What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

TheRam

Coach
their first 3 years at Robina they averaged 21.5k, 19k and 18k. So what changed in regards to access????? Did the location somehow get worse from 2011 onwards???

The novelty of a new stadium wore off, then the reality of a sh*t location and sh*t team sunk in.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The novelty of a new stadium wore off, then the reality of a sh*t location and sh*t team sunk in.

I think the sht team, going bust and the general constant white anting of the club from the media probably has a lot more to do with the drop off than the location Tbf.

whilst not much to write home about it is also worth considering that they have never finished as the worse attended club in a season.

t-ba

Post Whore
Nothing wrong with Newcastle,s stadium all fairly new. Was design an built to eventually put new stands at each end behind the goalposts. So it can be turned into a 40,000 seat stadium. Thats always been the long turn plan. Only thing stopping it from happening is Nsw, begins in Sydney an ends at Hornsby.

Disgusting.

Should end at Boundary Rd Chatswood.

TheRam

Coach
I think the sht team, going bust and the general constant white anting of the club from the media probably has a lot more to do with the drop off than the location Tbf.

whilst not much to write home about it is also worth considering that they have never finished as the worse attended club in a season.

Fair enough, and having a crap team never helps any team, but the location could of been much better.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Unlikely to be a home base for anyone anytime soon, but Christchurch has finally had funding approved for a new stadium. 25,000 seats and a clear roof.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/119944757/crown-approves-christchurch-stadium-funding

1583170125089.jpg

flippikat

Bench

TheRam

Coach
Unlikely to be a home base for anyone anytime soon, but Christchurch has finally had funding approved for a new stadium. 25,000 seats and a clear roof.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/119944757/crown-approves-christchurch-stadium-funding

1583170125089.jpg

Brilliant!

A touch small, would have been better if 30K, but a rectangular roofed state of the are new stadium, right in the city, is perfect. The NRL would be mad not to bring in the Christchurch Padres, Popes or Clerics or whatever they want to call them. It will be a real feature for that city and an attraction for many locals and visitors. Can't wait.

Now if only Auckland got its sh*t together and built something similar, but maybe 35K+ in the city too and NZ would be set for RL and I'm sure crowds would reflect the peoples appreciation if built in the city with roof also. Build it and they will come.

Timbo

Staff member
Brilliant!

A touch small, would have been better if 30K, but a rectangular roofed state of the are new stadium, right in the city, is perfect. The NRL would be mad not to bring in the Christchurch Padres, Popes or Clerics or whatever they want to call them. It will be a real feature for that city and an attraction for many locals and visitors. Can't wait.

Now if only Auckland got its sh*t together and built something similar, but maybe 35K+ in the city too and NZ would be set for RL and I'm sure crowds would reflect the peoples appreciation if built in the city with roof also. Build it and they will come.

I would not be surprised if it has been designed so that an extra 5k seats can be easily bumped in.

That's what they have at Dunedin, and they can increase it's capacity to ~30,500 for All Blacks tests and the like.

TheRam

Coach
I would not be surprised if it has been designed so that an extra 5k seats can be easily bumped in.

That's what they have at Dunedin, and they can increase it's capacity to ~30,500 for All Blacks tests and the like.

Doesn't say that, but they do mention 500 extra seats, which is hardly anything really.

LeagueNut

First Grade
BTW does anyone know where the Auckland stadium is up too?
Not much happening at the moment, or at least publicly. Last I heard...
  • The Crater (the sunken stadium in the harbour) was still just a proposal waiting for Council (or whoever needs to decide) to review.
  • Eden Park is pushing forward with plans to stage more night concerts to improve their financial position but they still need a lot of $$$ going forward.
  • Ngati Whatua, the Maori tribe that own a shit-ton of land just to the east of the CBD, are proposing a new master plan to redevelop most of their land which may include a new stadium, but that all seems dependent on the Auckland Ports moving their operations to Northland (a giant political football in an election year).
So overall a whole lot of nothing. Everything has probably been pushed down the list while NZ heads towards a general election and Auckland is dealing with other huge infrastructure projects like the underground city rail link and other things for events like the America's Cup, APEC, etc.

Timbo

Staff member
Not much happening at the moment, or at least publicly. Last I heard...
  • The Crater (the sunken stadium in the harbour) was still just a proposal waiting for Council (or whoever needs to decide) to review.
  • Eden Park is pushing forward with plans to stage more night concerts to improve their financial position but they still need a lot of $$$ going forward.
  • Ngati Whatua, the Maori tribe that own a shit-ton of land just to the east of the CBD, are proposing a new master plan to redevelop most of their land which may include a new stadium, but that all seems dependent on the Auckland Ports moving their operations to Northland (a giant political football in an election year).
So overall a whole lot of nothing. Everything has probably been pushed down the list while NZ heads towards a general election and Auckland is dealing with other huge infrastructure projects like the underground city rail link and other things for events like the America's Cup, APEC, etc.

Do you know if cricket is still moving to Western Springs?

Diesel

Referee
Brilliant!

Or Cardinals, that was the name of the team in the Lion Red Cup back in the 90’s.
It’s about time Christchurch got a proper stadium, not just need to work on something rectangular in Wellington and bulldozer Eden Park for something better and NZ is set

LeagueNut

First Grade
Do you know if cricket is still moving to Western Springs?
Not sure sorry. There were positive noises a while ago but then I think the speedway move hit a snag somewhere so they had to stay at Western Springs for another season or two.