What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for 2020 and future looking team

getsmarty

Immortal
Aitken keen to take opportunities
  • Local Sport
    r295_0_4807_2740_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Attack:Euan Aitkin believes to be strong in attack their defence must improve.Picture John Veage
    Off contract St George Illawarra centre Euan Aitken believes he can regain representative form as he chases a new NRL deal.

Aitken has received interest from other clubs but wants to remain with the Dragons despite a frustrating 2019 season where St George Illawarra regularly played off the back foot,conceding too many points in their second half efforts.

Aitken told NRL.com that he just wants to do what he's capable of and if he does his best and it doesn't come his way,he will accept it.

"I felt like I had a lot more to offer, I just probably wasn't getting as many opportunities as I was used to in previous years - and that's a hard thing to take," Aitken said

"I've always got that strong self-belief that I can play great footy and I think it's just getting back to performing as a team and on the back of that I can perform."

For the Dragons to be strong in attack, Aitken knows their defence must improve,they conceded 23.9 points per game last year - only the last placed Titans fared worse.

Aitken said new assistant coach Shane Flanagan has already made a big difference to their structures, aggression and attitude without the ball and thinks Flanagan's combination with Dean Young are going to be their strength in their defence.

"I think he is going to be beneficial. It's another mind, who's coached a team to a premiership. So it's always going to be good having a different mindset there.

St George Illawarra toured bushfire-ravaged towns on the NSW South Coast including Batemans Bay, Narooma and Lake Conjola this week and its a cause close to the heart of Aitken, whose home of Pambula was affected by the blazes.

"Our home town didn't get hit as bad as other areas. It's very unfortunate but it's good to see all the positive influences throughout the community and see the Dragons putting on things to help donate money towards the victims that need it," Aitken said.

"They're obviously a catchment area for the Dragons and a rugby league area down there. They support us on the field, so it's time for us as a club to go and support them."

The Dragons have also joined forces with the Illawarra Hawks and Wollongong Wolves for a combined codes bushfire appeal golf day to be held on Monday February 3 at Wollongong Golf Course.

• https://www.theleader.com.au/story/6604536/off-contract-centre-chases-new-dragons-deal/

Old Timer

Coach
As were Anthony Griffin and Garth Brennan to name a few recent examples of coaches sacked with one or more years remaining on their contracts.
That is true but neither were part of the old boys club at St GI nor did they have the ear or friendship of the most powerful people within their club.
We are a totally different animal and I will only believe he is gone when the door hits him in the arse as he leaves for the last time.
Gould's words still ring loud and clear in my head.

BLM01

First Grade
How many times can I like this.
That is true but neither were part of the old boys club at St GI nor did they have the ear or friendship of the most powerful people within their club.
We are a totally different animal and I will only believe he is gone when the door hits him in the arse as he leaves for the last time.
Gould's words still ring loud and clear in my head.
:grin: OT. I hear the door creaking ajar as we write

Wittenberg

Juniors
:grin: OT. I hear the door creaking ajar as we write
For three years or so I have continually heard that Mary will be
going, that he is on borrowed time. Well he must have borrowed a lot of time because once again he is in charge and Gould’s ‘review’ showed just how powerful his connections and mates are. Flanagan’s appointment makes me more depressed. Flanagan cannot coach for another two seasons. If the Club really want Flanagan to inherent the team, Mary will be with us for the next two seasons.

BLM01

First Grade
For three years or so I have continually heard that Mary will be
going, that he is on borrowed time. Well he must have borrowed a lot of time because once again he is in charge and Gould’s ‘review’ showed just how powerful his connections and mates are. Flanagan’s appointment makes me more depressed. Flanagan cannot coach for another two seasons. If the Club really want Flanagan to inherent the team, Mary will be with us for the next two seasons.
I certainly understand everyone's negativity re his departure as I am also depressed he is still here now but..... Here's a clue. BJ's departure is more than just family interests.
We shall see who is right this time re 2021.

Como Connection

First Grade
No BJ at the lunch as he was at the farm.
Legend Dragon forward attended and offered the following comments.
He likes Mary and felt he was unlucky with the Jack and Widdop situation last season.
Widdop should have been released immediately when he said he wanted to return to the UK.
Jack should not have been allowed to train with the team.
Jack has a very strong case but the media reporting hasn't helped his case.
Never impressed with Widdop, sideways running and didn't like getting tackled and kicked on many occasions when he should have taken the line on.
Thinks Lomax hasn't offered much at all so far.
Centres no good, EA really dumb and Lafai poor.
7 and 6 fine but need the forwards to dominate.
Vaughan runs sideways and not impressed with him, Graham should have been released this coming season but one of Mary's favourites.
Kerr better than Timm and Kerr should have been given more game time last year.
Should have kept Luc and not sign Merrin.
McInnes very good but needs to run more.
Sims should have been rested last season to get his injuries right.
Not impressed with Frizzells performances for the Dragons.
Said Doust did a very good job as CEO.
BJ wants to go back to the farm and young family.
Flanno offering new ideas to the team.
That's about it.
I won't revel his name.
Great day.
CC

stevedragon

Juniors
No BJ at the lunch as he was at the farm.
Legend Dragon forward attended and offered the following comments.
He likes Mary and felt he was unlucky with the Jack and Widdop situation last season.
Widdop should have been released immediately when he said he wanted to return to the UK.
Jack should not have been allowed to train with the team.
Jack has a very strong case but the media reporting hasn't helped his case.
Never impressed with Widdop, sideways running and didn't like getting tackled and kicked on many occasions when he should have taken the line on.
Thinks Lomax hasn't offered much at all so far.
Centres no good, EA really dumb and Lafai poor.
7 and 6 fine but need the forwards to dominate.
Vaughan runs sideways and not impressed with him, Graham should have been released this coming season but one of Mary's favourites.
Kerr better than Timm and Kerr should have been given more game time last year.
Should have kept Luc and not sign Merrin.
McInnes very good but needs to run more.
Sims should have been rested last season to get his injuries right.
Not impressed with Frizzells performances for the Dragons.
Said Doust did a very good job as CEO.
BJ wants to go back to the farm and young family.
Flanno offering new ideas to the team.
That's about it.
I won't revel his name.
Great day.
CC
Thanks CC. I agree with all the coments except liking Mary as a coach.