What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Does Smith qualify for ESL? If he does I wouldn't be that surprised to see him move on before the season starts and Lamb to go top 30. Then again even ESL clubs probably don't want Smith.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I kinda forgot about hooker but was assuming maybe some others in our backline could be shuffled to cover fullback. Like Parry?

Parry probably has the skills to do the basics at fullback like run / catch he doesn’t have the ball skills / experience yet.

I know Smith isn’t the greatest but attack wise, I wouId him rather then Parry at fullback. We wouId still be able to play to a similar structure that we do with Gutho.

Noise

Coach
Parry probably has the skills to do the basics at fullback like run / catch he doesn’t have the ball skills / experience yet.

I know Smith isn’t the greatest but attack wise, I wouId him rather then Parry at fullback. We wouId still be able to play to a similar structure that we do with Gutho.
I thought he meant a back line shuffle with Parry (or someone else, Taka?) on the wing and move Fergo to fullback

I think ballplaying is something we tend to overrate in fullbacks of late. Gutho has shown that a non standard fullback can go well there so why not someone who isn't a great ballplayer? If he's got the endurance and has gotten a bit stronger he might be an option. And he has pace. But if not him Ferguson can fill in. Maybe even Waqa?

I thought he meant a back line shuffle with Parry (or someone else, Taka?) on the wing and move Fergo to fullback
Yeah I don't mean he's the only one to play fullback but could be good enough to get a spot somewhere. But I do like his pace so hoping he's put on 6kg like every merkin is supposed to each preseason.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I think ballplaying is something we tend to overrate in fullbacks of late. Gutho has shown that a non standard fullback can go well there so why not someone who isn't a great ballplayer? If he's got the endurance and has gotten a bit stronger he might be an option. And he has pace. But if not him Ferguson can fill in. Maybe even Waqa?

I think gutho is a bit underrated as a ball player, he had 13 TA / 16 LBA n 2019 - equal best / best in both for all fullbacks (Tedesco had 13 / 13 Ponga 9 TA).

Anyhow just think it’s a risk playing a rookie without “ball playing” skills. Even Ferguson has no ball playing skills.

I think gutho is a bit underrated as a ball player, he had 13 TA / 16 LBA n 2019 - equal best / best in both for all fullbacks (Tedesco had 13 / 13 Ponga 9 TA).

Anyhow just think it’s a risk playing a rookie without “ball playing” skills. Even Ferguson has no ball playing skills.
Yeah but Guth is relatively slow. That's his drawback. Obviously he makes up for it in other ways but he's not the standard fullback. So obviously you don't need to be top drawer in all aspects. Smith's failings are that he's small and his defence is terrible and he f**ks up a lot. So on balance maybe the coaching staff think that there are better options available.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

It's not just about the ball playing. Fullback also needs the instincts and work rate to be where he's needed most of the time.

hindy111

Post Whore
I'd prefer we set Reserve grades structure the same as first grade and players learning the same set plays and roles.
W. Smith would be my fullback and first in for Gutherson. I do not like the idea of moving guys in the starting 13 around. You weaken one spot to fill another and end up with 2 weaker positions.

This is why I am interested to see what they do with Salmon. I would rather him in centers if that is where they see him.
Lamb and Davies can be the halves.

Daniel Vella

Juniors
Neither Lamb nor Davies can play until round 17 or whatever.
I don't understand why they signed brock lamb on a development contract when "He'll give us a lot of depth and really push me and Dyl for positions so if we're not playing good footy there's nor reason why Brad shouldn't put him in." But they have to wait till round 17 if they want to do that.

Latest posts