What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Gronk

Staff member
You most likely lack the IQ and open mind to understand different views or how another person may think differently or even why you think a certain way in life.
I understand this and why I am not harsh on yourself. You might be right or wrong. But you certainly lack flexibility and not open to others views. That's fine, you can't help the way your brain works.
giphy.gif

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I reckon 90%
I was being flippant before but its a fair point.

Perhaps I am too preoccupied with the small percentage of whingers on the left, just like they are too preoccupied with the small number of religious nazis in the world.

That said, its the nutters on the fringes that seem to have the most influence.

hindy111

Post Whore
I was being flippant before but its a fair point.

Perhaps I am too preoccupied with the small percentage of whingers on the left, just like they are too preoccupied with the small number of religious nazis in the world.

That said, its the nutters on the fringes that seem to have the most influence.

They just end up hanging around people like them and whinge together. It's toxic

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hmm, I don't believe this to be the case at all. Traditionally
'Traditionally' isn't a good argument for anything other than more religion.
( since white settlement ) we have been a Christian dominated society, various denominations have suffered some discrimination from other denominations, but as a whole Christians have enjoyed a position of privilege.

I would say this is evidenced further by the fact that there are some gaps in anti discrimination law in the protection of religious freedom, because for the most part anti discrimination law has been written to address specific recognised problems, and persecution of the religious simply hasn't been a problem requiring addressing.

Secularism isn't simply a separation of church and state, it's societal, and it's only quite recently ( relatively speaking ) that the desertion of religion has become more prevalent. So one could say that whist the laws have not changed, certainly society has, and all that has seen is the erosion of the position of privilege the religious have held over and above the secular.

That being the case, one could look at the way this legislation is designed to enshrine a hierarchy of rights, whereby the rights of the religious are given greater import over other basic human rights of the non religious, as a push back from the religious, not as means by which to ensure some form of balance, but indeed an effort to regain lost privilege.

This faux persecution argument is nothing but a lament for that loss.
No, the new status of religious communities as minorities is exactly why they are demanding protections afforded to other minority groups.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Thats a fair point. Some absolute merkin behaviour that is inexcusable.

But equally there are plenty of good people of faith who shouldn't be punished because of the actions of the religious heirarchy.
Are you saying the not-all-Muslims argument should apply to all religions?

Bandwagon

Staff member
'Traditionally' isn't a good argument for anything other than more religion.

Traditionally is a statement of fact that sets the basis of the argument

No, the new status of religious communities as minorities is exactly why they are demanding protections afforded to other minority groups.

Reflecting the historical influence of European migration to Australia, Christianity was the most common religion reported in 2016 (52%). Islam (2.6%) and Buddhism (2.4%) were the next most common religions reported.

Nearly a third of Australians reported in the Census that they had no religion in 2016 (30%).

https://web.archive.org/web/2017091...0~2016~Main Features~Religion Data Summary~25

So 52% is a minority and 30% is not.?

Awesome work that mate.

Latest posts