What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red V Podcast

Gareth67

First Grade
Soward was an average player at best - with the exception of his kicking , in that he was one of the better players running around at that time .

What the difference was was quite simply Bennett , he made a silk purse out of a sow’s ear and Soward became one of the most important cogs in the Dragons quest for the premiership. It was Bennett who could see his weaknesses and thus implemented plans to off set them . He also assigned a ‘ back up ‘ defender should he miss a tackle, of which there were many .

All in all he and Hornby combination along with Nathan Fiend went along way towards securing the 2010 trophy .

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Soward was an average player at best - with the exception of his kicking , in that he was one of the better players running around at that time .

What the difference was was quite simply Bennett , he made a silk purse out of a sow’s ear and Soward became one of the most important cogs in the Dragons quest for the premiership. It was Bennett who could see his weaknesses and thus implemented plans to off set them . He also assigned a ‘ back up ‘ defender should he miss a tackle, of which there were many .

All in all he and Hornby combination along with Nathan Fiend went along way towards securing the 2010 trophy .

he never made any major mistakes as far as I remember. Was dodgy in defence yes, but so was Lockyer. Had a great kick on him. Burnt a few teams with his pace. He knew when to pass and when to take on the line. Never ran sideways much, never kicked a ball out on the full during a semi like someone else did. Never decided to run the ball on the last tackle during a semi giving the opposition the opportunity to kick a field goal like someone else. Was clutch under pressure, kicking us into the GF and kicking sideline conversions. Single handedly won a semi for Penriff after he left us. He also had a massive heart and gave his all for the red V. He was the only premiership five eighth I’ve ever seen. I think he was underrated his whole career. I’d replace the pea hearts we have now with Soward.

Gareth67

First Grade
he never made any major mistakes as far as I remember. Was dodgy in defence yes, but so was Lockyer. Had a great kick on him. Burnt a few teams with his pace. He knew when to pass and when to take on the line. Never ran sideways much, never kicked a ball out on the full during a semi like someone else did. Never decided to run the ball on the last tackle during a semi giving the opposition the opportunity to kick a field goal like someone else. Was clutch under pressure, kicking us into the GF and kicking sideline conversions. Single handedly won a semi for Penriff after he left us. He also had a massive heart and gave his all for the red V. He was the only premiership five eighth I’ve ever seen. I think he was underrated his whole career. I’d replace the pea hearts we have now with Soward.

What you have said is undoubtedly correct R&WTILLIDIE , the man had great speed and was an exceptional kicker . But the point that I was attempting to make was they he became a better player once Bennett got hold of him , he smooth off his rough edges and gave us a slick No. 6 who , as we have both agreed was instrumental in getting our premiership in 2010 .

BLM01

First Grade
Agree with most except he did run sideways a lot and only took the line on if a gap. He was no braver if not less braver than our current 2. But he did have minimal mistakes in him yes and kicked us to an elusive premiership and won't deny he gave his best. Great to watch with speed when thru. Won't knock him but can't put him as high up on a pedestal as you have. But that is this forum for you....varied opinions.
But Captain courageous Ben Hornby on the other hand who did not have anywhere near the skills of Sowie and flew under the radar i rate as more instrumental for our success and higher than our current crop.

SAP58

Juniors
Last mondays podcast was Channel 9 political reporter Chris O’Keefe, another Dragons tragic lived in Mortdale. They also started a segment reviewing each position for 2020 starting at fullback. Wingers & centres next week, worth a listen if you have a spare 45 minutes, Jack Clifton does a good job IMO.

Gareth67

First Grade
Last night I actually spent some time watching the Dragon teams on my iPad and Soward in particular caught my eye - as R&WTILLIDIE had said the mans speed of the mark was indeed quick and he tore straight through many defense lines .

What also caught my attention was the Dragons attitude in the Bennett years , they were so enthusiastic in everything that they done , but the defense - wasn’t that great . Everyone doing their absolute best in making the ‘ Big Red V ‘ line almost impregnable, plus the camaraderie between the players .

That is just what is missing now - attitude - camaraderie and the ‘ can do anything if we put our minds to the task ‘ . With the right individual in charge of coaching plus those 3 factors the Dragons can hit the heights once again. But of course somebody needs to remove the obstacle that is blocking our path to success.

denis preston

First Grade
Sowie did great for us and he was one of the players that only Bennett could get into his head. The problem was he ( with the blistering pace ) stopped challenging the line , even after Price begged him to do so. His tenure was always going to end in tears after this.

BLM01

First Grade
Last mondays podcast was Channel 9 political reporter Chris O’Keefe, another Dragons tragic lived in Mortdale. They also started a segment reviewing each position for 2020 starting at fullback. Wingers & centres next week, worth a listen if you have a spare 45 minutes, Jack Clifton does a good job IMO.

Yeh but even the podcast people are reluctant to be direct about Mary saying what we all know he is no longer woirthy of the NRL coach position. Whilst they admit surprise of the extension etc etc and thinks that was crazy they say he has to start well blah blah blah and turn things around as if there is life in him yet as our coach. There is no more time or excuses left to turn things around...it is beyond that now...it is all stale!!! IMO

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
This week BRAD MACKAY!!!

Should be a cracker!
images

jackyboi90

Juniors
For those that are still interested in the podcast, we have a two part chat with Noel Goldthorpe starting Tuesday night.
We also chatted to former Dragons Tommy Ryan (part of the 56 and 57 premiership winning teams) about his career in the Red V.
Have chats with Rod Wishart and Scott Gourley in the mix for the next month

redVinme

Juniors
For those that are still interested in the podcast, we have a two part chat with Noel Goldthorpe starting Tuesday night.
We also chatted to former Dragons Tommy Ryan (part of the 56 and 57 premiership winning teams) about his career in the Red V.

People will be more. Engaged if you Talk about sacking Mary. You know it makes sense

Crush

Coach
People will be more. Engaged if you Talk about sacking Mary. You know it makes sense
If they Mary bash they won't be able to get guests connected with the club. They have already said this in previous episodes.
It makes sense, its pretty clear what they think of Mary anyway, the same as all the rest of us in here.

redVinme

Juniors
If they Mary bash they won't be able to get guests connected with the club. They have already said this in previous episodes.
It makes sense, its pretty clear what they think of Mary anyway, the same as all the rest of us in here.

I know mate, it's In jest

denis preston

First Grade

Tommy Ryan was a great winger and would be in top 5 ever with the Dragons ( with Morris, King , Lumsden,Blacklock ) He'd be a fair bloody age though !

jackyboi90

Juniors
Yeah he's just shy of 90! Lovely bloke and very interesting to hear his view on those sides from the 50's.

Tommy Ryan was a great winger and would be in top 5 ever with the Dragons ( with Morris, King , Lumsden,Blacklock ) He'd be a fair bloody age though !

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
I really enjoyed the Noel Goldthorpe interview.
Great insight into those St.George teams of the early 90s, Brian Smith and the Super League war. Good stuff!

dragondad

First Grade
I really enjoyed the Noel Goldthorpe interview.
Great insight into those St.George teams of the early 90s, Brian Smith and the Super League war. Good stuff!
I enjoyed the interview as well. Looking forward to part 2 next week. How many others were at Kogarah Oval in 1993 when we beat Manly? We were behind very late in the game but came home strongly, with a Noel Goldthorpe field goal giving us a 21-20 win.

Latest posts