What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye friz

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Mmm not sure how I feel about this if true.
Part of me thinks he's at his limit here and there would be zero growth, and part of me thinks he's a great clubman who we should look after. Somehow I think he's better off trying his luck elsewhere.

At the same time it opens the door for a few others to come through.

I'm liking what I see from Tyrell, but needs consistency for a few more matches to have me convinced.
Host is a very good player and under the right coach could well become a very handy start or bench player.
Ford is up and coming and like Host can fill that start or bench roll.

All these guys would be at 1/3rd the cost of Friz with some growth and development as well.

Friz has played for State and Country, but there are a few now nipping at his heals for his position, I guess the extra 100k a season may well be a cover for that.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I would look at the juniors who have gone because there has not been to translation to first grade
On Tyson, one of my favourite players. I thought that after watching McIdiot throwing him under the bus at the post game interview, my first thoughts were that he would be leaving.
I don’t really think that he will taste a premiership with Newcastle.
Tyson, I wish you all the best for the future and thanks for the memories.
And to our coach Feck you

Newcastle are a middling club with no chance of a premiership on the horizon, yet Frizell wants to leave.

If this isn’t a damning indictment of McGregor, I don’t know what is one.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Don’t blame him but I can see some players having to leave Newy or take pay cuts to fit him in. If that happens they won’t be as much of a chance of a premiership. Ponga has been tossing up the All Blacks for years himself so we will see what happens there.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
its probably not the money anyway but we shouldnt be spending over $700k pa for Friz

I get why there are a few backrowers that will demand $750k plus but I dont think Friz is that guy

Boyd Cordner 168 games and 48 tries
Friz 160 games and 22 tries
David Fafita I would pay $900k plus for at 20yrs of age and already scored 10 tries as a backrower and is a recking ball

hope Friz stays at $650k pa but is he is being offered closer to $750k pa then we have to get the spread across our cap better and if we truly have another player opportunity for the edge at better value lets take it.........Hunt, Norman and Friz are not the 3 players for me to hold up such a massive amount of dollars

roosters have a much smarter spread across the playing group as one example we could follow yet it remains to be seen how their team functions post a $1mill dollar half back (CC)

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Let’s see...

Morris, Dugan, Packer, Thompson, Widdop, Mann, MacDonald and Frizell.

All gone because of McIdiot.

Who have I omitted?
Mate what are you talking about?
Our coach is rubbish I get that but you can't say every player has left because of the coach? Players move around, its not unique to our club.

SnowDragon

Juniors
It’s a shame he is leaving.

good effort player, right mentality. But so be it.

Salary cap management is the key, and we would have had to question outbidding the knights if we did.

we have a chance to rejuvenate the roster, and focus on the up and comings may be key.

mickeylane

Bench
Player contracts will be Broken left right and centre post this 80% pay decrease! The player managers are going to have a field day suing the NRL and clubs.. I believe there could be a mass amount of moving deck chairs by the end of the year once the dust settles.. Players will have to start going to the highest bidder and its better imo if you have a lot of room under your cap because there will be a lot of disgruntled players , I’m even guessing the salary cap may decrease to $5m-$6m in 2021/22 to accomodate the loss of sponsorships and broadcast income

Dragonsamy

Bench
Hammer. Nail. Head.

Your choice is to play under a highly regarded Bellamy/Robinson protege or someone who:
was punted immediately by Bennett
takes coaching tips from Craig Young
would prefer a field was 98mtrs
thinks tries from kicks don’t count
thinks a 45km drive is to exhausting for players
thinks a bench is where judges sit

Totally agree the big factor is as stated above

Last edited:

Dragonsamy

Bench
Part of me is pissed but the other feels sorry for Tyson. The way Mcflop carried himself during that Penrith press conference speaks volumes for this turd and why should any player have to deal with this??

The berating of players putting their bodies on the line week after week for such an incompetent and embarrassing fool is way too much to ask. Thank you for your service Frizz, you have been a favourite of mine for many years but I genuinely hope you get a crack at a premiership before it’s too late.

Mary you can F*** off now, you have destroyed this club over the last 5 years ya peanut

I agree with what your saying but Mary is not the only one .
We must remember that every member of the board are equally or more to blame and must all be removed along with the coach.
I know our history is our strongest point but it's also you weakest point.
Too many people living in the past within our club and thinking just because we have a great history that everything will be alright.
If they don't wake up soon we will not have a club

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Player contracts will be Broken left right and centre post this 80% pay decrease! The player managers are going to have a field day suing the NRL and clubs.. I believe there could be a mass amount of moving deck chairs by the end of the year once the dust settles.. Players will have to start going to the highest bidder and its better imo if you have a lot of room under your cap because there will be a lot of disgruntled players , I’m even guessing the salary cap may decrease to $5m-$6m in 2021/22 to accomodate the loss of sponsorships and broadcast income
Good time to snag Suli if Manly are under pressure.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors

Much of what you say may well be true. But I cannot see player managers suing anyone. Every contract has Force Majeure provisions (unforeseeable contract disrupting circumstances). My unprofessional opinion is the Corona virus is a pretty major force Majeure event. Suing would be a waste of their time and money.

Life's Good

Coach
Sue the NRL & clubs? If the games goes under, there’s no one to sue. It’s quite simple, the players(& managers)need to wake up & accept they need to ride out the current situation until it improves. What the game looks like when that happens is anyone’s guess but the days of largesse are well & truly over.

Crush

Coach
Sue the NRL & clubs? If the games goes under, there’s no one to sue. It’s quite simple, the players(& managers)need to wake up & accept they need to ride out the current situation until it improves. What the game looks like when that happens is anyone’s guess but the days of largesse are well & truly over.
Exactly, whats happening in the NRL is happening in many affected industries. I have taken a pay cut for now, fingers crossed that I don't lose my job altogether. I cannot however look to move to a rival company because their staff are also taking pay cuts and losing jobs!
Just like the NRL players the only thing to do is ride it out and know this is temporary.

gregstar

Referee
Quite ironic he's gone to the knights where they are.

We're headed to where they were.

Kudos management.
Yet another win.
The last decade has been full of them.

I have lived in Brissie since they joined the comp.
The last couple of seasons have actually started drawing me closer to them which is truly astonishing given the utter contempt i held them in for all of that time. Most of the big names are gone which has taken much of the dick out of them.

We really are rooted aren't we.
Sad.

BLM01

First Grade
Good luck Frizz. Great competitor. Done the jersey proud. Greener pastures. Better team environment. Better coaching unknown yet but I like how their coach speaks over our hypnotist...so I will say better coaching. And of course better football staff and management. That covers it...but worse location...the Gong is better.

roosters have a much smarter spread across the playing group as one example we could follow yet it remains to be seen how their team functions post a $1mill dollar half back (CC)

But a club which equates mediocrity with success and considers Mc85 head coach material will always pay overs (including for rejects) and never achieve a smart spread.

Straight Shooter

Quite ironic he's gone to the knights where they are.

We're headed to where they were.

Kudos management.
Yet another win.
The last decade has been full of them.

I have lived in Brissie since they joined the comp.
The last couple of seasons have actually started drawing me closer to them which is truly astonishing given the utter contempt i held them in for all of that time. Most of the big names are gone which has taken much of the dick out of them.

We really are rooted aren't we.
Sad.

Gregstar, don’t be tempted by the Dark side of the force.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
He is a good clubman but seriously is he worth what the Knights were prepared to pay?
Wish him well but he was not a match winner for the Dragons.
At age 29 I cannot see him getting any better and will become injury prone as his body wears out.

Latest posts