What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Knight Vision

First Grade
Blah blah blah, meaningless dribble, I'll move on to where you actually make a point.
oh poor thing, had to consult a dictionary did you?

See, the flaw with the "this is no worse than flu" point, is that the same arguments made against Covid19, also apply to flu.
still missing the point, it is quite obviously worse than a common flu, however for the vast majority of the population not to the point of this media driven hysteria in my point of view.

If you're unfortunate enough to be old or in poor health, or are a morbidly obese f**k that gorged on too much take away and as a result have diabetes or cardiovascular disease ( an ever increasing cross section of Australian society ) then perhaps think about staying home for a while. ( my guess is you're in this category ) For the rest of us carry on. I have precisely zero concerns for the odds on offer. ( I travel throughout Asia regularly and deal with and come in contact with literally hundreds of Chinese and Korean people every month)

we shouldn't worry about what this one does or try to reduce the impact because something else, that may not may - most certainly be worse beyond your level of critical thinking - worse, could not could - is happening in the future! now and will only get much worse, beyond your worst nightmares
Not at all, it's wise to be prudent , but the OTT reaction to this is certainly not commensurate, particularly considering the current apathy and denial towards the indisputable science of the existential threat we really do face. Rather like being on a runaway train heading for a cliff and worrying about the temperature of the tea on offer.

Did you open the link attached in my previous reply? did you have a read ? ....didnt think so. Good luck champ.

Diesel

Referee
I don't think that what the NRL wants really matters.

The broadcasters hold the money and power in this situation, if they aren't willing for the competition to stop then it'll go on in some form.
I can see it going three ways, suspend the competition, play 7 games a round and Warriors/other team gets buys or force the Warriors to play in Australia.

If it’s the later which would be wrong for a number of reasons, expect the Warriors to want something decent in return, like a SoO game or a GF

Canard

Immortal
I can see it going three ways, suspend the competition, play 7 games a round and Warriors/other team gets buys or force the Warriors to play in Australia.

If it’s the later which would be wrong for a number of reasons, expect the Warriors to want something decent in return, like a SoO game or a GF

The players get zero benefit from any of those "sweeteners".

It's only a matter of time before a player gets it in Australia anyway, and that will lead to a suspended season.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
While the threat of the coronavirus possibly causing the NRL to postpone its season, players face the prospect of losing millions if the 2020 season continues to be played behind closed doors.

Reports emerged on Saturday that an "act of god clause" in every NRL player's contract stipulates that some of the costs associated with the fan lockout will be passed onto the players.

The Australian's Brent Read told Triple M that a provision in the Collective Bargaining agreement allows the NRL to cut and suspend payments to players in the event of the game suffering an unforeseen financial catastrophe.
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-st...d-clause/06d8d804-fd8e-492d-aff0-2117b5d3a671

Welp I guess that makes the decision easier for players.

Eelectrica

Referee
Fox and channel 9 have paid the NRL to have games played. If the NRL can't deliver they're going to be wanting some of those $$$ back.
No win situation for anyone.

Maybe the warriors games get shared points until/if the comp can resume its usual schedule. Not ideal, but their is no ideal solution.

Games getting played in front of empty stadiums keeps the TV contracts going at least.

Valheru

Coach
Precisely. It's quickly becoming commonplace in Europe, America & Asia. It's accepted risk minimization.. and it has to happen here.

Delay the season for a month, then reassess (Grand final early November). If it's still no good, give it another month (GF possibly December). If STILL no good, write-off the season.

There are chances to re-assess. Pressing pause doesn't *necessarily* mean the end of season 2020.

Exactly.

Even if we get to the point of say a 16 game season and the draw modified so that everyone plays each other once plus a rival twice in that period. It is still better than nothing.

Eelectrica

Referee
Exactly.

Even if we get to the point of say a 16 game season and the draw modified so that everyone plays each other once plus a rival twice in that period. It is still better than nothing.
Yep. I honestly think that would be the best solution to this whole thing. Hopefully in a couple of months we'll have some kind of control over this thing.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I was talking with my friend who works in health research about the lock down and he said it could be around a month.

Thats more or less what Japan has done with live events in a panic to keep the Olympics. They do have a pretty flat infection curve but one wonders if thats from not doing a lot of testing

sempmrh

Juniors
It’s bizarre how much things have changed in just a matter of days. Fortunately in Australia things aren’t as bad as other places in the world and I’m optimistic that given time and with the right precautions things will improve and we can all get on with it.

Regarding the ‘it’s just the flu’ v. ‘it’s worse than the flu’ discussion - it’s probably worth noting that the symptoms are typically described as being flu-like and for most are fairly mild. Like the flu it’s worse for the elderly or people with certain pre-existing conditions. Obviously now it’s not ‘just the flu’ but you can understand how people might think that. Jumping down each other’s throats doesn’t help anyone.

I hope everyone picks their news sources wisely. Some of the big news outlets are pushing alarmist and doom and gloom stories. Obviously things are serious but I don’t think those stories are helping at all.

Also, just a quick reminder. I work for one of the major retailers. Please for the sake of everybody’s sanity - chill the f**k out. The world isn’t ending and the shops are going to be open tomorrow, the next day and the day after that. Be patient and be respectful to staff. Supply chains are breaking down due to a very unprecedented situation and we’re doing the best we can. So please, again - chill the f**k out.

The New Zealand situation obviously causes a huge headache for the NRL and I think the most realistic outcome going forward is for the competition to be temporarily suspended. Give it a month and see how things are. Either knock four rounds off the season or run it in full - either way, it’s probably for the best.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
clubs couldn’t afford to not play the season, nrl would have to dip into its reserves to keep them afloat. But then tv wouldn’t want to pay $400mill for nothing. Maybe they’ll suspend it for 4-6weeks, cancel the ashes tour and play into late November?

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s bizarre how much things have changed in just a matter of days. Fortunately in Australia things aren’t as bad as other places in the world and I’m optimistic that given time and with the right precautions things will improve and we can all get on with it.

Regarding the ‘it’s just the flu’ v. ‘it’s worse than the flu’ discussion - it’s probably worth nothing that the symptoms are typically described as being flu-like and for most are fairly mild. Like the flu it’s worse for the elderly or people with certain pre-existing conditions. Obviously now it’s not ‘just the flu’ but you can understand how people might think that. Jumping down each other’s throats doesn’t help anyone.

I hope everyone picks their news sources wisely. Some of the big news outlets are pushing alarmist and doom and gloom stories. Obviously things are serious but I don’t think those stories are helping at all.

Also, just a quick reminder. I work for one of the major retailers. Please for the sake of everybody’s sanity - chill the f**k out. The world isn’t ending and the shops are going to be open tomorrow, the next day and the day after that. Be patient and be respectful to staff. Supply chains are breaking down due to a very unprecedented situation and we’re doing the best we can. So please, again - chill the f**k out.

The New Zealand situation obviously causes a huge headache for the NRL and I think the most realistic outcome going forward is for the competition to be temporarily suspended. Give it a month and see how things are. Either knock four rounds off the season or run it in full - either way, it’s probably for the best.

went shopping today, they’ve restricted the sale of pasta in coles lol. Wtf, if I’m stocking up for Armageddon I’m not wanting to live on pasta. People really are dumb merkins lol.

Cactus

Juniors
How about this. Why don't we keep playing games until such time as we are over the hump of this medical issue and the medias' carry on, and we then get back to business with crowds attached.

Logistics aside, its not that complicated.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How about this. Why don't we keep playing games until such time as we are over the hump of this medical issue and the medias' carry on, and we then get back to business with crowds attached.

Logistics aside, its not that complicated.

that would be the logical thing, it’s not like companies are closing up so staff don’t have to work together. No reason games can’t continue, I guess if a player does get tested positive then the big problem arises as anyone in contact with them should isolate for two weeks so that wipes out two teams at least. Or you do t like most work places are doing and only isolate if you develop symptoms or test positive. Having said that the incidence is still so low at moment the odds of players getting it are pretty low.

t-ba

Post Whore
that would be the logical thing, it’s not like companies are closing up so staff don’t have to work together. No reason games can’t continue, I guess if a player does get tested positive then the big problem arises as anyone in contact with them should isolate for two weeks so that wipes out two teams at least. Or you do t like most work places are doing and only isolate if you develop symptoms or test positive. Having said that the incidence is still so low at moment the odds of players getting it are pretty low.

Mate these guys are young and clearly have very little impulse control.

Short of caging them they'll be out doing shit and someone will inevitably pick it up.