paulo, Evans, Brown, RCG, Alvaro is a pretty damned good middle rotation, with Terepo as back up, Niukore and Lane able to spend time there and young guns in Kaufusi and Utokimanu potentially ready to break out and take Alvaro or Evans' spot.

Definitely far greater need on the edge so if we can get Fifita (pipe dream IMO) or Matterson then we absolutely should

84 Baby

Referee
Lane, Nikore, Mau all played in the middle this past season.
Niukore is a combo forward so of course he did.
Mau/Lane would have only done so because Taka or Salmon came on, assuming of course they weren’t straight swaps and last season I don’t think Lane especially but also Mau spent any time in middle. At least not with any sort of regularity that gives credence to some weird BA bash shoehorn. Why does it even matter if they played some time in middle?
At least El Diablo & Haynetrain didn’t make up reasons for not wanting BA, they just called him bald...