What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

Danish

Referee
How did Fittler abandon his own son?

I’ve read his autobiography, he did not abandon his kid with some women who he had a stand with back in the mid 90’s. She didn’t want anything to do with him and never made contact again after telling him about it a year later. She didn’t let the baby near him after either.

Fittler is a very active father to 2 kids, he would never abandon his family.

I suppose you also read the interviews as well where he said he would have liked a “say” in the pregnancy. I think we all know what that means.

I read his book and he was not kept from his son. He basically just paid her child support and never so much as said hello to him since. I’m sure the son appreciated reading in the same book about fittler feeling proud when his “first child” was born though.

A real man would find a way to be in his son’s life.

unforgiven

Bench
And yet the NSWRL is still not happy with his comments. Have they seen the video? Maybe someone should tell them he said it wasn’t the reason he was dropped.... lol why did he even bring up the anthem protest months after he was dropped? You blokes cannot read between the lines at all.
Have you seen the video?

He was asked if it was the reason he was dropped and he replied with no it wasn't the reason and then stated he was distracted due to issues with his brother.

Tiger5150

Bench
Have you seen the video?

He was asked if it was the reason he was dropped and he replied with no it wasn't the reason and then stated he was distracted due to issues with his brother.

Why watch the video when you can read between the lines?

Last edited:

lynx000

Juniors
I feel sorry for Latrell. I think he is listening to the wrong people and getting some bad advice, but at the same time he is being subjected to a sustained media campaign which is trying to portray him as negatively as it can.

He is clearly a talent and I hope he makes the right decision for his career (which I really believe would be to stay at the Roosters if that is at all possible). He seems like a decent kid who is just a bit lost at the moment with too many whispers in his ears.

Tiger5150

Bench
I feel sorry for Latrell. I think he is listening to the wrong people and getting some bad advice, but at the same time he is being subjected to a sustained media campaign which is trying to portray him as negatively as it can.

He is clearly a talent and I hope he makes the right decision for his career (which I really believe would be to stay at the Roosters if that is at all possible). He seems like a decent kid who is just a bit lost at the moment with too many whispers in his ears.

Totally agree with this, and I worry for him that with the bullshit media campaign, it will push him further into the arms of hangers on that are advising him. I saw on social media today that the people that made the Adam Goodes movie are wanting to talk to him. That would be a bad result for him. The media could ruin this kid and for what? Clicks?

Chook Norris

First Grade
I've pretty much refrained from commenting on this. I think it's sad how all this has turned out. And I hope people soon start laying off him.

The media have done a terrible job with the constant rumours and Latrell has been managed poorly in biting at all the rumours coming his way. Hopefully the Roosters can help him out soon and get his mind back to a steady rhythm through training.

fowlster

Juniors
The media have done a terrible job with the constant rumours and Latrell has been managed poorly in biting at all the rumours coming his way. Hopefully the Roosters can help him out soon and get his mind back to a steady rhythm through training.

I disagree.
The media are doing their job perfectly. We are all gobbling it up and belching loudly as evidenced in this thread.
I do agree that he has been poorly managed by his cohort of advisors, but he does have an ego that has been (and will be) a challenge for any club that accepts the level of high maintenance required.
Not gunna lie.
I hope the Roosters are that club.

Chook Norris

First Grade
I disagree.
The media are doing their job perfectly. We are all gobbling it up and belching loudly as evidenced in this thread.
I do agree that he has been poorly managed by his cohort of advisors, but he does have an ego that has been (and will be) a challenge for any club that accepts the level of high maintenance required.
Not gunna lie.
I hope the Roosters are that club.

They've done a great job for them and their investors.

I meant that they've done a terrible job in basically executing a character assassination. And we've all gobbled it up

They've done a great job for them and their investors.

I meant that they've done a terrible job in basically executing a character assassination. And we've all gobbled it up

Have we? I think the majority on here have blamed his management team and Mundine. Thinking that he’s not a player deserving of a seven figure salary is not a character assassination although most of us agree , he’s potentially worth that. Just not yet.

betcats

Referee
Because he was directly asked. His response was totally unprovocative. What lines am I supposed to read between. It was as direct as possible. Clearly you haven’t seen the video but are still seemingly keen to denigrate the guy. Why?

And that reporter just happened to stumble across him sitting in the bush did she? Come on, its a clear cut PR spin piece from Latrell, he knew what questions were coming, he probably picked them. He certainly had those answers ready to portray the NSW blues poorly, and I am not denigrating him at all why are you so sensitive on his behalf? The worst thing i've said about him he has handled this situation poorly and hurt his value, that is just an opinion on whats happened.

Tiger5150

Bench
And that reporter just happened to stumble across him sitting in the bush did she? Come on, its a clear cut PR spin piece from Latrell, he knew what questions were coming, he probably picked them. He certainly had those answers ready to portray the NSW blues poorly,

The interview was produced by NRL.com not Latrell. His answer to a loaded question did not portray the NSW Blues poorly, that simply isnt what happened in the video. You clearly havent seen the video and are simply lapping up the opinion served to you by DT. That is never a good idea.

and I am not denigrating him at all why are you so sensitive on his behalf?
Because to be honest I cant believe the extent that the media are prepared to go to to get clicks. They are prepared to murder this kids reputation and potentially his career to get clicks and make $$$. I think it is disgusting and disgraceful, you may find it interesting and entertaining, you certainly are prepared to go along with it. The media print complete bullshit, almost 180degrees around from what was actually said and now people are just lapping it up, and its not real. I feel sorry for the kid.

The worst thing i've said about him he has handled this situation poorly and hurt his value, that is just an opinion on whats happened.

Thats the problem, its not your opinion on whats happened, its your opinion on what you were told to think has happened. Two very different things.

Tiger5150

Bench
Based on Dave Troddens heavy handed response to nothing,,,,I think Latrell's value just went up because he is always going to be available during the origin period.

betcats

Referee
The interview was produced by NRL.com not Latrell. His answer to a loaded question did not portray the NSW Blues poorly, that simply isnt what happened in the video. You clearly havent seen the video and are simply lapping up the opinion served to you by DT. That is never a good idea.

Because to be honest I cant believe the extent that the media are prepared to go to to get clicks. They are prepared to murder this kids reputation and potentially his career to get clicks and make $$$. I think it is disgusting and disgraceful, you may find it interesting and entertaining, you certainly are prepared to go along with it. The media print complete bullshit, almost 180degrees around from what was actually said and now people are just lapping it up, and its not real. I feel sorry for the kid.

Thats the problem, its not your opinion on whats happened, its your opinion on what you were told to think has happened. Two very different things.

The interview was done by his choice. It isn't a forced media commitment, it is absolutely a PR damage control interview on mitchels part, you are kidding yourself to suggest anything else. You don't know what happened either, you are just lapping up Latrells side of it the same way you are accusing others of lapping up the media's side to the story. The fact is Latrell still hasn't signed, it isn't the media making clubs withdraw offers.

betcats

Referee
Based on Dave Troddens heavy handed response to nothing,,,,I think Latrell's value just went up because he is always going to be available during the origin period.

His earning potential will go down if that is the case. Origin is worth 100k a year to him, it seems unlikely that difference could be made up in his club contract.

Tiger5150

Bench
The interview was done by his choice. It isn't a forced media commitment, it is absolutely a PR damage control interview on mitchels part, you are kidding yourself to suggest anything else. You don't know what happened either, you are just lapping up Latrells side of it the same way you are accusing others of lapping up the media's side to the story. The fact is Latrell still hasn't signed, it isn't the media making clubs withdraw offers.

Of course its a PR damage control interview (not necessarily Mitchells doing, the NRL has a stake in pumping him up). If you go back to my earlier posts I called it a "puff piece" or Fluff. I am totally cynical of the motives of making this interview, in fact my original point was that I believe that it is part of the NRL machine preparing his transfer to Souths. I am not "kidding" myself about anything.

When you say I dont know what happened, you are 100% incorrect. WE ARE DISCUSSING THE INTERVIEW not what happened when he was dropped. I WATCHED THE INTERVIEW therefore I DO know exactly what happened and what happened is nothing like what you or the media are saying. THATS THE POINT.

You dont like the guy, fair enough but that isnt reason to support bullshit that is designed to hurt a kid.

Tiger5150

Bench
His earning potential will go down if that is the case. Origin is worth 100k a year to him, it seems unlikely that difference could be made up in his club contract.

If he gets a contract worth $100K more than his current contract, he is ahead. No?

betcats

Referee
Of course its a PR damage control interview (not necessarily Mitchells doing, the NRL has a stake in pumping him up). If you go back to my earlier posts I called it a "puff piece" or Fluff. I am totally cynical of the motives of making this interview, in fact my original point was that I believe that it is part of the NRL machine preparing his transfer to Souths. I am not "kidding" myself about anything.

When you say I dont know what happened, you are 100% incorrect. WE ARE DISCUSSING THE INTERVIEW not what happened when he was dropped. I WATCHED THE INTERVIEW therefore I DO know exactly what happened and what happened is nothing like what you or the media are saying. THATS THE POINT.

You dont like the guy, fair enough but that isnt reason to support bullshit that is designed to hurt a kid.

I watched the interview. I very clearly heard him take a shot at Fittler and the blues and blame his family drama for his complete lack of effort in origin 1 and then imply he was treated differently for not signing the anthem, it really seems like he is carrying a chip on his shoulder over being dropped.

Tiger5150

Bench
I watched the interview. I very clearly heard him take a shot at Fittler and the blues and blame his family drama for his complete lack of effort in origin 1 and then imply he was treated differently for not signing the anthem, it really seems like he is carrying a chip on his shoulder over being dropped.

Good for you. I have no idea how you come to that conclusion if you actually watched the ORIGINAL video but I'd say you are projecting a fair bit of your own feelings for the guy.

Im bowing out of this discussion.

Latest posts