What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

blue bags

First Grade
Dunno why Saints fans are so keen on Flanno.
Sure he got the Sharks a premiership but he also oversaw salary cap rorting, the ASADA mess and his last 2 decisions as head coach were to sign Josh Dugan and Matt Moylan to long term deals.

The fallout of the salary cap mess is ongoing and the Sharks administrators can’t believe he is let back into the game while penalties to the club continue.

The bloke can coach but he is a dead set loose cannon and a liability to any organisation.

blue bags

First Grade
bobby_20071205_nun.jpg
north korea you yer

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Traditionally is a statement of fact that sets the basis of the argument

Reflecting the historical influence of European migration to Australia, Christianity was the most common religion reported in 2016 (52%). Islam (2.6%) and Buddhism (2.4%) were the next most common religions reported.

Nearly a third of Australians reported in the Census that they had no religion in 2016 (30%).

https://web.archive.org/web/20170919010053/http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/by Subject/2071.0~2016~Main Features~Religion Data Summary~25

So 52% is a minority and 30% is not.?

Awesome work that mate.
52% is only a majority if you think 'Christianity' is some kind of cartoonish monolith. If you're going to cook the books, why not just say 70% belong to that hivemind that calls itself 'religious'?

Bandwagon

Staff member
52% is only a majority if you think 'Christianity' is some king of cartoonish monolith. If you're going to cook the books, why not just say 70% belong to that hivemind that calls itself 'religious'?

Yet by that "logic" for Christianity to be a minority, you would have to make the same claim around those that are not, which clearly is ridiculous.

Face it, you made an unsupported claim which has turned out to be unsupportable.

Bad luck that mate.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I must admit, I was surprised by the stat of 52%. Fair play, Bandy. I always respect your ability to bring opinion back to fact.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yet by that "logic" for Christianity to be a minority, you would have to make the same claim around those that are not, which clearly is ridiculous.
Why is it ridiculous for a multicultural society to consist only of minority groups? Even a majority-minority (the 30% atheists) is still a minority. Which is why they're resisting this bill. It's a protection for everyone except them, and therefore erodes their privilege.
Face it, you made an unsupported claim which has turned out to be unsupportable.

Bad luck that mate.
You've jumped the gun, haven't you?

Bandwagon

Staff member
Why is it ridiculous for a multicultural society to consist only of minority groups? Even a majority-minority (the 30% atheists) is still a minority. Which is why they're resisting this bill. It's a protection for everyone except them, and therefore erodes their privilege.

It's not, it just happens not to be the case here and now.

You've jumped the gun, haven't you?

No.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I must admit, I was surprised by the stat of 52%. Fair play, Bandy. I always respect your ability to bring opinion back to fact.

It's actually probably less now, to my point their numbers are diminishing, which means so is their influence. That's an adjustment that they'll need to deal with.

When I was born near 90% of my fellow Australians identified as christian, some here may remember we did the lords prayer at public school. Which part of secular society demanded that i wonder?

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs...0~2016~Main Features~Religion Data Summary~70

Gronk

Staff member
Answer the question. I didn't attack you, I just pointed out your privilege. While that might be considered insulting by some it's nothing to be ashamed of in my opinion.
I’m not going to make a song and dance out of this anymore, but your spin is transparent and your accountability is sadly lacking. Fight or flight mate. Your instinct is ....

giphy.gif

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's actually probably less now, to my point their numbers are diminishing, which means so is their influence. That's an adjustment that they'll need to deal with.
Considering religious people tend to the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum, influence is something 'they' were never used to in the first place.

But they have certainly seen the benefits accruing to minorities over the years. Their former experience as the dominant culture shouldn't exclude them from these protections. To do so would just be vindictive.

Bandwagon

Staff member
It is. The 30% atheists was the single biggest 'religious' group in the 2016 census.

Ha ha, those that reported as Christian aren't the largest group because well all Christians aren't the same? But the 30% who report no religion are all atheists,( IE belong to the one group and are all the same ) presumably because reasons?

You are defying your own "logic" here mate, do you not realise how transparent that is?

Which is unsurprising considering they have the bulk of the money and power in Australia.

Really?

That's what you're going with?

Lolz.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

When I was born near 90% of my fellow Australians identified as christian, some here may remember we did the lords prayer at public school. Which part of secular society demanded that i wonder?

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/by Subject/2071.0~2016~Main Features~Religion Data Summary~70
You must be older than me. When I was at public school we did 'Livin' on a Prayer'.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Ha ha, those that reported as Christian aren't the largest group because well all Christians aren't the same? But the 30% who report no religion are all atheists,( IE belong to the one group and are all the same ) presumably because reasons?
Those reasons would be their shared religious beliefs. There's not much room for nuance when your opinion of something is dangerous-bullshit-for-idiots.
You are defying your own "logic" here mate, do you not realise how transparent that is?

Really?

That's what you're going with?

Lolz.
Ridicule is the typical go-to for anti-religious types when the moral highground is stripped away. When you're an atheist in 2020 Australia you're not bravely fighting against 'the system'. You are the system, and it galls you to have it pointed out.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Considering religious people tend to the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum, influence is something 'they' were never used to in the first place.

Well again that's simply not true...........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealth_and_religion

But they have certainly seen the benefits accruing to minorities over the years. Their former experience as the dominant culture shouldn't exclude them from these protections. To do so would just be vindictive.

I wouldn't argue it should, nor have I. I have consistently stated my issues with this bill are that it elevates religious rights above others. Thus perpetuating religious privilege.