What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
They can demand all they want. It doesn’t mean it’ll happen.

I’m really starting to think V’landys is a bit of an idiot.

realistically it’s going to cost $100million ish plus to upgrade current suburban grounds to undercover all seaters, $200-300million to build a new 20k stadium. He’s got Buckley’s lol. Sounds like he’s just saying what the Sydney fans want to hear without any real chance of delivering. Such is the gullibility of the plebians.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The NRL will demand a multi-million-dollar compensation payment, to be invested in boutique suburban stadiums, should the NSW state government fail to deliver the rebuilt Allianz Stadium on time.

Despite previous assurances the new venue at Moore Park would be ready by early 2022, the NRL has now been told construction is already six months behind schedule.

Now the game faces the prospect of losing millions by potentially playing State of Origin and the NRL grand final at the Sydney Cricket Ground in 2022, with ANZ Stadium expected to be out of play from July this year until the start of 2023.

ARLC chairman Peter V'landys has stated his desire to lobby for funding for suburban grounds, and revelations of the delay to the Allianz Stadium works will provide the NRL with an opportunity to leverage the state government into stumping up cash.

V'landys wants to see tribalism return to rugby league, and this column understands discussions have taken place regarding the construction of several 15,000 to 20,000-seat boutique grounds around Sydney.

Manly, Campbelltown, Penrith and Sydney's south have been earmarked as primary targets, with all nine Sydney clubs to be catered for as part of the NRL's grand plan.

The governing body would much prefer fans being locked out than empty grandstands, hence the desire for boutique grounds to cater for crowds of around 15,000.

It's a significant change in tack. Just a few years back, the NRL adopted a 'build it and they will come' mentality in regards to major stadiums and turned a blind eye to suburban grounds.

As reported by The Herald in December, the delay could also see the Sydney Cricket Ground host the Origin match that had been earmarked for Allianz Stadium in 2022, as well re-open the debate around the grand final leaving Sydney.

While NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg has a strong relationship with NSW premier Gladys Berejiklian, V'landys' bullish approach has the ARLC chairman on a collision course with the state leader.

The game's stadium strategy, as well as the current broadcast negotiations, will be significant in defining the V'landys legacy. Be assured, the chairman is already positioning himself as the man who will turn dilapidated suburban grounds into modern stadiums.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/how-v-...-suburban-spending-spree-20200227-p544ti.html

Read carefully....

Point 1) Vlad wants boutique stadiums
Unrelatied point 2) delay in SFS rebuild

Clearly the journo is drawing links that Vlad never suggested, "ARLC chairman Peter V'landys has stated his desire to lobby for funding for suburban grounds, and revelations of the delay to the Allianz Stadium works will provide the NRL with an opportunity to leverage the state government into stumping up cash."

Good that Vlad is lobbying for anuything at all. Dont blame him for the media wanting a more flashy headline

Vee

First Grade
"The governing body would much prefer fans being locked out than empty grandstands, hence the desire for boutique grounds to cater for crowds of around 15,000."

So, we've given up aiming for average crowds of 20k then?

I hardly think it's a windfall. The NRL will lose a shipload of future funding that would have been included in future budgets.

Perth Red

Post Whore
"The governing body would much prefer fans being locked out than empty grandstands, hence the desire for boutique grounds to cater for crowds of around 15,000."

So, we've given up aiming for average crowds of 20k then?

I hardly think it's a windfall. The NRL will lose a shipload of future funding that would have been included in future budgets.

Its a new plot to rationalise Sydney Lol. Tell some clubs it’s ok to play in 15k stadiums and they’ll go broke eventually.

beave

Coach
When does this guy start pushing for new stadiums or upgrades in Canberra, Auckland, Newcastle or Gold Coast (accessibility options)?

GC accessibility options? mate there’s a train station and bus depot 2mins walk from the stadium and an 8 lane freeway 5 mins away, Robina town centre 10min walk away with ample parking. IMO accessibility for the GC is not their problem, getting an apathetic populace back on board and some decent before and after venues close by to the stadium is about all they need. I don’t know why people think there’s an accessibility issue there IMO it’s not that bad. Sure it’s not in the cbd but land there would have been $$$$ back when it was built, I can see why they built it where it is.

that would be the logical step, a bankwest style 25-30k decent stadium for three tennants. Challenge would be where that doesn’t put off the clubs jumping in.

aiming for 15k stadiums seems very low ambition by our new chairman. Clubs need customers, customers equal revenue.

big time
Loftus probably still the best option between Kogarah, Sutherland, Gong

jim_57

Staff member
GC accessibility options? mate there’s a train station and bus depot 2mins walk from the stadium and an 8 lane freeway 5 mins away, Robina town centre 10min walk away with ample parking. IMO accessibility for the GC is not their problem, getting an apathetic populace back on board and some decent before and after venues close by to the stadium is about all they need. I don’t know why people think there’s an accessibility issue there IMO it’s not that bad. Sure it’s not in the cbd but land there would have been $$$$ back when it was built, I can see why they built it where it is.

That train line bypasses all of the Gold Coast's inner suburbs as you know. Also yeh there is a shopping centre car park and maybe some others but I wouldn't use the word ample, doesn't really cater for larger crowds well. Also nitpicking I know, but 6 lane freeway.

It could definitely be improved, the apathy thing is a whole different issue. If Gold Coast ever got to the stage where they regularly got 20k+ again then I'm sure we'd hear more about it.

Sure it isn't "that bad" but it isn't great either. Drive to suburbia and find a park or catch a bus 20mins from the city, now where does that remind me of?

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
where as Dave Smith didn’t know the Australian capt Vlandys doesn’t know the game is played outside Sydney and Brisbane lol

Precisely.

The more I hear from this guy, the more I dislike him.. and that's being diplomatic.

No vision, no ambition.. just a desire to go back to the "good old days" of suburbanism, which is laughable compared to the nationwide (and in some cases Australasian) plans of just about every other major sports league.

We're ALREADY way behind the pack.

ground zero

Juniors
When does this guy start pushing for new stadiums or upgrades in Canberra, Auckland, Newcastle or Gold Coast (accessibility options)?
Nothing wrong with Newcastle,s stadium all fairly new. Was design an built to eventually put new stands at each end behind the goalposts. So it can be turned into a 40,000 seat stadium. Thats always been the long turn plan. Only thing stopping it from happening is Nsw, begins in Sydney an ends at Hornsby.

Omott91

Juniors
Nothing wrong with Newcastle,s stadium all fairly new. Was design an built to eventually put new stands at each end behind the goalposts. So it can be turned into a 40,000 seat stadium. Thats always been the long turn plan. Only thing stopping it from happening is Nsw, begins in Sydney an ends at Hornsby.
Whilst the upgrade would be nice, we don't really need it as crowds don't justify it, although wouldn't mind proper stands to replace the 2 hills. Anything more atm would ruin the great atmosphere which you get with any crowd that's above 18k or so.

jim_57

Staff member

Yeh whilst upgrades would be nice Newcastle doesn't seem too bad, just thought I'd throw it in there.

Canberra and maybe Auckland seem the next obvious targets for the NRL. Maybe getting behind a 25k second stadium in Brisbane for Roar & Reds mainly so Suncorp can be cleared out to be a 90% Rugby League Stadium.

Whilst suburban ground upgrades in Sydney wouldn't be the worst idea once SFS & ANZ are done, good luck getting any government money any time soon. Patch up jobs maybe.

TheRam

Coach

Then you should see why the crowds are what they are.

Quicksilver

Bench
He’s more interested in getting Chico rolls restocked at Pratten Park and adding 200 extra seats at Henson.

The guy is deeply regressive for the game.

Ummm... no

It’s the most densely populated part of Australia, that also happens to be Rugby League heartland.

Latest posts