What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pies, and condiments

For Mr Angry’s original question... Tomato sauce and only tomato sauce for mine. Anything else is an outrage...

But then again, if you told my grandparents 30 years ago that sushi would be popular in Australia they’d blow up deluxe too.

So maybe it’s not you, it’s me..

One of my old team leaders I’d hired got some pies out of the lunch room at one of our rail depots years ago and poured barbecue sauce on em.. I called him out and questioned his taste... which prompted the other 40-odd folk in there to turn around in stunned silence.. the response to my query was pretty much “get f%cked”. But bbq sauce on a pie... he was a Queenslander but even still that’s disgusting in my book..

With regard to pie shops.. did I hear right that the Frederickton Pie Shop isn’t around any more? It was the best for mine along with Berri Pie Shop (north side of the main Rd).

horrie hastings

First Grade
With regard to pie shops.. did I hear right that the Frederickton Pie Shop isn’t around any more? It was the best for mine along with Berri Pie Shop (north side of the main Rd).

Fredos pies still there but has moved in the smaller shop next door. Many years ago they were good pies but more recent years they have really gone down hill. Used to be a regular there with annual holidays up to Port Macquarie then would visit my Aunty who was in the nursing home opposite Fredos. Can’t believe how the quality dropped off. I think they sell their pies in the service centre on the Pacific Highway at South Kempsey also.

Another disappointment pie wise is Heatherbrae pies near Raymond Terrace, would be a perfect stop before the mad decent back into Sydney but pies there are bland, been twice and that was enough, have notice they have a shop at Suttons Forest now too.

One good one while driving up the coast is Platform Pies at Coolongolook, it is part of the Salty Dog Cafe, often have lunch at Salty Dog then grab a pie or two for later. The bakery at Buladelah do reasonable pies also so it just depends on the first stop from Sydney is Buladelah or Goolongolook.

horrie hastings

First Grade
For Mr Angry’s original question... Tomato sauce and only tomato sauce for mine. Anything else is an outrage...

But then again, if you told my grandparents 30 years ago that sushi would be popular in Australia they’d blow up deluxe too.

So maybe it’s not you, it’s me..

One of my old team leaders I’d hired got some pies out of the lunch room at one of our rail depots years ago and poured barbecue sauce on em.. I called him out and questioned his taste... which prompted the other 40-odd folk in there to turn around in stunned silence.. the response to my query was pretty much “get f%cked”. But bbq sauce on a pie... he was a Queenslander but even still that’s disgusting in my book..

Some times have Sargents pies or the Herbert Adam gourmet pies in the freezer as a stand by , yes tomato sauce is the only sauce I put on the Sargents although occasionally I will put on a bit of fountain mustard sauce also but a big no to BBQ sauce on pies at all. The Herbert Adams don’t need sauce.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Her beau likes mushy peas, so he takes some heat off, she hates peas too.

Love mushy peas or peas in general but really love mushy peas on a hot dog at Harry’s Cafe de Wheels with tomato sauce and cheese sauce. Also mushy peas with fish and chips in a good British pub.

Bazal

Post Whore
BBQ sauce on pies is acceptable. Heck, encouraged. But only for plain beef pies/party pies.

Otherwise tomato or nothing

horrie hastings

First Grade
Many many years ago , after I left home I rented at Kirribilli ( 2 bedroom unit for $75 a week at the time) I used to work on the south side at Hillsdale but coming home I would get the bus into the Quay and catch a ferry over to Kirribilli wharf, to cut a long story short, there was a little cafe/ shop at the wharf and the couple who ran it used to bake their own pies there, I would often get a pie from there, usually a Bolognese pie and they were beautiful., that was around 1983, I miss simple things like that these days.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Here you go Angry...

http://www.timbertownpies.com.au/product/honey-soy-chicken-pie-filling-3kg/

Soy pie filling. Get that on the table and see how long it lasts.
BFhoney.jpg

I.... I.....

I... I have no words...

Incorrect

Coach
Driving to Melbourne from Sydney a couple of years back, we stopped at a town called Seymour which is a little less than 100 kms from Melbourne. Went to the local pie shop and sampled their wares.... Sensational. Definitely recommend

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Driving to Melbourne from Sydney a couple of years back, we stopped at a town called Seymour which is a little less than 100 kms from Melbourne. Went to the local pie shop and sampled their wares.... Sensational. Definitely recommend
Looks like there's two pie shops in Seymour.
https://www.google.com/maps/search/pie+shop+seymour+victoria/@-37.0242772,145.1362356,17z?gl=au
Which one?

If we're setting up resource for a pie shop tour of Australia, then I'll throw in Syd's Pies at Loganholme - about halfway bwteen Brisbane and Gold Coast. Not a big shop but great pies.

People flock to the Yatala pie shop which is not far away, and pretty good pies there too. But Syd's are the best in that neck of the woods.